Year 10s and 12s - would you want Advance Information for exams next year?

Watch this thread
Poll: Year 10s and 12s - would you want Advance Information for exams next year?
Yes, definitely (105)
46.88%
No we don't need it (99)
44.2%
I'm not sure (20)
8.93%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If you're in Year 10 or 12 this year, you might have seen some stuff about the Advance Information that Year 11s and 13s have been given this year, ahead of their exams. It's part of the support package that's been put together to help them prioritise their revision. There's a few other bits in it too (you can check out their nifty diagram which explains it).

Obviously you've got a whole year before you've got to think about your exams, so don't worry!

But we were wondering whether, with the disruption you've had over the past couple of years - would you like to have something like Advance Information when you sit your exams next year?
chloek0145
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Definitely don't need it. Anyone who voted yes just wants the extra help I think
sufys
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
If you're in Year 10 or 12 this year, you might have seen some stuff about the Advance Information that Year 11s and 13s have been given this year, ahead of their exams. It's part of the support package that's been put together to help them prioritise their revision. There's a few other bits in it too (you can check out their nifty diagram which explains it).

Obviously you've got a whole year before you've got to think about your exams, so don't worry!

But we were wondering whether, with the disruption you've had over the past couple of years - would you like to have something like Advance Information when you sit your exams next year?
No. Different exams boards are giving different amounts of useful information which only makes things unfair.
Gamstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
10/12s Having the same help as current 11/13s while having far less disruption doesn't really add up.
sufys
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Gamstar)
10/12s Having the same help as current 11/13s while having far less disruption doesn't really add up.
Less disruption? We missed the same amount of time in school. 11s and 13s just missed worse years to miss.
Last edited by sufys; 3 months ago
Talkative Toad
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm not in Y12 or Y10 but I do think that exams need to go back to normal (I even think that it should have happened this year) or that the government needs to wake up and realise that maybe it's time to change the current exams system as COVID has highlighted the flaws with it (I've been complaining about the flaws since 2017-2019).

And I agree with sufys, there's been some inconsistency and confusion when it comes to the exams info thread here (OP gives a good explanation): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7186493

Hopefully if exams info is being given out next year, they'll be less confusion and better consistency.
Gamstar
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sufys)
Less disruption? We missed the same amount of time in school. 11s and 13s just missed worse years to miss.
Less disruption to content they will be tested on.
sufys
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Gamstar)
Less disruption to content they will be tested on.
(Original post by mdbdidjdksnd)
Difference is, they missed lots of year 12/10 where they had to learn content online - content that will be coming up in the exam. Year 10/12's missed year 9/11 in which they hadn't even begun learning content for the exams in summer. Definitely not comparable in any sense.
Fair enough, though we did start learning the content in my school in year 9 (and they won't re-teach it). But it is certainly true that 11s and 13s were disrupted more in that sense.
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Super interesting to read your thoughts so far. We've heard around the place that some Year 10s and 12s might actually still be having a pretty disrupted time at school/college, especially with lots of teachers off sick again at the moment. I was wondering if anyone has found this?
jan33
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i'm a year 13 who didn't even have online lessons throughout most of the lockdowns, because my school was unequipped. I definitely don't think it's needed. the virtually none of this year has been actually disrupted. and people overestimate the importance of a couple of weeks, especially of year 12/10.

plus the advance information is awful and actually makes things worse, you don't want it.
rokerlegend
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
We already have specifications we don't need any more advanced information for the next few years even though im in year 13 and about to finish
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.9%
As I expected (73)
31.33%
Harder (87)
37.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.43%

Watched Threads