The Student Room Group

Cardiff A100 / A101 2022 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wowowowoowoowwow
They talk about it in a letter they send in an email confirming your offer, its a paragraph talking about oversubscription.

This is what i wanted to ask about😭
Original post by apple5auce02
This is what i wanted to ask about😭

Like how long do we have to reply? And if we don’t will they just withdraw the offer without early notice and give it to someone else?
Original post by hallam1
Hi, could you let me know a little more about the placements please? I absolutely love Cardiff but notice that there are 3 x 8 week block placements in years 3, 4 and 5. Would you still be based in Cardiff for these and have to travel back and forth each day…or would it mean moving to a rural area for each 8 week placement? Thanks v much!

Hi! We are very lucky here at Cardiff to be able to have early clinical exposure! In first and second year, you will have placement one day a week during case weeks. You will be placed in and around Cardiff for these placements. The university provides buses for placement days if you do not drive or have a car. As you rightly said, in year 3, 4, 5 you will start your clinical training and will have three 8 week placements each year. Cardiff is an all Wales course and so you could be placed in and around Cardiff or placed on an ‘away’ placement in North or West Wales. If you are on an away placement, you will be provided with free accommodation near the hospital and you will be living with other medics. I went to North wales for my 8 week Oncology and Surgery block last year and again on my 4 week Psych block this year. I really enjoyed these placements as I got to meet new medics and see more of Wales! Also, the teaching we received by the doctors was at a very high standard- I hope that helps!
Original post by midnightskies0
Do a lot of students live in accommodation organised by other companies (Unite students for example) or do most people go for the university accommodation? The unite accommodation seems to be cheaper and looks nicer and more modern - is there any catch at all as it seems too good to be true!:smile:

Hi! Unfortunately, I do not have any personal experience with private accommodation myself. However, I would say that most medics decide to live in Uni halls in their first year. Again, I would recommend researching all options and go with what suits you best!
Original post by mirhd
which halls of residence would you say is best for a medical student? which is closest etc?

Hi! I believe that Talybont Campus is the most popular with first year medics as it is the closest to the medical school :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by cardiff_year4
Hi! I believe that Talybont Campus is the most popular with first year medics as it is the closest to the medical school :smile:

great thank you! Is that any Talybont building in particular as I know that there are many different buildings to the campus (North and South and so on)?
what accomodation are people thinking of picking?
will we have an offer holder day at cardiff uni
Reply 28
Original post by cardiff_year4
Hi! We are very lucky here at Cardiff to be able to have early clinical exposure! In first and second year, you will have placement one day a week during case weeks. You will be placed in and around Cardiff for these placements. The university provides buses for placement days if you do not drive or have a car. As you rightly said, in year 3, 4, 5 you will start your clinical training and will have three 8 week placements each year. Cardiff is an all Wales course and so you could be placed in and around Cardiff or placed on an ‘away’ placement in North or West Wales. If you are on an away placement, you will be provided with free accommodation near the hospital and you will be living with other medics. I went to North wales for my 8 week Oncology and Surgery block last year and again on my 4 week Psych block this year. I really enjoyed these placements as I got to meet new medics and see more of Wales! Also, the teaching we received by the doctors was at a very high standard- I hope that helps!

Thanks for this! Is there a chance that all 3 of the 8 week blocks in the year could be ‘away’ placements. Just trying to work out how much time in years 3-5 would be spent away from Cardiff. Thanks v much!
Reply 29
Original post by roses1234556
what accomodation are people thinking of picking?

Clodien House or talybont I think!
Original post by wowowowoowoowwow
hey, Cardiff talks about taking away offers from offer holders if there over subscribed the anxiety never ends :frown:

really don’t think it’s fair for you to scare people in this way. if you read the paragraph, nowhere do they say they’ll take the offer away from you. It states what will happen in the case of oversubscription, and you’ll either be deferred onto next year’s course or provided with an alternative course. Very unlikely they’d give you an offer then magically take it away because they signed too many people onto the course lmao, plus it’s unlikely inflation of grades will occur to the extent it did last year because we’re doing exams
which talybont accomodation would be best, cause there's talybont court, talybont south/north ect?
Original post by sarahsm04
really don’t think it’s fair for you to scare people in this way. if you read the paragraph, nowhere do they say they’ll take the offer away from you. It states what will happen in the case of oversubscription, and you’ll either be deferred onto next year’s course or provided with an alternative course. Very unlikely they’d give you an offer then magically take it away because they signed too many people onto the course lmao, plus it’s unlikely inflation of grades will occur to the extent it did last year because we’re doing exams

Asking to defer ok, but you really think that "providing an alternative course" after an offer for medicine is fair!?
Original post by WAccordingtome
Asking to defer ok, but you really think that "providing an alternative course" after an offer for medicine is fair!?

Of course it’s not fair, but the initial message was a bit too forward to state that ‘offers may just get taken away’. Plus oversubscription has only really become a real issue in the last two years because of disruption to exams, so there’s no real need to worry everybody about it .
Of course it’s not fair, but the initial message was a bit too forward to state that ‘offers may just get taken away’. Plus oversubscription has only really become a real issue in the last two years because of disruption to exams, so there’s no real need to worry everybody about it .

Do you know if we have a deadline we must reply to before they have to defer/give an alternative offer? I feel like the email is a bit vague and people are saying different things about the consequences of over subscription and its making me nervous about how long I have to reply because I’m still waiting to hear back from other unis before making a final decision
Original post by apple5auce02
Do you know if we have a deadline we must reply to before they have to defer/give an alternative offer? I feel like the email is a bit vague and people are saying different things about the consequences of over subscription and its making me nervous about how long I have to reply because I’m still waiting to hear back from other unis before making a final decision

You’ve still got time!! It’s referring to results day and how many people meet their offers, not oversubscription of the offers themselves. As students, we have till 9th June to make our decisions, so wait to hear back from your other universities first ☺️☺️
You’ve still got time!! It’s referring to results day and how many people meet their offers, not oversubscription of the offers themselves. As students, we have till 9th June to make our decisions, so wait to hear back from your other universities first ☺️☺️

Omg thank you so much i feel like i can finally breathe now😭 i couldnt ring them because of work and theyre opening hours were during this so I was waiting for a reply to my email
has anyone got the virtual offer holder day email?
Original post by Fiona12030
has anyone got the virtual offer holder day email?

Yes i have yesterday
Does anybody know if there will be an in person offer day ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending