The Student Room Group

how to stop laptop fan noise

suggestions
If the fan is louder than usual, you probably need to reboot your laptop if you haven't done so recently, or have fewer programs / browser windows open at the same time. Usually for me, the computer's just overloaded.
Reply 2
Can also depend on how old the laptop is. Has it ever been serviced? If not, then overtime the fan intake and exhaust areas can fill up with dust & fluff. This can stop air reaching the CPU that needs cooling. Because of this the fan is working harder to move air. Cleaning can be done by one-self as there are plenty of tutorials online otherwise take it to computer servicing shop make sure its reputable.

*****If you do, backup your data first and password protect your machine if there is any sensitive data/files on it******
Reply 3
Definitely consider clearing the fans of dust and/or replacing the thermal paste (although this might require more work).

Original post by westty
*****If you do, backup your data first and password protect your machine if there is any sensitive data/files on it******

You should always have backups anyway; computers may fail at any time. Just setting a password does not, however, do very much for the security of a computer you leave with someone untrusted, since desktop OSes don't really do disk encryption.

Sarcastic video I made taunting a friend about their fear of popping open their laptop for a clean. In light of what westty said, you should not pay a computer service shop to clean a laptop- or a desktop, if that ever came to be. It really isn't rocket science.

If you do pop it open and there's clearly something broken/etc, then you should take it to a repair shop unless confident in fixing it yourself. Something like soldering on a new capacitor? Most folk wouldn't try that themselves- some would.
Reply 5
Step 1: Back up your important data
Step 2: Google how to take your laptop apart
Step 3: Use a can of compressed air to clean out the intake/exhaust areas and fans

Or you could go on eBay, find a cheap laptop (mine cost £50 with a 5th Gen i5) and transfer your files over/install your old laptop hard drive on your new one.

You could also try opening task manager to see which programs are causing your components to overheat and ending/uninstalling programs that are to intensive

I doubt that resetting/formatting will fix it, but it's also worth a try. Good Luck!!
Reply 6
Original post by osmarks
Definitely consider clearing the fans of dust and/or replacing the thermal paste (although this might require more work).

You should always have backups anyway; computers may fail at any time. Just setting a password does not, however, do very much for the security of a computer you leave with someone untrusted, since desktop OSes don't really do disk encryption.

Never known of an OS encrypting a hard drive by itself, but with supplementary software you can easily do it

/https://carbidesecure.com/resources/how-to-encrypt-a-hard-drive-with-bitlocker-in-windows-10/

Probs best just to store sensitive data on a cloud service, or even just on a encrypted USB/ encrypted folder. An encrypted folder would be the easiest tbh.
Here are quick tips to keep your computer quiet:
1. Close background apps and processes.
2. Close open tabs in your browser.
3. Run a malware scan.
4. Increase airflow around your computer's vents.
5. Clean out dust in ports and vents.
6. Turn off your computer, wait a few minutes, and then turn it back on again.
For further information you can visit this site.
https://www.avast.com/c-computer-fan-loud#topic-1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending