The Student Room Group

UKMT Pink Kangaroo 2022

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know what the average score is for the UKMT Pink Kangaroo this year? The threshold for merit was relatively high (86+) compared to last years'.
I managed a score of 50- is that a decent score?!

Currently in Year 10, aiming for the Maclaurin Olympiad next year... Has anyone done that? Do you have any tips for me? Also, I got a score of 82 on the IMC this year (81+ was for gold).

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AMBITIOUSLEARNER
Hi,

Does anyone happen to know what the average score is for the UKMT Pink Kangaroo this year? The threshold for merit was relatively high (86+) compared to last years'.

Currently in Year 10, aiming for the Maclaurin Olympiad next year... Has anyone done that? Do you have any tips for me? Also, I got a score of 82 on the IMC this year (81+ was for gold).

Thanks in advance

No idea of scores, unfortunately. The usual advice to improve is to do past questions for imc and also the olympiads if you're aiming at them. Most of the smc shouldn't be beyond you and there isn't necessarily a huge difference in the "syllabus" so its the old "train hard, fight easy". Note you'd have to bump up your score a reasonable amount, so reflect on what you get wrong and do extra/related questions as necessary.
Original post by mqb2766
No idea of scores, unfortunately. The usual advice to improve is to do past questions for imc and also the olympiads if you're aiming at them. Most of the smc shouldn't be beyond you and there isn't necessarily a huge difference in the "syllabus" so its the old "train hard, fight easy". Note you'd have to bump up your score a reasonable amount, so reflect on what you get wrong and do extra/related questions as necessary.

Thanks! I'll try some SMC papers soon!
Thanks! I'll try some SMC papers soon!

Dont forget the extra questions in the extended solutions in the IMC (assuming youve done most of the previous imc papers) as well and sometimes the harder jmc quesitons are also worth going over.

Also there is the ukmt mentoring program.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

Thanks in advance

How do you know your score already. I thought the mark scheme/ solutions weren’t out yet?
Original post by Mathsgirl888
How do you know your score already. I thought the mark scheme/ solutions weren’t out yet?

"The 2022 award thresholds were: Merit 86+"

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/pkang
Original post by Mathsgirl888

There was a video released on YouTube a few days ago and on the UKMT website, the threshold is published (86+ for merit)
Original post by Muttley79
"The 2022 award thresholds were: Merit 86+"

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/pkang

Yes I’ve seen this but normally don’t the solutions get released before grade boundaries?
There was a video released on YouTube a few days ago and on the UKMT website, the threshold is published (86 for merit)

But how did you find out your score? Did your school tell you? Normally I wait for solutions to come out then work out my score myself but I haven’t been able to find the solutions yet

EDIT: I’ve found the video I think your talking about. I’ll use it to work out my score. Thx
(edited 1 year ago)
I got 89 in the intermediate pink kangaroo and 106 in the intermeidate challenge.I was hoping to get into hamilton olympiad, :frown: But its lucky that i scrapped into merit for pkangaroo (87 )I'm aiming for maclaurin next year as well
Hello @Thread starter,
I did the IMC just like you but I managed to qualify for the Cayley Olympiad (dunno how) however, I still havent got my results back yet, so please dont start asking me. I wrote the previous sentence to show you that I am slightly qualified to answer your question.So anyway, preperation for the Maclaurin Olypiad is simple but not easy. You need to make a fixed timetable and follow it religiously, which is very hard but motivating if you mange to get throguh it. Also, you show do plenty of practise papers and review them (see which questions you got wrong and look for ways to improve).
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

Thanks in advance

50 is a very concerning score if you are aiming for the Maclaurin Olympiad next year. Im sorry if i have offended you but sometimes the things that hurt the most are the truth.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I am also in year 10 transitioning to year 11, and I can't answer your question on tips for qualifying for the Maclaurin Olympiad, but I am equally eager to participate in it in 2023, and was wondering if you wanted to make a group chat for the Maclaurin Olympiad/IMC (2023) so we can share material and help give tips to each other as well as others if we manage to get more people to join. Btw i also got a gold this year and have a few of the UKMT books if you and others need earlier IMC papers
Hi,

Thanks in advance

Just reply if you want to make a gc and we can figure something out, because it sounds like we are both keen to do well and I think we can benefit alot from sharing tips etc.
Original post by Tomcm1485
Just reply if you want to make a gc and we can figure something out, because it sounds like we are both keen to do well and I think we can benefit alot from sharing tips etc.

Sorry it took me a while to reply. Sure! I love the sound of a gc, I don’t know how to make one though…
Sorry it took me a while to reply. Sure! I love the sound of a gc, I don’t know how to make one though…

Just use this thread - it''s against forum rules to share a group chat
Original post by DubiousOutline
50 is a very concerning score if you are aiming for the Maclaurin Olympiad next year. Im sorry if i have offended you but sometimes the things that hurt the most are the truth.

Thanks for the response! I’m currently practising old kangaroo papers as well as harder UKMT Q’s in preparation for next year. My plan to do a few questions when I’m free after school as practise on weekends building up to next year February.

Do you recommend any books on improving problem-solving tips?
Original post by mqb2766
Dont forget the extra questions in the extended solutions in the IMC (assuming youve done most of the previous imc papers) as well and sometimes the harder jmc quesitons are also worth going over.

Also there is the ukmt mentoring program.

I’ve requested my teacher to look into the mentoring program and signing me up for it!
I’ve requested my teacher to look into the mentoring program and signing me up for it!

Hello, what is the mentoring programme?
Original post by BibliophileLibra
Hello, what is the mentoring programme?

I don't know much about it in detail (perhaps someone in the forum may be able to explain better!) but here's the link to it:

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/enrichment/mentoring-scheme

Quick Reply

Latest