Which laptop would be the best for uni if studying computer science?

Watch this thread
shadeyshrek
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So, any recommendations?
dechao
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by shadeyshrek)
So, any recommendations?
get a Lenovo ThinkPad and run Linux on it
bluedipstick
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
So, any recommendations?
What's your budget?
shadeyshrek
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by bluedipstick)
What's your budget?
around £800 - £900
bluedipstick
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
around £800 - £900
Defo at the higher end of that budget but look at the M1 MacBook Air, which can be bought on Amazon for £889. In addition the insane performance and battery life (for the form factor), the display and keyboard are really nice to use (which is important when you're going to be typing up tiny lines of code for extended periods of time), and while it's ultimately going to come down to preference, macOS is imo a nicer environment to work in for software development, especially if you're planning on developing iOS apps down the line, and if you've got a ton of Apple devices it works together a lot more smoothly.

Alternatively, if Windows is more your thing, I'd probably look into the Surface Laptop 4, or as the other user mentioned, getting a ThinkPad.
westty
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi, not sure what £800-£900 laptop can do that a sub £200-£300 can't do for a Computer Science degree.

If you have a moment please take a browse of some of the latest forum discussions that go over the specifications of some of the laptops mentioned.
Is a good example: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7186076

Great example of purchasing refurbished or 2nd hand laptops that are business/enterprise class. These are much more powerful than what you would get from the high street retailers but at a half or even one-third of the cost. I would certainly, ascertain from your uni what the degree modules require at least in the 1st year, software for coding, i.e. will it be visual studio, Java, Python etc etc.

With the extra you save, you could opt to getting a LCD monitor for bigger screen real-estate when situated at the desk and connect the laptop to it or perhaps look at getting additional tablet, i.e. iPad and Pencil for note/diagram taking in lectures, which you could also get refurbished, improve workflow productivity. Apple always have refurbished ones and come with their warranty.
Schotel
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
I’d have to agree with the other recommendations, a Lenovo ThinkPad with good specs.
NightCap
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by westty)
Hi, not sure what £800-£900 laptop can do that a sub £200-£300 can't do for a Computer Science degree.

If you have a moment please take a browse of some of the latest forum discussions that go over the specifications of some of the laptops mentioned.
Is a good example: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7186076

Great example of purchasing refurbished or 2nd hand laptops that are business/enterprise class. These are much more powerful than what you would get from the high street retailers but at a half or even one-third of the cost. I would certainly, ascertain from your uni what the degree modules require at least in the 1st year, software for coding, i.e. will it be visual studio, Java, Python etc etc.

With the extra you save, you could opt to getting a LCD monitor for bigger screen real-estate when situated at the desk and connect the laptop to it or perhaps look at getting additional tablet, i.e. iPad and Pencil for note/diagram taking in lectures, which you could also get refurbished, improve workflow productivity. Apple always have refurbished ones and come with their warranty.
Yeah this. Mine arrived looking like new although I may need to replace the battery eventually, hopefully not too difficult of a process. Although you may want to go for a bigger screen.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (73)
41.48%
They're exactly what I expected (40)
22.73%