The Student Room Group

others with hirsutism???0 help

so i am a girl with hirsutism. i have excessive hair on my stomach, legs and pubic area, partly on my chest.

i dont know anyone who shares this problem i have in real life, so i have the feeling that they cant fully relate to what im going through..
it makes wearing bikinis or revealing clothes and especially relationships really difficult for me, is there anyone out there like me?

i wanted to primarily ask those who have it as well: do you treat your hair in any way and how? what do you do with it???

thanks
How old are you? You might have pcos.

I have had laser hair removal on my face and am on birth control to regulate hormones. My hair still comes back but it’s not as thick but it’s still dark, I either pluck or shave on my face. As for my other body parts.. I just leave it, I can’t be ars*d
Original post by Anonymous
How old are you? You might have pcos.

I have had laser hair removal on my face and am on birth control to regulate hormones. My hair still comes back but it’s not as thick but it’s still dark, I either pluck or shave on my face. As for my other body parts.. I just leave it, I can’t be ars*d

im 17. i did tests for pcos or diabetes, my doctor said everything seems fine. the cause for my disbalanced hormones is unknown and my doctor seems to think it is genetic.
i just started taking birth control but it is too soon to see any results.. how long have you been taking it?
im 17. i did tests for pcos or diabetes, my doctor said everything seems fine. the cause for my disbalanced hormones is unknown and my doctor seems to think it is genetic.
i just started taking birth control but it is too soon to see any results.. how long have you been taking it?

It took a few tests before I got diagnosed with pcos. I had thick hair at 17 but wasn’t diagnosed until I was 21. Did they do a test when you were on birth control, because that may have skewed the results.

I’d say stick to birth control as it may help (it has only helped a little bit for me. Also, once a thin hair changes coarse due to hormones, it can’t get thin again unless you have laser hair removal etc).

If in a few years you notice hair getting worse etc it’s worth getting tests again.

PCOS is common and impacts 1 in 10 women!

Hair removal is probably your best bet but it’s tedious, expensive, and if your excessive hair growth is PCOS related, it will just keep coming back.
I meant laser hair removal* laser hair removal is your best bet.
Also, once a thin hair changes coarse due to hormones, it can’t get thin again unless you have laser hair removal etc)

oh man.
my doctor said the hormones may go back to normal when ive gone through puberty completely and its all balanced again. if that were to happen, my excessive hair should go back to normal.

well, that was what i hope will happen

do you mean the staying-coarse still applies if the hormones become balanced?
oh man.
my doctor said the hormones may go back to normal when ive gone through puberty completely and its all balanced again. if that were to happen, my excessive hair should go back to normal.

well, that was what i hope will happen

do you mean the staying-coarse still applies if the hormones become balanced?

I was told that once you have coarse (terminal) hair it can’t go back to thin (vellus), unless you have laser hair treatment which kills the hair follicle.

Also found this on Google “Once hairs have reached their full terminal stage, they are considered “permanent.” The only way these types of hairs can be removed for good is by damaging the papilla”
I was told that once you have coarse (terminal) hair it can’t go back to thin (vellus), unless you have laser hair treatment which kills the hair follicle.

Also found this on Google “Once hairs have reached their full terminal stage, they are considered “permanent.” The only way these types of hairs can be removed for good is by damaging the papilla”

okay, thanks for your perspective! have a nice weekend :smile:
I have PCOS and I have hirsutism too.
I get a face wax every three weeks (moustache, sideburns and eyebrows) and it works fine. only problem is its expensive

reminds me of how I always had excess hair, I remember when I was little I used to steal my mother's tweezers and pluck my hair at like 12 in the morning under a desk lamp with a my little compact mirror
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply