Handwriting in GCSE English exams advice

Watch this thread
mellow2006
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I have recently done my final mocks for English Literature and English Language and I just received my English Literature mock results back with a grade 4. My teacher then explained that I only got this grade as they could not read my paper due to my handwriting.

I am currently aiming for a grade 9 in both English Literature and Language. Yet, now I feel that I should give up on that aim because whenever I write in exam conditions: my writing becomes very messy, I cross out a lot of my writing, and I always have issues with clarity.

So, now I am stressing out too much as I have 8 weeks left until GCSEs and I feel that I have made no progress at all since Year 10 (in Year 10, I received a grade 7 and 8) and at this point, I feel that I would not even pass the actual GCSEs at this point because of my handwriting.

So, could anyone give me some advice on what I can do for these last 8 weeks and whether it is possible for me to get a 9 at this point?
Last edited by mellow2006; 4 months ago
booklover1313
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
Is it because you write without planning first, so your ideas are just flowing without structure? Would it help if you planned in a detailed manner what you wanted to say, and then you can write it neatly out?
Maybe you don't need to write as much as you think? PEA paragraphs can be reasonably short - like maybe max half a page each.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mellow2006)
I have recently done my final mocks for English Literature and English Language and I just received my English Literature mock results back with a grade 4. My teacher then explained that I only got this grade as they could not read my paper due to my handwriting.

I am currently aiming for a grade 9 in both English Literature and Language. Yet, now I feel that I should give up on that aim because whenever I write in exam conditions: my writing becomes very messy, I cross out a lot of my writing, and I always have issues with clarity.

So, now I am stressing out too much as I have 8 weeks left until GCSEs and I feel that I have made no progress at all since Year 10 (in Year 10, I received a grade 7 and 8) and at this point, I feel that I would not even pass the actual GCSEs at this point because of my handwriting.

So, could anyone give me some advice on what I can do for these last 8 weeks and whether it is possible for me to get a 9 at this point?
Examiners try their absolute best to read illegible writing, and would probably try a bit harder than your teacher who is probably trying to prove a point here. However, if writing is truly illegible, then no credit can be given - writing legibly is as much of an exam skill as dividing up your time properly, or answering the question that was asked rather than the one you wanted to be asked.

Are you scribbling, in a desperate attempt to write as much as possible? If so, try slowing down a bit. There's not much point writing 3,000 words if 2,000 of them are illegible.

..whether it is possible for me to get a 9 at this point?

If half your examination script is illegible, then the answer to this is a resounding 'no'.
mellow2006
Rep:
(Original post by booklover1313)
Is it because you write without planning first, so your ideas are just flowing without structure? Would it help if you planned in a detailed manner what you wanted to say, and then you can write it neatly out?
Maybe you don't need to write as much as you think? PEA paragraphs can be reasonably short - like maybe max half a page e
Thank you for the reply

I did plan slightly before writing by just writing the main point then just the quotes that I would like to use. I do follow a different structure but after writing the paragraph but I end up remembering something and attempting to squeeze that in my writing. I am not sure if planning in a detailed manner would help in exam conditions as I always struggle with timing and I can only take a max of 2-5 minutes planning to actually finish the essay.

Yes, I do not write as much as most of my English revision especially for English literature is writing detailed essay plans to revise over instead.
mellow2006
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Examiners try their absolute best to read illegible writing, and would probably try a bit harder than your teacher who is probably trying to prove a point here. However, if writing is truly illegible, then no credit can be given - writing legibly is as much of an exam skill as dividing up your time properly, or answering the question that was asked rather than the one you wanted to be asked.

Are you scribbling, in a desperate attempt to write as much as possible? If so, try slowing down a bit. There's not much point writing 3,000 words if 2,000 of them are illegible.

If half your examination script is illegible, then the answer to this is a resounding 'no'.
Thank you for the reply

I am not sure whether my handwriting is illegible entirely as I can read it most of it myself. Mostly, during exams when writing I end up losing track of where I am writing probably because I am trying to write as much as possible during my exams or maybe because I struggle with timing as I end up trying to write as fast as I can to complete my response. Also, I think that when I proofread, I always cross things out and squeeze writing above the crossed out sentences in which it ends up being illegible
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thank you for the reply

I am not sure whether my handwriting is illegible entirely as I can read it most of it myself. Mostly, during exams when writing I end up losing track of where I am writing probably because I am trying to write as much as possible during my exams or maybe because I struggle with timing as I end up trying to write as fast as I can to complete my response. Also, I think that when I proofread, I always cross things out and squeeze writing above the crossed out sentences in which it ends up being illegible
Yes, but remember that your own writing is always much more legible to you than it is to others. Crossings out and inserted text isn't a problem if the rest of it is clear and legible, but if it's not, it just compounds the problem.

From your post quoted above, I think you need to spend a bit more time planing your answer so you don't lose track so easily, and will have less need to insert text between lines, furthering diminishing the legibility. A propos, if you are want to insert stuff during proof reading, try double-spacing your answer - check that you can use extra answer booklets in the examination. If you can, this would be a way of making your writing instantly more legible, both by having it less cramped, and making any deletions/insertions clearer.
mellow2006
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
Yes, but remember that your own writing is always much more legible to you than it is to others. Crossings out and inserted text isn't a problem if the rest of it is clear and legible, but if it's not, it just compounds the problem.

From your post quoted above, I think you need to spend a bit more time planing your answer so you don't lose track so easily, and will have less need to insert text between lines, furthering diminishing the legibility. A propos, if you are want to insert stuff during proof reading, try double-spacing your answer - check that you can use extra answer booklets in the examination. If you can, this would be a way of making your writing instantly more legible, both by having it less cramped, and making any deletions/insertions clearer.
Thanks so much for this

I understand. What do you mean by double spacing my response? Do you mean leaving two lines of space after each paragraph?
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thanks so much for this

I understand. What do you mean by double spacing my response? Do you mean leaving two lines of space after each paragraph?
No problem

Yes, leave a blank line between each line of text

Like I'm doing in this reply
You can go back and insert extra stuff later and it doesn't make all the writing look cramped and illegible!
And then...^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (17)
18.48%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (31)
33.7%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.43%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.17%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.78%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
19.57%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads