The Student Room Group

A level chemistry help

I don't understand
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hii84y4
I don't understand

The equilibrium is H2 + I2 <=> 2HI. K= [HI]^2 /

[I2].

So when you increase H2 under same temperature K doesn't change, so some but not all added H2 will react with I2 to form more HI until you have a new equilibrium where reaction quotient (Q) is again equal to K. Initially when you increase

the denominator of Q is greater so

X [I2] has to decrease and [HI] has to increase. When the mixture reaches equilibrium again the numerator is greater than it was before since there is more HI now. So the denominator must also be greater than before for the ratio to be equal to K. However since we have less [I2],

must be greater than it was before adding H2. So not all of the added H2 will react.
Reply 2
Original post by thomas.rhett
The equilibrium is H2 + I2 <=> 2HI. K= [HI]^2 /

[I2].

So when you increase H2 under same temperature K doesn't change, so some but not all added H2 will react with I2 to form more HI until you have a new equilibrium where reaction quotient (Q) is again equal to K. Initially when you increase

the denominator of Q is greater so

X [I2] has to decrease and [HI] has to increase. When the mixture reaches equilibrium again the numerator is greater than it was before since there is more HI now. So the denominator must also be greater than before for the ratio to be equal to K. However since we have less [I2],

must be greater than it was before adding H2. So not all of the added H2 will react.

I'm sorry but i don't understand i feel bad especially as you gave such a thorough explanation :frown:
Original post by Hii84y4
I'm sorry but i don't understand i feel bad especially as you gave such a thorough explanation :frown:

Have you covered equilibria in school? Do you understand the H2 + I2 <=> 2HI equilibrium here?
Reply 4
Have you covered equilibria in school? Do you understand the H2 + I2 <=> 2HI equilibrium here?

I'm a private candidate so I'm teaching myself
Original post by Hii84y4

Which part of the explanation don't you understand?
Reply 6
Original post by Hii84y4

I think you should find some videos about equilibrium online first.
Original post by Hii84y4

H2 + I2 <=> 2HI

You can also look at it in terms of kinetics. When you increase

the _rate_ of forward reaction increases (unless the reaction in 0th order in H2). This will increase [HI] since now rate of forward reaction is greater than the backward reaction. Increase in [HI] increases rate of backward reaction and a new equilibrium is reached with more product or [HI] when rate of backward reaction equals forward reaction. Again there is less [I2] because some of it reacted to make more [HI] but since rate of forward reaction is greater than in the previous equilibrium

must be higher.
Reply 8
I might be wrong but this looks like a simple question on Le Chatelier's principle. You are changing the conc of one of the substances in an equilibrium mixture.

try here for an explanation on Le Chateliers principle https://science-revision.co.uk/A-level_equilibrium_conditions.html

apologies if its wrong but your question is posted on its side!
Reply 9
I might be wrong but this looks like a simple question on Le Chatelier's principle. You are changing the conc of one of the substances in an equilibrium mixture.

try here for an explanation on Le Chateliers principle https://science-revision.co.uk/A-level_equilibrium_conditions.html

or here if your doing gcse https://science-revision.co.uk/Le_Chatelier_principle.html

apologies if its wrong but your question is posted on its side!
Reply 10
Which part of the explanation don't you understand?

Not sure if this is right but thinking about this question in terms of Kc, Kc will decrease but cannot change because Kc is only affected by temp so equilibrium shifts to the right to restore Kc. This means [2HI] increases and

and [I2] decreases but why is the

greater ?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hii84y4
Not sure if this is right but thinking about this question in terms of Kc, Kc will decrease but cannot change because Kc is only affected by temp so equilibrium shifts to the right to restore Kc. This means [2HI] increases and

and [I2] decreases but why is the

greater ?

at 2nd (new) equilibrium has to be greater than

at 1st equilibrium because [I2] at 2nd equilibrium is less than [I2] at 1st equilibrium. Kc is the same but [HI] is higher at 2nd equilibrium which means,

*[I2] must be higher otherwise ratio won't be the same. Yet we know [I2] is lower so the only way the product can be higher is if

is higher.

You should check mark schemes of your specification to see how they want you to explain these things.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hii84y4
I don't understand

Have you fully understood now

Quick Reply

Latest