University; anyone have any tip or adivce into revising for summer exams

Watch this thread
lordwho101
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
does anyone have any tips or advice for revising the summer exams, such as what time to revise and what are an effective method of revision? for me, I normally revise by reading chapters of the main textbooks for my modules and writing key points at different times, which is not effective for me.
penguingirl18
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
What subject? It's hard to say without knowing. Generally speaking, engage your working memory, I guess. Also, when you say time, do you mean time of day or length of revision session?
Last edited by penguingirl18; 3 months ago
Miriam-Mimmy
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
There are different ways to revise but it depends on an individual. For example, there are people who are early birds (they are early risers) and they could take that opportunity to revise when they are still energetic and fresh. Others are late sleepers and could use that time to revise. Others could also revise during the day when they have spare time. My advice is to determine what suits you and when is the best time for you to do the revision, that is when you are likely to grasp issues. As you revise, jot down short notes that you feel are important. Best regards
lordwho101
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by penguingirl18)
What subject? It's hard to say without knowing. Generally speaking, engage your working memory, I guess. Also, when you say time, do you mean time of day or length of revision session?
finance and accounting. i mean time, i mean time of day or the length of revision session
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi @lordwho101 a good way to revise is to work in a way that you actually retain the information, and one way to do this is through repetition. Make yourself flashcards or buy flashcards on the subject you are studying and test yourself or have others test you, through the use of the flashcards. By doing this repetitively and by doing it in short bites of information you will be more likely to remember it. You could also go through your module notes and make a word document filled with condensed useful information (use SmartArt on the word document to separate information). Doing this gets you to go through module information, gain an understanding of it (through thinking about it in your own way in order to write succinctly), and then you will also have made yourself a revision document that you can learn and be tested on.

Past papers are also a good way to test your knowledge and to figure out which area you need to improve on. If you had recorded lectures you can then re-watch the modules which you need to improve your learning of. If you didn't have recorded lectures you can still go through the PowerPoint presentations and go through your notes. You can also have revision sessions with friends on your course (online or in person) and you can test each other or they can help you understand a concept you were having trouble with.

You could also make yourself a study plan, where you decide in advance what topic to revise each day, or give yourself a certain amount of hours to complete in a day, for example you may choose to revise four hours a day, but the way this is spread out throughout the entire day is up to you. You could ask friends or family to keep you on track, by asking them to remind you to revise at a certain time or they could help you revise (such as, they ask you for definitions, or if you have flashcards with questions and answers on them they can ask the questions and you can answer).

I hope you find this helpful, and best of luck revising for your exams.

- Rosie
Last edited by hallamstudents; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (29)
26.13%
As I expected (37)
33.33%
Harder (38)
34.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads