The Student Room Group

What is the plasmid DNA? gcse biology

What is the plasmid DNA?
Circular strand of DNA of a bacterium. We can exploit this in gene therapy and in genetic engineering to get the bacteria to make specific proteins for us e.g. insulin. We insert the gene we need into the bacterial plasmid after splitting it with an enzyme [restriction endonuclease] then splicing it with ligase - ask your dad how musicians used to "splice" music in the tape of a cassette recorder [now obsolete with the advent of CDs and other tech].
Original post by 77677
What is the plasmid DNA?

That is a circular DNA strand in bacterial DNA. In gene therapy and genetic engineering they are used to make specific proteins. In this case a certain part of this DNA is split and substituted by another one to create it.
(edited 1 year ago)
can I say "small loops of DNA that aren't part of the chromosome".
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 77677
can I say "A plasmid is a small, circular piece of DNA that is different than the chromosomal DNA, which is all the genetic material found in an organism ’s chromosomes."

The chromosome and the plasmid have in terms of the DNA one thing in common: they have the alpha-helix shape of the DNA strand. From this perspective they have no difference. And this helix have the same components, so the bases, phosphates and deoxyribose (a saccharide!). No difference again. So be careful what you are writing!
Original post by 77677
can I say "small loops of DNA that aren't part of the chromosome".

oops copied wrong defintion
thank you for your help guys

Quick Reply

Latest