The Student Room Group

A level RS dialogues question

The use of animals in scientific procedures is incompatible with Christian compassion (25 marks)

Critically examine and evaluate this view with reference to the dialogue between Christianity and ethical studies.

I've recieved this question by my teacher to create a plan on how I would answer it, but I have no idea how I would even structure a 25 marker in general. Does anybody know they would structure this question, and 25 markers in general?
Reply 1
Original post by Grace Appleby
The use of animals in scientific procedures is incompatible with Christian compassion (25 marks)

Critically examine and evaluate this view with reference to the dialogue between Christianity and ethical studies.

I've recieved this question by my teacher to create a plan on how I would answer it, but I have no idea how I would even structure a 25 marker in general. Does anybody know they would structure this question, and 25 markers in general?

25 mark questions are 10 marks for AO1, 15 for AO2 - they are basically 10 and 15 mark questions blended together.

So, you need to do the AO1 explanation you would do in 10 mark questions, as well as the evaluation you would do in 15 mark questions.

Since this is an application question, you would need to first explain the issue and what is being applied to it.

You need to explain what is involved in the use of animals in scientific procedures, then explain what is meant by Christian compassion, and then how it applied to animals.

For evaluation you can explain and evaluate different Christian ethical perspectives on this question. Situation ethics and natural law are great options. They each claim to be the true valid Christian ethics and will have quite different answers to this question - so evaluating which is the true valid form of Christian ethics will be relevant.

Also the Bible from the sources of wisdom and authority topic is good to use, because the conservative view would take the Biblical evidence as the perfect word of God, but the liberal view would take a different approach and you could evaluate which is correct and what that approach then says about compassion and animals will give you your answer.

The dominion and stewardship topic is also going to be relevant.

Quick Reply