The Student Room Group

Struggling to make your firm and insurance choices? Get support here!

Poll

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

Are you struggling with deciding which university is best for you?

Are you unsure which uni you want to be your firm and insurance?

You're not alone!

This is the support thread for anyone who is struggling to make their decision - let us know what you're thinking and how you're feeling and chat to others who are also making their decisions.

What universities are you deciding between?

What are the main considerations when choosing your firm and insurance?

Do you have any particular worries?

We have some helpful advice here on TSR if you need some extra support:

Download our Google template to compare two different universities and ask yourselves the most important questions you need to consider.

Read our article all about firm and insurance choices and how to make your decision.

Still waiting on offer? Join our wait mega thread here.

Good luck to everyone making their choices! :woo:

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Is AAA too high for an insurance choice if Durham is A*AA? I do have another option for insurance that is lower but I don't want to go there.... advice would be appreciated.
Original post by callumtilley1
Hello! Is AAA too high for an insurance choice if Durham is A*AA? I do have another option for insurance that is lower but I don't want to go there.... advice would be appreciated.

Hey! I would usually recommend that the choice is at least 1-2 grades lower than your firm choice to ensure you have some leeway and don't end up missing out on both offers. What do you think your chances are of achieving AAA?

If you don't want to go to your other choice, then it's best not to put it as your insurance as you won't want to go if your firm doesn't work out and it's a wasted choice.
I have narrowed down my 2 choices for university. Will each university know if i have firmed or insured them? Will each university know who they are competing with. The reason for asking is that i have also applied for a scholarship and I am concerned that my 'insured' may not offer on grounds of being a insured choice.
Original post by Raynerm
I have narrowed down my 2 choices for university. Will each university know if i have firmed or insured them? Will each university know who they are competing with. The reason for asking is that i have also applied for a scholarship and I am concerned that my 'insured' may not offer on grounds of being a insured choice.

The universities will know if you have picked them as a firm or insurance choice, but whether it affects your scholarship will depend if there is a condition to it that states you have to pick them as a firm choice. I would double check with the university you are applying for a scholarship with that this won't affect it before making your final decisions - there will be no repercussions for checking. Good luck with your exams! :smile:
Original post by StrawberryDreams
The universities will know if you have picked them as a firm or insurance choice, but whether it affects your scholarship will depend if there is a condition to it that states you have to pick them as a firm choice. I would double check with the university you are applying for a scholarship with that this won't affect it before making your final decisions - there will be no repercussions for checking. Good luck with your exams! :smile:

hey!
I hold an offer for MSc, and the deadline to make the deposit is here, however, I haven't been notified from the Uni about the scholarship yet.
Do you have an idea that if I pay my deposit, the Uni would still consider granting the scholarship?
Please do let me know.
Thankyou :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Drsht
hey!
I hold an offer for MSc, and the deadline to make the deposit is here, however, I haven't been notified from the Uni about the scholarship yet.
Do you have an idea that if I pay my deposit, the Uni would still consider granting the scholarship?
Please do let me know.
Thankyou :smile:

Hi there :smile:

The only way to know for sure is to contact the university scholarships team and ask them about the progress of your application, and when you will hear back. Are you able to attend this uni without the scholarship, or is it completely dependent on it? If so, make the uni aware of this so they have all the facts, especially if you're close to the deadline.

I hope this helps :biggrin:
Hi there :smile:

The only way to know for sure is to contact the university scholarships team and ask them about the progress of your application, and when you will hear back. Are you able to attend this uni without the scholarship, or is it completely dependent on it? If so, make the uni aware of this so they have all the facts, especially if you're close to the deadline.

I hope this helps :biggrin:

Yeah actually the stated time frames are like- for scholarship it's likely to hear within six weeks of receiving the offer, however, to make deposit the deadline stated is just 4 weeks from having the offer.

I did contact the University, they are asking to wait till six weeks atleast but I am concerned for the passing date for making the deposit.

And I just don't want to make the deposit without having the confirmation about the scholarship because then it makes me feel the less possibility of being notified.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Drsht
Yeah actually the stated time frames are like- for scholarship it's likely to hear within six weeks of receiving the offer, however, to make deposit the deadline stated is just 4 weeks from having the offer.

I did contact the University, they are asking to wait till six weeks atleast but I am concerned for the passing date for making the deposit.

And I just don't want to make the deposit without having the confirmation about the scholarship because then it makes me feel the less possibility of being notified.

Ah that's a really tricky one :frown:

Have you expressed to them the concerns around making the deposit if you don't get your scholarship when you spoke to them?

When you say you feel there is less possibility of being notified, what do you mean by this?

If it's a financial concern, it may be worth another chat and explaining that without the scholarship you would be unable to accept the offer (if that's the case) and see if they have a process for this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if you were not the first person to experience this, so chat to the admission team and see if they can help.
Ah that's a really tricky one :frown:

Have you expressed to them the concerns around making the deposit if you don't get your scholarship when you spoke to them?

When you say you feel there is less possibility of being notified, what do you mean by this?

If it's a financial concern, it may be worth another chat and explaining that without the scholarship you would be unable to accept the offer (if that's the case) and see if they have a process for this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if you were not the first person to experience this, so chat to the admission team and see if they can help.

It really is! :frown:

I have contacted them in ways now, they are asking me to be patient with the deadlines and I really am clueless on what to do next.

Even requested them for an extension, don't think so they will grant since they mentioned that already.

With saying less chances, what I mean is once the deposit is made, the next step for them is to issue a CAS for an international student and I feel like what if they directly step onto that without notifying me about the scholarship, it's purely my thought, I don't know how it goes about!
It's a financial concern, that's why I just don't want to rush with.

It won't make sense if I continuously ping them with the same issue :|

I just hope with this situation that I could secure my offer on time, or even after the deadline passes!
(edited 1 year ago)

Are you struggling with deciding which university is best for you?

Are you unsure which uni you want to be your firm and insurance?

You're not alone!

This is the support thread for anyone who is struggling to make their decision - let us know what you're thinking and how you're feeling and chat to others who are also making their decisions.

What universities are you deciding between?

What are the main considerations when choosing your firm and insurance?

Do you have any particular worries?

We have some helpful advice here on TSR if you need some extra support:

Download our Google template to compare two different universities and ask yourselves the most important questions you need to consider.

Read our article all about firm and insurance choices and how to make your decision.

Still waiting on offer? Join our wait mega thread here.

Good luck to everyone making their choices! :woo:

Hi guys,
NEED YOUR HELPPPP PLSSSS!!!
Okay so basically I have received all my offers for uni and I’m really happy with the grades they’ve given me. I want to make Uni of Manchester my firm choice as they’ve lowered the grade boundaries to BBB from AAA for bsc psychology . The problem is with my insurance choice. Im stuck between choosing uni of Liverpool who have offered BBC with a B in a level psych, and Uni of Leicester which have offered BCC?!!! I want to choose Liverpool as it is closer to home and I don’t want to move out but Leicester have lower grade boundaries so it would be good if I did really bad in A levels. IM NOT SURE WHICH TO PICK AND I HAVE LESS THAN A MONTH TO CHOOSE PLS HELPPPP!!!!!!
Hello, I have a question, I got rejected from all my 4 choices for medicine and I'm thinking of taking a gap year. I have an offer from Strathclyde for pharmacy, my question is that can I firm my pharmacy offer and wait to see my exam results in August and maybe do the ucat in late July and If I got my AAA in advanced then cancel the pharmacy offer and apply to medicine?
Original post by meemmeememme
Hi guys,
Okay so basically I have received all my offers for uni and I’m really happy with the grades they’ve given me. I want to make Uni of Manchester my firm choice as they’ve lowered the grade boundaries to BBB from AAA for bsc psychology . The problem is with my insurance choice. Im stuck between choosing uni of Liverpool who have offered BBC with a B in a level psych, and Uni of Leicester which have offered BCC?!!! I want to choose Liverpool as it is closer to home and I don’t want to move out but Leicester have lower grade boundaries so it would be good if I did really bad in A levels. IM NOT SURE WHICH TO PICK AND I HAVE LESS THAN A MONTH TO CHOOSE PLS HELPPPP!!!!!!

Hey!

So it depends on how you think how the exams are going/have gone as to which one you decide - remember you don't have to make your mind up until the 9th June (nothing will happen if you decide earlier).If they are both below your firm choice, then that is the most sensible thing to consider :smile: I'd go for the university you feel most at home at, regardless of the grade boundaries. Would you actually go to Leicester if you missed your offer or would you be unhappy? It's important not to risk your insurance choice on a option you wouldn't actually want to go to.

Good luck :biggrin:

Original post by Hussein2004
Hello, I have a question, I got rejected from all my 4 choices for medicine and I'm thinking of taking a gap year. I have an offer from Strathclyde for pharmacy, my question is that can I firm my pharmacy offer and wait to see my exam results in August and maybe do the ucat in late July and If I got my AAA in advanced then cancel the pharmacy offer and apply to medicine?

Hey!

Do you mean apply for medicine for 2023 entry if you get AAA? If so, yes you can firm your Pharmacy offer and then withdraw your application after results day if you no longer want to attend because you got the grades you wanted. You would then need to create a new application for 2023 entry and go through the process again. Is that helpful? :smile:
Hi guys,

Hey!

So it depends on how you think how the exams are going/have gone as to which one you decide - remember you don't have to make your mind up until the 9th June (nothing will happen if you decide earlier).If they are both below your firm choice, then that is the most sensible thing to consider :smile: I'd go for the university you feel most at home at, regardless of the grade boundaries. Would you actually go to Leicester if you missed your offer or would you be unhappy? It's important not to risk your insurance choice on a option you wouldn't actually want to go to.

Hey!

Do you mean apply for medicine for 2023 entry if you get AAA? If so, yes you can firm your Pharmacy offer and then withdraw your application after results day if you no longer want to attend because you got the grades you wanted. You would then need to create a new application for 2023 entry and go through the process again.

Good luck! :smile:
Hi guys,

Sorry, I can not answer your question, but I have a question for you since my daughter also holds an offer from Manchester. Did they lower the grade boundaries after the offer ? You asked them to lower ? Or your offer was already lower than what is normally given or what is on their webpage ?
Thank you
Hey!

Hey!

Do you mean apply for medicine for 2023 entry if you get AAA? If so, yes you can firm your Pharmacy offer and then withdraw your application after results day if you no longer want to attend because you got the grades you wanted. You would then need to create a new application for 2023 entry and go through the process again. Is that helpful? :smile:

Thanks so much! I’ll definitely see how I feel after exams!
I have all my offers in and pondering on these. I got all 5. I managed to get both of my aspirational offers too which is good but both would involve a GCSE math resit which i have recently pulled out of. I have been doing the math GCSE course all year but my head just isn't on it and i want to put all my efforts with my A levels to ensure maximum grades. I am also considering a gap year. If i did a gap year and studied GCSE math in that same year at a local college do i need to change my latest school on UCAS, change tutor reference etc. I dont mind if i have to, its just so that i know what i need to do.

My 2 narrowed down offers are AAC or AAB. I am predicted A*AC so i feel i am in a strong position
Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Hey!

Do you mean apply for medicine for 2023 entry if you get AAA? If so, yes you can firm your Pharmacy offer and then withdraw your application after results day if you no longer want to attend because you got the grades you wanted. You would then need to create a new application for 2023 entry and go through the process again.

Good luck! :smile:

Hello,
Would withdrawing affect my chances if I apply to pharmacy again?
Original post by Raynerm
I have all my offers in and pondering on these. I got all 5. I managed to get both of my aspirational offers too which is good but both would involve a GCSE math resit which i have recently pulled out of. I have been doing the math GCSE course all year but my head just isn't on it and i want to put all my efforts with my A levels to ensure maximum grades. I am also considering a gap year. If i did a gap year and studied GCSE math in that same year at a local college do i need to change my latest school on UCAS, change tutor reference etc. I dont mind if i have to, its just so that i know what i need to do.

My 2 narrowed down offers are AAC or AAB. I am predicted A*AC so i feel i am in a strong position

You would have to completely re-apply next year if you declined your other offers. Bear in mind that there is never a 100% guarantee that you will get the same offers again.
With the 2 narrowed down offers, do they need the GCSE maths?
If not, do you want to go to them?
Original post by Raynerm

Hi! congratulations on receiving 5 offers :smile:

If you don't do your GCSE resit this year, that will mean you wouldn't mean conditions of your offer for your aspirational choices, so I wouldn't put either of those down as your firm/insurance choice as GCSE requirements are usually very strict. Do you meet the requirements of your other offers without the resit?

If you did a gap year and re-did your Maths GCSE, you would need to reapply through Ucas with a new application and update all the details on this application to match your new circumstances.

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Original post by Dgirly
Can someone help please. I got all 5 offers for mental health nursing and I am going to choose between city and lsbu. I really want to firm city but their open day is on the 25th of June while last day of accepting is 6th of June. I'm struggling to get info on lecture times(starting and finishing), placement times/hours daily and the trusts. I am asking because I will be living at home which is about an hour journey, so I can plan things and decide on what to do. I tried getting this info over the phone from lsbu but couldn't. I even travelled to the school but they couldn't answer. Please are there people in any of these two schools that can help me?

I'm sorry you've been having trouble getting information :frown: Your best bet is to try the enquiries team who should be able to help you, fill out this form and they'll get in contact https://www.lsbu.ac.uk/study/form/one-to-one-consultation-form - explain the trouble you've been having finding this info. Good luck!

Hello,
Would withdrawing affect my chances if I apply to pharmacy again?

Withdrawing shouldn't affect your chances no, it just means it wasn't right for you at that time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest