The Student Room Group

Cardiff A100 / A101 2022 Offer Holders

Welcome to the Cardiff University A100 / A101 2022 Offer Holders.

For general information click: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2021/medicine-mbbch

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi everyone, my name is Amelia, I’m a second year medic- firstly congrats on getting an offer! Myself and a few other medics will be watching this forum to answer any questions you may have- thanks!
Hi, my name is Jasmine and I’m in fourth year. I’m one of the other students who will be keeping an eye on the forum and helping out where I can :smile:
Hi there and congratulations! I’m Meg, a fourth year medic at Cardiff:smile: feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about Cardiff medical school/the course or life as a medical student. Helo na a llongyfarchiadau! Fy enw i yw Meg a dwi yn fy mhedwerydd blwyddyn yma yng Nghaerdydd:smile: dwi’n mwy na hapus i ateb unrhyw gwestiwn sy da chi am y cwrs neu bywyd fel myfyriwr meddygol- Diolch!
Original post by cardiff_year4
Hi there and congratulations! I’m Meg, a fourth year medic at Cardiff:smile: feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about Cardiff medical school/the course or life as a medical student. Helo na a llongyfarchiadau! Fy enw i yw Meg a dwi yn fy mhedwerydd blwyddyn yma yng Nghaerdydd:smile: dwi’n mwy na hapus i ateb unrhyw gwestiwn sy da chi am y cwrs neu bywyd fel myfyriwr meddygol- Diolch!

Hi ! I was wondering which accommodation buildings medical students live in during their first year and do you live with other medical students? :smile:
Original post by falexander03
Hi ! I was wondering which accommodation buildings medical students live in during their first year and do you live with other medical students? :smile:

Hi! There isn't a specific accommodation building for medics at Cardiff. In fact, most medics live with non-medics in first year. I would recommend having a look at the different accommodation options on the Cardiff website and see which one suits you best as you will need to submit your accommodation preferences in due course. I believe that most medics put Talybont campus as their top choice as it is the closest to the medical school. I hope that answers your question!

Hi :smile: How would you describe the pastoral support and academic support at Cardiff ? Is there a structured framework ? Thanks
Original post by JustineAtticus
Hi :smile: How would you describe the pastoral support and academic support at Cardiff ? Is there a structured framework ? Thanks

Great question! Personally, I feel like the health and well-being of medical students is prioritised here at Cardiff. As students, we are encouraged to adopt a healthy work-life balance. I would say a great way of achieving this is by joining societies. We have over 200 societies here at Cardiff Uni to choose from and we also have medic specific societies as well. The Cardiff MedSoc welfare team (which is run by medics) provides great opportunities to meet new people and helps signpost medics who may have issues or concerns. Cardiff medical school also offer a coordinated service called MyMedic which includes a team of professionals who provide extra support during our medical studies. You will be able to access these services via the student intranet once you enrol. You will also be assigned a personal tutor and a medic family (where medics form the year above will adopt you as their children!) once you enrol. They are also a great point of contact if you have any questions.

In terms of academic support, the medical school offer extra study skills sessions to go alongside the curriculum (these include extra maths and English language support). Also, MedSoc and other medical societies tend to set up extra revision sessions for medical students around exam time. I hope this helps- let me know if you have any further questions and I will try my best to answer them :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, could you let me know a little more about the placements please? I absolutely love Cardiff but notice that there are 3 x 8 week block placements in years 3, 4 and 5. Would you still be based in Cardiff for these and have to travel back and forth each day…or would it mean moving to a rural area for each 8 week placement? Thanks v much!
Great question! Personally, I feel like the health and well-being of medical students is prioritised here at Cardiff. As students, we are encouraged to adopt a healthy work-life balance. I would say a great way of achieving this is by joining societies. We have over 200 societies here at Cardiff Uni to choose from and we also have medic specific societies as well. The Cardiff MedSoc welfare team (which is run by medics) provides great opportunities to meet new people and helps signpost medics who may have issues or concerns. Cardiff medical school also offer a coordinated service called MyMedic which includes a team of professionals who provide extra support during our medical studies. You will be able to access these services via the student intranet once you enrol. You will also be assigned a personal tutor and a medic family (where medics form the year above will adopt you as their children!) once you enrol. They are also a great point of contact if you have any questions.

In terms of academic support, the medical school offer extra study skills sessions to go alongside the curriculum (these include extra maths and English language support). Also, MedSoc and other medical societies tend to set up extra revision sessions for medical students around exam time. I hope this helps- let me know if you have any further questions and I will try my best to answer them :smile:

Thank you :smile:
I have a question about something on the offer letter and I don’t know if it’s appropriate to ask on here? If it’s not can someone tell me where I can speak to someone about this?
Reply 11
Hi,
I was wondering how people tend to get around Cardiff. Does everyone walk to the campus or is there a bus or something similar?
Hi! There isn't a specific accommodation building for medics at Cardiff. In fact, most medics live with non-medics in first year. I would recommend having a look at the different accommodation options on the Cardiff website and see which one suits you best as you will need to submit your accommodation preferences in due course. I believe that most medics put Talybont campus as their top choice as it is the closest to the medical school. I hope that answers your question!

Do a lot of students live in accommodation organised by other companies (Unite students for example) or do most people go for the university accommodation? The unite accommodation seems to be cheaper and looks nicer and more modern - is there any catch at all as it seems too good to be true!:smile:
hi everyone, i recieved an offer yesterday I was just wondering do you have to wait till you've heard back from all your choices to pick the firm and insurance unis?
hey, Cardiff talks about taking away offers from offer holders if there over subscribed the anxiety never ends :frown:
hi, does anyone have experience with the alcohol-free rooms? what did u think?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by wowowowoowoowwow
hey, Cardiff talks about taking away offers from offer holders if there over subscribed the anxiety never ends :frown:

Wait whattt
What do you mean?
Anyone know if there are any offer holder days for medicine? If so when are they?
Original post by gigglexgirl
Wait whattt
What do you mean?

They talk about it in a letter they send in an email confirming your offer, its a paragraph talking about oversubscription.
Reply 19
which halls of residence would you say is best for a medical student? which is closest etc?

Quick Reply

Latest