UK vs. Aus Med School - Which is the better option?

Watch this thread
happy_16
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey! I'm a Canadian high school senior. I received an offer from the University of Buckingham for medicine. I also received an offer from Griffith University for their 6-year medicine program (BMSc + MD). I'm having trouble choosing a university. The cost would be about the same, but the program is slightly shorter in the UK. I'm alright practising outside of Canada. In your opinion, which university is the better option and why? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
JMSan24
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by happy_16)
Hey! I'm a Canadian high school senior. I received an offer from the University of Buckingham for medicine. I also received an offer from Griffith University for their 6-year medicine program (BMSc + MD). I'm having trouble choosing a university. The cost would be about the same, but the program is slightly shorter in the UK. I'm alright practising outside of Canada. In your opinion, which university is the better option and why? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Hi! As a UK student who is planning to study Medicine in Australia (specifically Melbourne), I would personally choose Griffith over Buckingham.

Buckingham is the only privatised medical school in the UK (even UK students cannot get student loans for Buckingham!) and so it is quite inaccessible for many people from widening backgrounds like me; I imagine that the student population there is not as diverse as other medical schools here if that's something you consider important. It might also mean that the student life in Buckingham is not as lively (although I've never actually visited there so I can't say for certain).

On the other hand, Griffith is on the Gold Coast and many students, both Australian and international, go there to study because it's a very scenic area combined with lots of urban features. Griffith's BMSc is also highly regarded because it's one of the hardest degrees to get into (Australian students need top grades to even be eligible to apply) and the degree only lasts 2 years, meaning that it's very intensive and designed for only the best students (which I imagine you are if you got an offer from them!).

Hope this helps!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JMSan24)
...Buckingham is the only privatised medical school in the UK (even UK students cannot get student loans for Buckingham!)
There's Brunel too, and several more coming soon.

And home students can get a loan for Buckingham... it's only for £6100 or £9250 (we're not 100% sure) and you have to pay the rest.

and so it is quite inaccessible for many people from widening backgrounds like me; I imagine that the student population there is not as diverse as other medical schools here if that's something you consider important. It might also mean that the student life in Buckingham is not as lively (although I've never actually visited there so I can't say for certain).
I would disagree, there'd be a lot more international students since they specifically cater to them!
Last edited by ecolier; 2 months ago
JMSan24
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
There's Brunel too, and several more coming soon.

And home students can get a loan for Buckingham... it's only for £6100 or £9250 (we're not 100% sure) and you have to pay the rest.

I would disagree, there'd be a lot more international students since they specifically cater to them!
Thanks for correcting my mistakes!

Yes, I agree that there would be more international students at Buckingham; it depends on whether happy_16 would like a lot of UK students on the course to learn more about British culture and their experiences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads