The Student Room Group

What degree should I do?

Hi, I am currently in year 12 doing maths, further maths, physics a-level and philosophy as level. I am predicted A*s but that doesn't really matter atm.
I would appreciate some advice or feedback on my situation which is as following:
I am aiming to apply to oxbridge as well as other Russell group unis mainly in London. I have looked at the undergraduate prospectuses and watched vidoes but I'm still very much unsure! The first degree/course that came to my mind was engineering because of the subjects I do and from what I know it seems more creative based comapred to other mathsy subjects, and I want to go into a degree that isn't just solving maths problems all day. Instead my ideal career would have a creative side in terms of you get to come up with new ideas, there's a lot of team work and it's not a boring office job. However I don't think engineering is the right degree for me because I don't think I am that invested in what they learn or do, no offence to anyone studying engineering.
Then I came across computer science but I don't think that I am interested in how computers work or coding that much, although I did do computer science GCSE (OCR).
Now I am considering economcis but it seems like a stretch for me, I only have a GCSE in Economics so I'm not as familiar with the subject as others who are doing the A level.
I want to go into a career that is creative and while I am good at maths I can't see myself spending all my time obssessing over it and I just prefer to go into a career with more social interactions.
If you have read up to here, thank you and I know that I'm interchanging with the words career and degree so sorry about that.
Please let me know if you have any advice, thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi, thank you so much for your response, may I ask why you chose those degrees?
Original post by CloverBoo
Hi, thank you so much for your response, may I ask why you chose those degrees?

"more creative based comapred to other mathsy subjects, and I want to go into a degree that isn't just solving maths problems all day. Instead my ideal career would have a creative side in terms of you get to come up with new ideas, there's a lot of team work and it's not a boring office job."
Hi, I am currently in year 12 doing maths, further maths, physics a-level and philosophy as level. I am predicted A*s but that doesn't really matter atm.
I would appreciate some advice or feedback on my situation which is as following:
I am aiming to apply to oxbridge as well as other Russell group unis mainly in London. I have looked at the undergraduate prospectuses and watched vidoes but I'm still very much unsure! The first degree/course that came to my mind was engineering because of the subjects I do and from what I know it seems more creative based comapred to other mathsy subjects, and I want to go into a degree that isn't just solving maths problems all day. Instead my ideal career would have a creative side in terms of you get to come up with new ideas, there's a lot of team work and it's not a boring office job. However I don't think engineering is the right degree for me because I don't think I am that invested in what they learn or do, no offence to anyone studying engineering.
Then I came across computer science but I don't think that I am interested in how computers work or coding that much, although I did do computer science GCSE (OCR).
Now I am considering economcis but it seems like a stretch for me, I only have a GCSE in Economics so I'm not as familiar with the subject as others who are doing the A level.
I want to go into a career that is creative and while I am good at maths I can't see myself spending all my time obssessing over it and I just prefer to go into a career with more social interactions.
If you have read up to here, thank you and I know that I'm interchanging with the words career and degree so sorry about that.

Hi, I'm currently a first-year studying Physics and Philosophy at Nottingham and I love studying it so much! At Nottingham, you get a really good balance of the two, which keeps it feeling very fresh as I'm not studying the same thing all the time. It's also an incredibly open degree. You could do a masters in either Physics or Philosophy after the degree, but because the skills you would gain doing this course are incredibly valued by many employers you have the opportunity to enter into so many different fields as opposed to some of the other courses that were suggested. Specifically, one of the great things I've found about Nottingham is how nice the campus is compared to other universities that I've seen. There's also a great level of teaching here which has challenged me but I've also known where I can get help if I needed it.

If you want me to talk in a bit more detail about the course just let me know. Hope this helps!

Hey,

I am a current 3rd year at the uni of Nottingham and I study Natural sciences.

Each uni that offers natural sciences works slightly differently however at Nottingham it works by you choosing 3 sciences to study in first year and then you drop down to 2 in second and third year.
I chose Biology, Chemistry and Psychology and now study Biology and Psychology.
Subjects you could chose from based on your A levels would be maths, physics, psychology, archaeology, earth science and ecosystems and environment.

One plus side is that you get a lot more flexibility when choosing modules compared to a straight science degree. You also can chose to take a year out for study abroad, placement, or a year in computer science (which is different to a lot of other degrees).

In 3rd year at Nottingham you also take a research project module where you work together with people on the course who take different sciences to solve a problem/work on a task. This allows you to be really creative as you have to either undergo and conduct your own research to write a research paper, make a grant proposal for future research or construct a policy paper.

If you have any questions about it at all just let me know,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending