The Student Room Group

Cardiff A100 / A101 2022 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hannahspeight
Does anybody know if there will be an in person offer day ??

I’m not sure because I also applied for Cardiff pharmacy as my 5th choice and they sent me an email today saying they are holding a in person offer holder day in April after already doing a virtual one March 30th so maybe they can?
Reply 41
Original post by Hannahspeight
Does anybody know if there will be an in person offer day ??

They didn’t allow you to visit Heath Park during the open day so I’m guessing it might be the same for the offer holder day??
Do you know what we have to do with the offer letter we are given via email. Do we have to sign it and give it to someone?
Reply 43
Hello, I have a question about the amount of free time you have as a Cardiff Medical student. I am an athlete competing in road cycling at a national level. This obviously has a large commitment in terms of time and energy. I am normally training between 15 and 20 hours a week, and there is also travelling time to races etc. I am just wandering how much free time you get as a medical student in Cardiff? What sort of schedule does your average day take in terms of when you start and finish working? This is something that has been a bit of a concern to me throughout the application process as I've seen a lot of stuff online saying how when you do medicine, it is pretty much the only thing you do, day in day out. I am really looking forward to studying Medicine, but I'm just a little concerned as I don't want to give up my sport and aspirations within it, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by hallam1
Hi, could you let me know a little more about the placements please? I absolutely love Cardiff but notice that there are 3 x 8 week block placements in years 3, 4 and 5. Would you still be based in Cardiff for these and have to travel back and forth each day…or would it mean moving to a rural area for each 8 week placement? Thanks v much!

Hi,

Yep you're right there's 8 week placement blocks in years 3, 4 and 5. Most of these you will be based in Cardiff and commute each day. For hospitals outside of Cardiff (e.g. Merthyr, Newport or Brigend) there is a coach provided by the Uni that you are able to sign up to or lots of people drive so sometimes people lift share. Cardiff also has the opportunity to have placements in North / West wales in which case accommodation is provided for free, usually on the hospital site. Most students have 2-3 away placements over the 3 years. Hope that helps and let me know if you have more questions!
Original post by mirhd
great thank you! Is that any Talybont building in particular as I know that there are many different buildings to the campus (North and South and so on)?

There's usually lots of medics in all the Talybont buildings and they're all pretty close together. The main difference between them is price really
Original post by hallam1
Thanks for this! Is there a chance that all 3 of the 8 week blocks in the year could be ‘away’ placements. Just trying to work out how much time in years 3-5 would be spent away from Cardiff. Thanks v much!

Hi, usually people are only away for one block in each year :smile:
Original post by palft1
Hello, I have a question about the amount of free time you have as a Cardiff Medical student. I am an athlete competing in road cycling at a national level. This obviously has a large commitment in terms of time and energy. I am normally training between 15 and 20 hours a week, and there is also travelling time to races etc. I am just wandering how much free time you get as a medical student in Cardiff? What sort of schedule does your average day take in terms of when you start and finish working? This is something that has been a bit of a concern to me throughout the application process as I've seen a lot of stuff online saying how when you do medicine, it is pretty much the only thing you do, day in day out. I am really looking forward to studying Medicine, but I'm just a little concerned as I don't want to give up my sport and aspirations within it, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, the main thing I'd say with regards to free time is that a work-life balance is definitely achievable in medicine! Obviously any medical course will involve lots of timetabled lectures / placement / tutorials etc and some extra self-directed work but there's also lots of free time for hobbies. I know a few people on the course who compete in sport at a high level so it's definitely possible. I also know that some students are able to have certain adjustments if they are at a high level competing for the university such as not having away placements to allow you to continue to train in Cardiff and I know someone who has taken a year out to compete internationally in athletics. I don't know the details of this but hopefully it can reassure you that you shouldn't have to give up hobbies and talents for the course and you can use it was a great way to switch off from medicine :smile:
Reply 48
Hii :smile: does anyone know which accommodation they are thinking of atm?? If not, which one would you say is the best and / or most suitable for medical students? Thankss
Reply 49
Hi!

I was just wondering if there is much choice given as to where you are able to take placements. For example if you are keen to spend a lot of time in rural Wales are you able to request this and apply for placements, or are they allocated randomly? :smile:
Original post by s_xlg
Hii :smile: does anyone know which accommodation they are thinking of atm?? If not, which one would you say is the best and / or most suitable for medical students? Thankss

I spoke to someone who is currently a first year medic and they said they chose all Talybont accommodation for their top preferences as its an ok distance from heath campus and shops there's also a range of flat choices such as quiet living and alcohol free.
Reply 51
I was thinking of Clodien House as it’s only a 5 minute walk away from Heath campus and then the 4 buildings within the Talybont campus as my next options :smile:
Original post by mirhd
I was thinking of Clodien House as it’s only a 5 minute walk away from Heath campus and then the 4 buildings within the Talybont campus as my next options :smile:

I wanted Clodien house but on the unite students website it says sold out for 22/23 🥴
Reply 53
Original post by pink dolphin
I wanted Clodien house but on the unite students website it says sold out for 22/23 🥴

Does that apply to the rooms the university itself offers?
Hey everyone, congrats on your offers! Just wondering if anyone here is from Northern Ireland?
I just remembered and wanted to make sure; was anyone asked to send proof of any gcse/a level certificates when they received their offer because I wasn’t?
Reply 56
Original post by apple5auce02
I just remembered and wanted to make sure; was anyone asked to send proof of any gcse/a level certificates when they received their offer because I wasn’t?

no neither did I! :smile:
Original post by RM2022
Hi!

I was just wondering if there is much choice given as to where you are able to take placements. For example if you are keen to spend a lot of time in rural Wales are you able to request this and apply for placements, or are they allocated randomly? :smile:

Hi, They usually send out a form where you can indicate a preference and then placements are allocated by a mixture of trying to accommodate this, giving all students a bit of a mix and a bit of random chance! There is a scheme in year 3 where you can do the whole year based in a rural GP (the scheme is called CARER) which you may be interested in if you are keen for lots of rural placements
Do they restrict what accommodation you can apply for? One of my friends got an offer for radiography and after firming could only chose from 4 different accommodations and then rank her top 3. I was wondering if they do something similar with medicine?
Original post by ctfeludu
Do they restrict what accommodation you can apply for? One of my friends got an offer for radiography and after firming could only chose from 4 different accommodations and then rank her top 3. I was wondering if they do something similar with medicine?

When I applied there were no restrictions but there were options for different courses which had longer terms such as nursing (assuming radiography was one of those options) so I guess they would have to rent the rooms for longer and therefore only some accommodations offer this? But for medicine it was all normal :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending