The Student Room Group

Feel like giving up on a levels

I’m actually so disheartened by my a levels. Some background information I do bio chem maths got like mostly 7s at gcse. I wouldn’t say I’m smart but average and try very hard. I got pressured into these a levels but I’ve gotten to like them however they are kicking my ass like i constantly keep flopping. Like I wanna do well but it’s hurting how many times I keep falling down. My report card was CDD and I wanna do medicine. I got 7s in my gcse for the a levels I chose so I’m suppose to be “good” at them. I have mocks next month that predicts my predicted grade for university. Like I’m trying but I guess I could try harder but even with how much I’ve tried I can’t see the fruit of my labour like it’s tough. Is this meant to happen. Any tips on my a levels . Stories off inspiration like im stuck between giving up but I know deep down I can get into medicine but it’s looking harder as everyday passes. I just wanna prove to myself I can be someone like I’m at the bottom off all my classes. HELP !!! Everytime I go to lesson I’m like whyyyyyy because everyone is smart and I’m just sitting there like a muppet feeling worse and worse and more insecure cuz at this point it feels like Ive taken more then I can chew
(edited 2 years ago)
I sit and do revise Sometimes don’t do exam questions but it’s not because I’m lazy but because in my brain it’s like I have to get the exam question correct otherwise I feel like a failure and that thought pushes me away I’ve been working on it and do exam questions and battle the thought
Maybe you’re not suited for university or academic study. This isn’t a bad thing. Just do as well as you possibly can in your A - Levels and then try to find apprenticeships that you’re interested in
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Maybe you’re not suited for university or academic study. This isn’t a bad thing. Just do as well as you possibly can in your A - Levels and then try to find apprenticeships that you’re interested in

Oooooo please don’t say that my goal in life is to get into medicine it’s not like I’m dumb. I think I can achieve good academicially but just in a rough patch and need help getting out. It’s not cuz I’m dumb
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by I-cba
I sit and do revise Sometimes don’t do exam questions but it’s not because I’m lazy but because in my brain it’s like I have to get the exam question correct otherwise I feel like a failure and that thought pushes me away I’ve been working on it and do exam questions and battle the thought

Trust me at first I did horrible with exam questions. It’s something everyone goes through. I’m exactly the same. I just kept doing them until I got them right. I think I’m my maths mock last year I got a D. I was upset because I just couldn’t do the exam questions right and I didn’t want to do them. I now just got 87% in my recent mock because I sat and kept doing papers until I was confident
Original post by saharali005
Trust me at first I did horrible with exam questions. It’s something everyone goes through. I’m exactly the same. I just kept doing them until I got them right. I think I’m my maths mock last year I got a D. I was upset because I just couldn’t do the exam questions right and I didn’t want to do them. I now just got 87% in my recent mock because I sat and kept doing papers until I was confident

Thank you like this is reassuring unlike the other two posts where they just are trying to bring me down
Original post by I-cba
Oooooo please don’t say that my goal in life is to get into medicine it’s not like I’m dumb. I think I can achieve good academicially but just in a rough patch and need help getting out. It’s not cuz I’m dumb

I’m trying to be realistic not out you down. A lot of people actually do really well at A - Level and then struggle at university. Just work as hard as you can and hope you get the grades you want.
Reply 7
You still haven't answered why you'd like to do medicine.

Medicine is an incredibly fierce programme to undertake, the insanely competitive entry is only the beginning. You need a very strong reason to serve as your morale boost to get you to be the best you can, because that's what everybody else will be doing.

From what you've said about not wanting to do exam questions because you're afraid you'll get them wrong: I'll just say it bluntly, you really need to get over that fear. You don't have time to be scared of these things, you need to keep failing until you learn how to succeed.

I know how you feel because I was the same with my entry into Computer Science, I didn't want to attempt any advanced maths because I'd feel stupid if I got it wrong. You really do just have to get over that fear and realise that you aren't expected to know everything instantly. Failure is how you measure your progress.
Original post by I-cba
Thank you like this is reassuring unlike the other two posts where they just are trying to bring me down

No don’t worry like everyone in my school goes through the same thing. We do like horrible in the first 3/4 exam questions we do and then we retry and we just get better. I do IAL so we have a very similar course but we’re modular so we can resit. I had friends who resat bio and chem and went from D’s to A’s. I gave them this advice. With the first few exam questions have your notes w you. Every time you can’t do the question, restudy that topic and try again. Then a bit further in ( after you get more confident) have a small cheat sheet just with things you don’t remember well. I had some reactions for chemistry next to me for example. Then when it gets closer to the exam you should be able to do it with no sheet because of remembering. (I hope this makes sense). I never really learnt how to study until A2 because I never learnt properly in GCSE. This method really worked for me. Flash cards are also really good for active recall. But I think during a level a lot of people get to that point where they think they can’t do it. But you can! I believe in you
Reply 9
So, I would take it one step at a time. You have good GCSEs in the bank, keep the faith, get established a study (and relaxation) routine and see where you get to. You can only do your best, you may get to medicine grades, if you don’t you can do something else rewarding or resit. I lost momentum with similar reservations to yourself and failed my A levels. In hindsight it was a mistake, that I had to pick up the pieces from later. Uni and a science degree is a great experience and sets you up for a good career
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by I-cba
I’m actually so disheartened by my a levels. Some background information I do bio chem maths got like mostly 7s at gcse. I wouldn’t say I’m smart but average and try very hard. I got pressured into these a levels but I’ve gotten to like them however they are kicking my ass like i constantly keep flopping. Like I wanna do well but it’s hurting how many times I keep falling down. My report card was CDD and I wanna do medicine. I got 7s in my gcse for the a levels I chose so I’m suppose to be “good” at them. I have mocks next month that predicts my predicted grade for university. Like I’m trying but I guess I could try harder but even with how much I’ve tried I can’t see the fruit of my labour like it’s tough. Is this meant to happen. Any tips on my a levels . Stories off inspiration like im stuck between giving up but I know deep down I can get into medicine but it’s looking harder as everyday passes. I just wanna prove to myself I can be someone like I’m at the bottom off all my classes. HELP !!! Everytime I go to lesson I’m like whyyyyyy because everyone is smart and I’m just sitting there like a muppet feeling worse and worse and more insecure cuz at this point it feels like Ive taken more then I can chew

Literally feeling this rn.

Just keep trying I guess. You can't even imagine how well you do until you give it your best
Original post by saharali005
No don’t worry like everyone in my school goes through the same thing. We do like horrible in the first 3/4 exam questions we do and then we retry and we just get better. I do IAL so we have a very similar course but we’re modular so we can resit. I had friends who resat bio and chem and went from D’s to A’s. I gave them this advice. With the first few exam questions have your notes w you. Every time you can’t do the question, restudy that topic and try again. Then a bit further in ( after you get more confident) have a small cheat sheet just with things you don’t remember well. I had some reactions for chemistry next to me for example. Then when it gets closer to the exam you should be able to do it with no sheet because of remembering. (I hope this makes sense). I never really learnt how to study until A2 because I never learnt properly in GCSE. This method really worked for me. Flash cards are also really good for active recall. But I think during a level a lot of people get to that point where they think they can’t do it. But you can! I believe in you

Thank you sooooo much this advice is what I needed to hear like the method off trying exam questions everything u said was helpful 🙏
Original post by Zarek
So, I would take it one step at a time. You have good GCSEs in the bank, keep the faith, get establish a study (and relaxation) routine and see where you get to. You can only do your best, you may get to medicine grades, if you don’t you can do something else rewarding or resit. I lost momentum with similar reservations to yourself and failed my A levels. In hindsight it was a mistake, that I had to pick up the pieces from later. Uni and a science degree is a great experience and sets you up for a good career

Thank you I agree things are just gonna suck but it’s all good as I don’t give up
Original post by Slx.24
Literally feeling this rn.

Just keep trying I guess. You can't even imagine how well you do until you give it your best

What a levels do u do? Do u wanna be friends ? I’m in yr12 and as u know I do bio chem maths(I’m a boy btw lol)
Original post by I-cba

Remember, it's not failure to get a practice exam question wrong. Getting a question wrong and then working through how to get it correct is actually a really good way to remember them; personally, I remember things better that way than just studying them. You have to give yourself permission to work through your weak areas; it's just like practicing anything else. Compare it to learning a musical instrument: you're going to hit a lot of wrong notes while learning to play something perfectly. Nobody's judging how many practice questions you get wrong, so that's your chance to prepare for the exams which do matter. (Sounds like you're avoiding exam questions out of perfectionism, by the way.) Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by I-cba
What a levels do u do? Do u wanna be friends ? I’m in yr12 and as u know I do bio chem maths(I’m a boy btw lol)

Maths, physics, comp sci
Sure 😁
Yeah same y12, and I'm a guy asw
Original post by I-cba

You need to calm down, but I also need to be honest with you. With those grades, medicine is not for you. You need to be aiming for Bs and As at least. Also, just so you know, you're not average, you're WAY below average. On average, every student gets at least B grades and for some subjects this can be even up to As. You really need to pull yourself together, stop complaining and buy some books. You need to follow the specification carefully for each A level subject. Buy some textbooks that are related to your A Level subject and do plenty of past papers and practice questions.

A Level shouldn't be a problem for you. You don't need to be a genius to get As and Bs. I have a brain of a starfish and I still managed to get As and A*s. You need to start revising and seriously nail down your exam technique. It's all about figuring out what the examiners want from you, which brings me to the original point. Do plenty of past papers, look at the solutions and the mark schemes. There are at least 20 different past papers you can do for A Levels. Eventually you will get better. You shouldn't be struggling at A Level. It should be easy. Just do what I have said and you will be fine. It's simple.
Original post by penguingirl18
Remember, it's not failure to get a practice exam question wrong. Getting a question wrong and then working through how to get it correct is actually a really good way to remember them; personally, I remember things better that way than just studying them. You have to give yourself permission to work through your weak areas; it's just like practicing anything else. Compare it to learning a musical instrument: you're going to hit a lot of wrong notes while learning to play something perfectly. Nobody's judging how many practice questions you get wrong, so that's your chance to prepare for the exams which do matter. (Sounds like you're avoiding exam questions out of perfectionism, by the way.) Good luck!

Yh I was thinking that aswell

Quick Reply

Latest