Spring 2022 Anime Preview Thread

Watch this thread
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago

The clocks have gone forward, that means it's Spring time~ Here's what the new season has to offer anime-wise - hope you like comedy, as there's A LOT of it on the horizon!

(These series are all due to start airing in the first few weeks of April. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)

-

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai

Genre: Comedy
Animation Studio: Felix Film
Japanese Airdate: Apr 2, 2022
Director: Yamamoto Yasutaka (Jitsu wa Watashi wa, Hinomaru Zumou)

(Original post by Summary:)
Reina Aharen, a small and cute student with a quiet voice, is quite bad at determining distance and personal space. Sometimes she's inches away from your face, and at other times, miles too far! The only one who tries to understand her antics is Raidou Matsuboshi, who is seated beside her in class. He has a menacing face, but in reality, he is a kind boy with an imagination that can run wild at times.

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai follows the peculiar pair as their odd friendship starts to blossom when Raidou picks up Aharen's eraser for her. She misinterprets his gesture and now believes them to be best friends, showing how the simplest of things can prove to be the most complicated of challenges for them.
Starting off with a typical high school comedy with oddball characters; these are usually fun, though it's sharing a season with the Komi-san sequel, which may prove too similar for me to want to watch both.

Ao Ashi

Genre: Sports
Director: Satou Akira (Release the Spyce)
Animation Studio: Production I.G
Japanese Airdate: Apr 9, 2022

Ashito Aoi is a young, aspiring soccer player from a backwater town in Japan. His hopes of getting into a high school with a good soccer club are dashed when he causes an incident during a critical match for his team, which results in their loss and elimination from the tournament. Nevertheless, he catches the eye of someone important who happened to be visiting from Tokyo. How will things turn out for Ashito?
Typical high school sports anime synopsis. I usually enjoy these once I start watching them, but pre-season there's really not much to make this stand out.

Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story

Animation Studio: Bandai Namco Pictures
Japanese Airdate: Apr 6, 2022
Director: Inagaki Takayuki (Sunabouzu, Rosario to Vampire)

Nafres, a country in Europe. Eve, a genius of golf, spends her days gambling on golf to earn a living. One day, she has a fateful encounter with Amawashi Aoi, an elite golfer and daughter of the president of a big company. Two geniuses living in completely different worlds. It was only a single shot that shot through each other's heart. Eve, known for her "Rainbow Bullet", and Aoi is an "innocent tyrant" who enjoys golf purely without any pressure. The two are attracted to each other, influenced by each other, and change each other.
Sports again, but not high school level. It's also the first full length TV golf anime in almost 20 years. Stands out more to me, at least!

Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall

Genre: Action, Drama
Animation Studio: Bibury Animation Studios, Bibury Animation CG
Japanese Airdate: Apr 3, 2022
Director: Tenshou (Kin`iro Mosaic, Grisaia no Kajitsu)

It is the year 2062, two decades after the failure of a massive workforce automation project. However, Artemis, the artificial intelligence at the core of that project, had decided to attack humanity, and the resulting war laid waste to Earth.

A lone girl, Empress, wakes up in an underground laboratory at a base. She is one of three surviving guardians of humanity. However, she has no memories of what came before. All she knows is what a colonel of the peace-building force tells her.

Artemis is constructing a space elevator to link the Moon and Earth, and Empress is ordered to destroy the space elevator before its completion. If the elevator is completed, the hordes of giant mechanized forces being mass-produced on the Moon will descend upon Earth.

However, standing in the way of Empress are her supposed allies Dead Master and Strength, as well as the unmanned pawn forces of Artemis, Smiley of the "Educational Institution" cult, and more.

Empress makes her advance towards the space elevator with the colonel and others. What awaits them there...
I'm guessing that synopsis is machine translated? Only one I could find, I'm afraid. This doesn't seem to be a direct sequel to the 2012 BRS anime, so I may check it out.

Build Divide: Code White

Genre: Fantasy
Animation Studio: LIDENFILMS
Director: Komada Yuki (Build Divide: Code Black)

The second season of Build Divide: Code Black.
Those who can change their username colour, #FFFFFF is indeed the code for white! This one is one IS a direct sequel; since I haven't watched Code Black yet, I won't be watching this.

Dance Dance Danseur

Genre: Drama
Animation Studio: MAPPA
Director: Sakai Munehisa (Zombie Land Saga, Koi to Producer: Evol x Love)

Danseur noble - a ballet dancer qualified to dance the role of the prince. Second-year junior high school student Murao Junpei was fascinated by ballet as a boy, but gave up on dancing after his father's death, as he had to become a man. However, one day, a beautiful transfer student named Godai Miyako appears before him. Miyako takes notice in Junpei's love of ballet and invites him to dance with her. Along with Miyako's cousin Mori Ruou, he begins his career as a full-fledged ballet dancer, with the aim of becoming the world's best dancer - the Danseur noble! Only those who have sacrificed everything are permitted to stand in the beautiful and harsh world of classical ballet. What will be the fate of a total beginner like Junpei?!
I was vaguely interested in this one anyway, but as often happens while writing these preview threads, the trailer really won me over.

Date A Live IV

Genre: Comedy, Sci-fi
Animation Studio: GEEK TOYS
Japanese Airdate: Apr 8, 2022
Director: Nakagawa Jun (High School Fleet Gekijouban, Date a Bullet)

The fourth season of Date A Live.
I really liked the first two Date A Live series, but couldn't get back into it for whatever reason when S3 came out. The long 5 year gap probably didn't help!

Deaimon

Genre: Food, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Encourage Films
Director: Oizaki Fumitoshi (Acchi Kocchi, Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm)

Nagomu Irino returns to his Kyoto home for the first time in ten years when his father is hospitalized. Nagomu is eager to take over Ryokushou, the family's Japanese sweet shop, but he's instead asked to be a father figure to Itsuka Yukihira, the girl everyone calls the successor.
Might well be cute, but it sounds like the kind of series that's just going to make me hungry. Not usually my genre.

Duel Masters King MAX

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Brain's Base, Shogakukan Music & Digital Entertainment
Director: Suzuki Yuusuke

The story of Duel Masters King entered the "next stage" with the new series. The theme of the new series is "time travel."
It's always the more child-oriented card game anime that announce their new seasons super late, and with little info... Duel Masters isn't one I have any nostalgia for.

Estab-Life: Great Escape

Genre: Sci-fi
Animation Studio: Polygon Pictures
Japanese Airdate: Mar 23, 2022
Director: Hashimoto Hiroyuki (Gochuumon wa Usagi Desuka?, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku)

In the distant future the world population has begun to shrink after reaching its peak. The "Supernatural Renovation Project" splits Tokyo with towering walls into several Cluster neighborhoods, each with its own unique genetically modified populations, governed by artificial intelligence. Most people live their lives in their own unique Clusters, blissfully unconcerned with life beyond. However, there are some who seek to escape to the other Clusters. An outfit helps those who wish to escape.
Yep, apparently this one got a head start on the rest of the season, with the first two eps airing last Wednesday! Looks janky, I'm interested.

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu

Animation Studio: Studio Kai, HORNETS
Japanese Airdate: Apr 7, 2022
Director: Ono Katsumi (Hataraki Man, Girly Air Force)

One day, a gamer played video games until he fell asleep...and when he woke up, he found himself in the game world—as a skeleton! Equipped with the powerful weapons and armor of his avatar but stuck with its frightening skeletal appearance, Arc has to find a place for himself in this new, fantastical land. All his hopes for a quiet life are dashed when he crosses paths with a beautiful elven warrior, setting him on a journey full of conflict and adventure.
First isekai series of the season... I'm still largely done with this genre, too much, too similar. Being a skeleton isn't enough of a hook to interest me.

Gunjou no Fanfare

Animation Studio: Lay-duce
Director: Katou Makoto (Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatte Iru, Yagate Kimi ni Naru)

The story follows three 15-year-old boys who go to a prestigious horse racing academy to become jockeys. The three-year academy is 10 to 20 times harder to enter than most schools, and whoever wishes to enter must pass an academic, physical, and fitness test.

Formerly a member of an idol group winning fans and fame, Yuu Arimura sets out to meet what his heart desires after becoming enamored with horse racing. Having grown up on an island, Shun Kanami has always yearned to ride with horses. Amane Grace was born in England and is lost in the path his parents have set for him, but he still takes on his dream.
First actual horse racing TV anime, to my knowledge (and no, I'm not counting Uma Musume: Pretty Derby). A maybe.

Healer Girl

Genre: Music
Animation Studio: Studio 3Hz
Japanese Airdate: Apr 4, 2022
Director: Irie Yasuhiro (Kurau Phantom Memory, Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume)

The story will follow four girls who seek to use their songs to heal and soothe the people of their world. The tagline reads, "Kindhearted, powerful songs heal the world. These are beautiful miracles sung by humanity."
The song from the trailer was very pleasant. I'm just not sure I care enough to watch a whole series about it.

Heroine Tarumono! Kiraware Heroine to Naisho no Oshigoto

Genre: Comedy, Romance
Animation Studio: Lay-duce
Director: Hashimoto Noriko

Hiyori Suzumi, who left her hometown to continue pursuing her passion of track and field, enrolls in Tokyo's Sakuragaoka High School. In searching for a part-time job, Hiyori ends up becoming an apprentice manager for her classmates Yuujirou Someya and Aizou Shibasaki, who are members of the idol group LIPxLIP. The story follows the struggles that Hiyori faces with school, extracurricular activities, and her managing job, as well as the idol group LIPxLIP as they perform on stage.
There's certainly a lot going on here. Part idol manager show, part high school rom-com, part track and field sports anime? Hope they manage to strike a good balance!

Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen 3rd Season

Genre: Fantasy, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: Ajia-Do
Japanese Airdate: Apr 12, 2022
Director: Hongou Mitsuru (Megami Kouhosei, Deltora Quest)

The third season of Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen.
I hear this isekai series is actually good, but I've not watched the first two series, and don't plan to in the fortnight before this airs.

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Hatakeyama Mamoru (Sankarea, Grancrest Senki)

The third season of Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen.
Here's a rare example of a time I DID actually marathon a first series, right before S2 was due to air – best decision I ever made. This has anime of the year potential.

Kakkou no Iinazuke

Animation Studio: SynergySP, Shin-Ei Animation
Japanese Airdate: Apr 24, 2022
Director: Shirahata Yoshiyuki

16-year-old super-studier Nagi Umino, second-year student at the Meguro River Academy high school, was switched at birth. On his way to a dinner to meet his birth parents, he accidentally meets the brash, outspoken, Erika Amano, who is determined to make Nagi her fake boyfriend as she never wants to actually marry. But once Nagi makes it to dinner, he finds his parents have decided to resolve the hospital switch by conveniently having him marry the daughter his birth parents raised...who turns out to be none other than Erika herself!
I'm not that into rom-coms (unless they really skew towards the comedy side), and this airs so late in the season that I'll likely have picked up enough series to watch before it even gets here.

Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san

Animation Studio: Doga Kobo
Japanese Airdate: Apr 10, 2022
Director: Itou Ryouta (Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi)

Shikimori seems like the perfect girlfriend: cute, fun to be around, sweet when she wants to be... but she has a cool dark side that comes out under the right circumstances. And her boyfriend Izumi loves to be around when that happens!
Giving this one a pass; the director's previous work (Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi) was one of the most boring anime I watched last year. Again, just not my genre.

Kingdom 4th Season

Genre: Action, Historical
Animation Studio: Studio Pierrot, Studio Signpost
Director: Imaizumi Ken`ichi (Katekyou Hitman Reborn!, Houkago Saikoro Club)

The fourth season of Kingdom.
I definitely don't have enough time to watch 100+ episodes of earlier Kingdom series in a fortnight, but the reviews suggest I'm missing out, big time.

Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de

Animation Studio: Project No.9
Director: Iwata Kazuya (Youjo Shachou)

In the eyes of the public, Fudou Aikawa and Desumi Magahara are sworn enemies who have nothing in common. Fudou, also known as "Red Gelato," is the leader of the hero squadron "Gelato 5," whose mission is to bring about world peace. On the other hand, Desumi is the minion leader of "Gecko," a villainous organization seeking world domination. However, despite these differences, their relationship is not quite what it seems. When they are not making a show of being at each other's throats, Desumi and Fudou continue to pursue a forbidden love.

Going on dates, baking sweets for one another, and meeting up as often as they can despite their hectic schedules, the two inexperienced lovebirds pave the way for their own unique relationship. Though their public lives are worlds apart, Fudou and Desumi will stop at nothing to make their seemingly impossible romance work.
This rom-com, I may check out, as the premise sounds like a lot of fun. But Kaguya-sama and Komi-san will be tough competition...

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd Season

Animation Studio: OLM
Director: Kawagoe Kazuki (Komi-san wa, Komyushou Desu.)

The Second season of Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu.
I loved S1, and this is ALMOST guaranteed to make my watching list; it is second in priority to Kaguya-sama, however, so it all depends on how good the all-new shows are. That, and how delayed Netflix's stream is...

Kono Healer, Mendokusai

Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
Animation Studio: Jumondo
Director: Nakanishi Nobuaki (Mahoujin Guru Guru, Koihime Musou)

A fantasy and adventure comedy starring Karla, a dark elf cleric who invested too much in her insulting skills, and Alvin, a swordsman who has to put up with her antics.
As long as nobody was sucked there or reincarnated there from our world, I have no issue with fantasy series. Though the season is over-saturated with comedy, and the trailer didn't make me laugh.

Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

Genre: Comedy, Supernatural
Animation Studio: CloverWorks
Director: Kakuchi Takudai

The isolationist Akane Clan, composed of an all-girls body mainly consisting of young kunoichi in training, has a code to which they all must adhere: "As men are dangerous beings, interacting with them is forbidden."

Kunoichi Tsubaki, the leader of the Dog Squad, is an excellent trainee with a promising future, but she has started to experience a strange feeling in her heart... whenever the subject of boys is brought up.
Strong trailer, with great music (love the peggies). Fun setting too. Am I just going to end up with a 100% comedy lineup this season?

Kyoukai Senki Part 2

Genre: Action, Sci-Fi
Animation Studio: Sunrise Beyond
Japanese Airdate: Apr 12, 2022
Director: :iiam:

The second part of Kyoukai Senki.
I dropped Part 1 fast, the first ep really didn't appeal to me. A shame, as some serious mech action would give my lineup some much needed variation.
Last edited by 04MR17; 2 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Love All Play

Animation Studio: Nippon Animation, OLM
Director: Takeuchi Hiroshi (Blade & Soul, Zunda Horizon)

Ryou Mizushima enrolls in junior high and joins the badminton club with great vigor. Although the club didn't have a proper coach, Mizushima improved his skills with his own physical strength by the time he participated in the prefectural tournament. Afterwards, he is approached by the Yokohama Minato High School's badminton coach, Ebihara.

Indecisive and timid, Mizushima hesitates to attend such a prestigious school. However, with his elder sister Rika giving him a strong push, he decides to go to Yokohama Minato. Now blessed with a coach and idiosyncratic teammates, Mizushima will gain experience he's lacked till now, and aims to win the inter-high tournament.
Possibly the best looking of the high school sports anime this season (so far at least), though the trailer was much shorter than the others.

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd Season

Genre: Music, Slice of life
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Director: Kawamura Tomoyuki (Kamigami no Asobi, Mitsuboshi Colors)

The Second season of Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai.
Another sequel that isn't really an option for me, at least if I want to know who these characters are and what's going on. Best to watch them in order.

Machikado Mazoku: 2-choume

Genre: Comedy, Slice of Life
Animation Studio: J.C.Staff
Director: Sakurai Hiroaki (Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Nekogami Yaoyorozu)

The second season of Machikado Mazoku.
The trailer for this looked so fun, I had to check why I skipped S1 back in Summer 2019. My reason: “no trailer for this one yet, which makes it hard for me to get excited about it”.

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asaki Yume no Akatsuki

Genre: Drama, Suspense
Animation Studio: Shaft
Director: Miyamoto Yukihiro (Mahou Sensei Negima! Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba, Magical Suite Prism Nana)

The final season of Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV).
I did watch Magia Record S1, but I wasn't madly into it, and skipped S2 due to more interesting shows airing in the same season.

Mahoutsukai Reimeiki

Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions
Director: Kuwabara Satoshi (Go-Toubun no Hanayome, Adachi to Shimamura)

The war that raged between the Church and the Witches for five centuries finally ended in peace but a few short years ago. However, nestled in the shadowy places of the world, the embers of that age old conflict still smolder.

Attending the Royal Academy of Magic of the Kingdom of Wenias is a struggling student named Sable, who has no memories of his time before being enrolled. At the command of Headmaster Albus, he left the Kingdom to travel to the southern reaches of the continent, where anti-magic insurgents are still a force to be reckoned with, as part of a special training regimen. Accompanying him are a party of individuals strong in both ability and personality; there's the one known as the Witch of the Dawn, Roux Cristasse, who seeks the forbidden knowledge of primeval magic in the 'Grimoire of Zero,' the genius girl Holtz, as well as the school's sole beast, Kudd.

Just what truth shall they uncover in their journey to the south...?
A magical school headmaster named Albus, you say? Still, at least that's only the starting point, sounds like the series itself is more of a journey / adventure, which appeals to me more.

Motto! Majime ni Fumajime Kaiketsu Zorori 3rd Season

Genre: Adventure, Comedy
Animation Studio: Ajia-Do, Bandai Namco Pictures

The Third season of Motto! Majime ni Fumajime Kaiketsu Zorori.
Aimed at a younger audience than any of the other anime covered so far; I've not watched Kaiketsu Zorori, but it always looks fun.

Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu

Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Animation Studio: ENGI
Director: Fukumoto Shin`ichi & Miura Kazuya (Hataage! Kemonomichi, Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!)

Office worker Leon is reincarnated into a particularly punishing dating sim video game, where women reign supreme and only beautiful men have a seat at the table. But Leon has a secret weapon: he remembers everything from his past life, which includes a complete playthrough of the very game in which he is now trapped. Watch Leon spark a revolution to change this new world in order to fulfill his ultimate desire... of living a quiet, easy life in the countryside!
Premise sounded like a carbon copy of Hamefura; wasn't expecting the mechs and magical grenades in the trailer! Still reincarnation isekai though, so I'm not keen.

Paripi Koumei

Genre: Comedy, Drama
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Japanese Airdate: Apr 5, 2022
Director: Honma Shuu

General of the Three Kingdoms, Kongming had struggled his whole life, facing countless battles that made him into the accomplished strategist he was. So on his deathbed, he wished only to be reborn into a peaceful world... and was sent straight to modern-day party-central, Tokyo! Can even a brilliant strategist like Kongming adapt to the wild beats and even wilder party people?!
If I do end up watching a music management anime this season, it has to be this one. Unusual to see P.A. Works produce something that isn't their own original story!

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. Heart

Animation Studio: Zero-G
Director: Kitahata Tooru (Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, Hinako Note)

The second season of Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita.
S1 made my list back when I was watching 16 anime per season, but now that I've cut down my viewing, I think this is one rom-com sequel too many for me.

RPG Fudousan

Director: Koshida Tomoaki (Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san, Ikebukuro West Gate Park)

The story begins 15 years after the demon king was defeated and the world has become peaceful. Kotone, who graduated from school and became a magician, inquired about the kingdom-affiliated RPG Real Estate in order to find a new home. In reality, RPG Real Estate was Kotone's place of employment, and together with Fa, a demi-human, the priest Rufuria, and the soldier Rakira, they help support the searches of new homes for the customers with various circumstances.
This might have appealed more if I hadn't already watched Dragon, Ie wo Kau only a year ago. Still, maybe different customers with different needs might be enough variation to make it work.

Shachiku-san wa Youjo Yuurei ni Iyasaretai.

Director: Nanbara Kyuu

A little ghost girl gets worries when Ms. Fushihara, a corporate slave, is working till midnight, and tries to make her go home. While saying "Leave now~," the ghost girl helps and brings her refreshments, healing Ms. Fushihara's heart with her preciousness. Be healed by the heartwarming daily life of the cute little ghost and the corporate slave Ms. Fushihara.
Think this one is a no; these character designs are too sweet for me, they will rot my teeth. Too much comedy this season!

Shadowverse Flame

Genre: Fantasy, Game
Animation Studio: Zexcs
Director: Kawaguchi Keiichirou (Hayate no Gotoku!, Island)

Tenryu Light, a transfer student, decides to join "Seventh Flame," one of the seven Shadovar clubs. However, Seventh Flame is on the verge of closure due to a lack of members! In order to avoid the club's demise, Light decides to look for new members. But what awaits him are powerful rivals who control a wide variety of cards...
I mean, surely that's better than having rivals who barely own any cards? Depends on how high stakes these games are, I guess. Not a direct sequel to the earlier Shadowverse anime, but I'm not that interested.

Shijou Saikyou no Daimaou, Murabito A ni Tensei suru

Animation Studio: SILVER LINK., Blade
Director: Minato Mirai (Masamune-kun no Revenge, Meikyuu Black Company)

As the most powerful entity of all time, the Demon Lord Varvatos thinks life is a big fat snore. When he takes matters into his own hands and decides to reincarnate, he calibrates his magical strength to be perfectly average. But there is no way he could have predicted that everyone in the modern world would be weak as hell, which means he is totally overpowered once again! Reborn under the name Ard, he has ladies fawning over him, the royal family begging him to become the next king, and an ex-minion insisting on killing him?! But Ard has a one-track mind, and he won't stop at anything to achieve his ultimate goal!
It may not be isekai, but the whole 'reincarnated OP protagonist' thing still doesn't interest me. They all blur into one generic mass in my mind.

Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road

Japanese Airdate: Apr 1, 2022
Director: Kawasaki Yoshiki

The Lost Ones are wanderers who come here from a distant world known as "Japan." No one knows how or why they leave their homes. The only thing that is certain is that they bring disaster and calamity. The duty of exterminating them without remorse falls to Menou, a young Executioner. When she meets Akari, it seems like just another job...until she discovers it's impossible to kill this girl! And when Menou begins to search for a way to defeat this immortality, Akari is more than happy to tag along! So begins a journey that will change Menou forever...
See, there are just so many people being isekai'd that this world had to set up a pest control service! I'd watch it, but it itself is isekai.

Spy x Family

Genre: Action, Comedy
Animation Studio: Wit Studio, CloverWorks
Director: Furuhashi Kazuhiro (Shoukoku no Altair, Dororo (2019))

For the agent known as "Twilight," no order is too tall if it is for the sake of peace. Operating as Westalis' master spy, Twilight works tirelessly to prevent extremists from sparking a war with neighboring country Ostania. For his latest mission, he must investigate Ostanian politician Donovan Desmond by infiltrating his son's school: the prestigious Eden Academy. Thus, the agent faces the most difficult task of his career: get married, have a child, and play family.

Twilight, or "Loid Forger," quickly adopts the unassuming orphan Anya to play the role of a six-year-old daughter and prospective Eden Academy student. For a wife, he comes across Yor Briar, an absent-minded office worker who needs a pretend partner of her own to impress her friends. However, Loid is not the only one with a hidden nature. Yor moonlights as the lethal assassin "Thorn Princess." For her, marrying Loid creates the perfect cover. Meanwhile, Anya is not the ordinary girl she appears to be; she is an esper, the product of secret experiments that allow her to read minds. Although she uncovers their true identities, Anya is thrilled that her new parents are cool secret agents! She would never tell them, of course. That would ruin the fun.

Under the guise of "The Forgers," the spy, the assassin, and the esper must act as a family while carrying out their own agendas. Although these liars and misfits are only playing parts, they soon find that family is about far more than blood relations.
Add another comedy series to my lineup – I've been getting the manga recommended to me for a while, and having now watched the anime trailer, it does look fantastic.

Summertime Render

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural
Japanese Airdate: Apr 15, 2022
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Uchuu Kyoudai, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

After his parents died, Shinpei Ajiro lived with the Kofune sisters, Mio and Ushio, but he has since moved to live on his own in Tokyo. But after Ushio drowns while trying to save the young Shiori Kobayakawa, he returns home to mourn her departure. However, bruises around Ushio's neck bring her cause of death into question.

Taking a step back, Shinpei becomes convinced there must be another explanation. Dangerous entities roam among the islanders, and a vision of deceased Ushio asks him to "save Mio" as her final request. He is certain that something is afoot—and Ushio's death is only a piece of the puzzle.

With the help of Mio and various others, Shinpei struggles to forge a future in which he, his friends, and family can stay alive. But the more he investigates, the more impossible such a future seems. This darkness infiltrates his home island. Just how much more suffering will he go through before finding the right path to save it all?
This isn't comedy, or sport, or isekai, or music – I think it makes my list by default, just for variety's sake! I do like a good dark mystery though, especially if there may be time travel elements involved.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2

Animation Studio: Kinema Citrus, DR Movie
Director: Jinbou Masato (Chaos;Child, Isekai Shokudou)

The second season of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari.
The #1 most anticipated anime of Spring 2022, according to AniChart. I didn't watch S1, because it's isekai.

Thermae Romae Novae

Animation Studio: NAZ
Japanese Airdate: Mar 28, 2022
Director: Tatamitani Tetsuya (Africa no Salaryman (2019))

Lucius Modestus, an ancient Roman architect, finds himself job-hunting due to having trouble coming up with new ideas. As his demeanor and personality become dismal, his friends try taking him to a bathhouse for him to relax. Unable to unwind in the bustling and crowded bath, Lucius dips his head in the water. Down there, he finds a secret tunnel that transports him to a modern-day Japanese bathhouse, providing him the inspiration he needed to make a new creation.

Loaded with what seems to be knowledge way ahead of his time, Lucius does his best to try and recreate his findings, usually inferior in quality due to his circumstances. However, the sheer ingenuity may be just enough to gain the attention of the citizens and regain his reputation as an architect.
Nice to see this get a new adaptation, 10 years on from the short, Flash anime it got last time. Seems its' getting the more standard 'all eps in one day' Netflix treatment, so not one I'll be following weekly.

Tiger & Bunny 2

Genre: Action, Sci-fi
Director: Kase Mitsuko (Crystal Blaze, Ristorante Paradiso)

The second season of Tiger & Bunny.
Speaking of decades, here's a sequel I wasn't expecting! I think this is also hitting Netflix all in one day, but April 8th is early enough in the season that I can still CHOOSE to watch an ep a week alongside everything else.

Tomodachi Game

Genre: Game, Psychological
Animation Studio: Okuruto Noboru
Director: Ogura Hirofumi (Kuroshitsuji II, Warau Salesman New)

Yuuichi Katagiri has battled financial hardships his whole life but has learned to stay content and positive thanks to his close circle of friends. To keep a promise he made to them, Yuuichi saves up enough money to join them on the school trip. But when the gathered money mysteriously goes missing, suspicion falls on two of Yuuichi's friends: Shiho Sawaragi and Makoto Shibe, who were in charge of collecting the payments. Although innocent, Shiho and Makoto take responsibility for the failure to protect the money when no one else comes forward.

A few days later, Yuuichi and his friends receive mysterious letters which trick each of them into meeting up. Upon arrival, they are ambushed and knocked unconscious. They wake up in a mysterious room in the presence of "Manabu-kun," a character from a controversial children's show that stopped airing due to its malicious content. He informs the group that one of them indirectly gathered them together in order to settle a large debt. They are to play a "friendship game": a series of games that will test the strength of their bond and trust in each other. As the group's faith wavers due to the growing number of secrets and betrayals, Yuuichi must figure out who of his "friends" he can actually trust and ultimately discover the identity of the traitor.
Survival games usually involve large groups, and/or characters who've never met previously; the focus on a small group of friends in this one has me intrigued!

Ultraman Season 2

Animation Studio: Production I.G, Sola Digital Arts
Japanese Airdate: Apr 14, 2022
Director: Aramaki Shinji (Appleseed Alpha, Blade Runner: Black Lotus) & Kamiyama Kenji (Seirei no Moribito, Higashi no Eden)

The second season of Ultraman.
I didn't realize there was a S1! Though I've only recently started keeping track of Netflix originals and their weird release patterns. Definitely some of the best 3D animation this season.

Yuusha, Yamemasu

Animation Studio: EMT Squared
Director: Ishii Hisashi (Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii, Ame-iro Cocoa Series: Ame-con!!)

After saving the world, the strongest hero Leo became someone who is not wanted in the peaceful human world. He was too strong. Exiled, he seeks a job at the Demon King's Army, which he had defeated and needs to be rebuilt.

The Army had many problems: too much work, financial troubles, etc. Leo starts to make things better using his power. Leo encounters Echidna again, and asks her why she invaded the human world. There was an unexpected story...!
Again, I'm put off by the over-powered protagonist, but not being isekai certainly works in its favour.

Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Go Rush!!

Genre: Action, Game
Animation Studio: Bridge
Director: Kondou Nobuhiro (Nobunagun, Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalite)

The eighth anime series in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise.
And lastly... not my card game, but good to see the franchise is still leading to new anime series! Maybe I'll get that MTG Netflix series someday...

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, AniList, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 2 months ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Picked up:

Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story

Tomodachi Game

Tiger & Bunny 2

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic

Dance Dance Danseur

Spy x Family

Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de

Mahoutsukai Reimeiki

Kono Healer, Mendokusai

Dropped:

Healer Girl

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shitemita. r=1-sinθ

Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

Paripi Koumei

Heroine Tarumono! Kiraware Heroine to Naisho no Oshigoto

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu

Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san

Love All Play

Thermae Romae Novae

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai

Yuusha, Yamemasu
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Unfortunately, ad-supported free streaming will no longer be available on Crunchyroll starting with the new Spring season shows (aside from the first 3 eps of a few series).

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...season/.184038
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Oops, forgot to tag Kallisto, as you requested!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
Oops, forgot to tag Kallisto, as you requested!
Thanks that you remembered me.

You can remember another anime about golf? that is the first time I heard of! Could it be that Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story is also a romance anime about the main characters introduced in the trailer?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
(Original post by Kallisto)
Thanks that you remembered me.

You can remember another anime about golf? that is the first time I heard of! Could it be that Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story is also a romance anime about the main characters introduced in the trailer?
No problem!

Dan Doh!! is the only other full TV anime about golf since 2000, but I haven't watched it yet; there were a couple of others in the 1980s (Pro Golfer Saru & Ashita Tenki ni Nare!), but they've not been translated into English as far as I know. And more recently, there was the 14 minute long Sorairo Utility!

I don't know about any romance subplots in Birdie Wing; it's not got that genre tag on any of the websites I've used to get this info, but that might just mean it's not the main focus. Only time will tell!
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
(These series are all due to start airing in the first few weeks of April. If you're looking for something to watch between now and then, maybe check last season's preview thread for some ideas!)
Might help if I actually remembered to INCLUDE A LINK to last season's preview thread. :ahee: Fixed!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7147071
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
No problem!

Dan Doh!! is the only other full TV anime about golf since 2000, but I haven't watched it yet; there were a couple of others in the 1980s (Pro Golfer Saru & Ashita Tenki ni Nare!), but they've not been translated into English as far as I know. And more recently, there was the 14 minute long Sorairo Utility!

I don't know about any romance subplots in Birdie Wing; it's not got that genre tag on any of the websites I've used to get this info, but that might just mean it's not the main focus. Only time will tell!
A golf anime with one episode and 14 minutes... hey, I can watch it in no time! that is really short, I am a bit curious now.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Added Duel Masters King MAX to the list... there's not a lot of info out there for it, but apparently it's still on the way in early April!
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Definitely watching: Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. Heart, Spy x Family, Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san, Kaguya-sama, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai.

Still got Komi-san season 1 on my list to watch, so I'll probably end up binging that and catching up on season 2 at some point.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
(Original post by alow)
Definitely watching: Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. Heart, Spy x Family, Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san, Kaguya-sama, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai.

Still got Komi-san season 1 on my list to watch, so I'll probably end up binging that and catching up on season 2 at some point.
It's a good season for rom coms!
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
It's a good season for rom coms!
Looks to be! Hopefully something this year ends up as good as Horimiya :rolleyes:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
IT BEGINS! While none of the anime in my want to watch list are due to start this weekend, a handful of others are already airing - time to give some of those 'maybe' series a chance to win me over~

In a dystopian future, people are forced to live within the boundaries of the 'Clusters' where they are born, spending their life in one job. These Clusters are administered by AI, which have zero tolerance for anyone trying to leave. And yet, there are those who are so unsatisfied with their lives that they are willing to risk them trying to escape - that's where our main characters come in! Equa, Ferres and Martese are ordinary school girls (well, the latter is a demi-human slime, but that's ordinary here), who together with beastman Ulla and tiny robot Alga work as 'Extractors', helping their clients flee to other Clusters in hopes that the grass is greener on the other side.

Let's get the obvious out of the way - this is full 3D animation, lots of people hate it, I actually find it quite charming. Polygon Pictures is one of the better 3D studios by far, which helps given how action-packed this first episode was! Cast was fun; can't say anything about the plot or setting grabbed me immediately, but a few episodes of world building could change that.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/es...e-great-escape
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Love All Play

Animation Studio: Nippon Animation, OLM
Director: Takeuchi Hiroshi (Blade & Soul, Zunda Horizon)

Possibly the best looking of the high school sports anime this season (so far at least), though the trailer was much shorter than the others.

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd Season

Genre: Music, Slice of life
Animation Studio: Sunrise
Director: Kawamura Tomoyuki (Kamigami no Asobi, Mitsuboshi Colors)

Another sequel that isn't really an option for me, at least if I want to know who these characters are and what's going on. Best to watch them in order.

Machikado Mazoku: 2-choume

Director: Sakurai Hiroaki (Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Nekogami Yaoyorozu)

The trailer for this looked so fun, I had to check why I skipped S1 back in Summer 2019. My reason: “no trailer for this one yet, which makes it hard for me to get excited about it”.

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asaki Yume no Akatsuki

Genre: Drama, Suspense
Animation Studio: Shaft
Director: Miyamoto Yukihiro (Mahou Sensei Negima! Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba, Magical Suite Prism Nana)

I did watch Magia Record S1, but I wasn't madly into it, and skipped S2 due to more interesting shows airing in the same season.

Mahoutsukai Reimeiki

Animation Studio: Tezuka Productions
Director: Kuwabara Satoshi (Go-Toubun no Hanayome, Adachi to Shimamura)

A magical school headmaster named Albus, you say? Still, at least that's only the starting point, sounds like the series itself is more of a journey / adventure, which appeals to me more.

Motto! Majime ni Fumajime Kaiketsu Zorori 3rd Season

Genre: Adventure, Comedy
Animation Studio: Ajia-Do, Bandai Namco Pictures

Aimed at a younger audience than any of the other anime covered so far; I've not watched Kaiketsu Zorori, but it always looks fun.

Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu

Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Animation Studio: ENGI
Director: Fukumoto Shin`ichi & Miura Kazuya (Hataage! Kemonomichi, Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!)

Premise sounded like a carbon copy of Hamefura; wasn't expecting the mechs and magical grenades in the trailer! Still reincarnation isekai though, so I'm not keen.

Paripi Koumei

Genre: Comedy, Drama
Animation Studio: P.A. Works
Director: Honma Shuu

If I do end up watching a music management anime this season, it has to be this one. Unusual to see P.A. Works produce something that isn't their own original story!

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. Heart

Animation Studio: Zero-G
Director: Kitahata Tooru (Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate, Hinako Note)

S1 made my list back when I was watching 16 anime per season, but now that I've cut down my viewing, I think this is one rom-com sequel too many for me.

RPG Fudousan

Director: Koshida Tomoaki (Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san, Ikebukuro West Gate Park)

This might have appealed more if I hadn't already watched Dragon, Ie wo Kau only a year ago. Still, maybe different customers with different needs might be enough variation to make it work.

Shachiku-san wa Youjo Yuurei ni Iyasaretai.

Director: Nanbara Kyuu

Think this one is a no; these character designs are too sweet for me, they will rot my teeth. Too much comedy this season!

Shadowverse Flame

Genre: Fantasy, Game
Animation Studio: Zexcs
Director: Kawaguchi Keiichirou (Hayate no Gotoku!, Island)

I mean, surely that's better than having rivals who barely own any cards? Depends on how high stakes these games are, I guess. Not a direct sequel to the earlier Shadowverse anime, but I'm not that interested.

Shijou Saikyou no Daimaou, Murabito A ni Tensei suru

Animation Studio: SILVER LINK., Blade
Director: Minato Mirai (Masamune-kun no Revenge, Meikyuu Black Company)

It may not be isekai, but the whole 'reincarnated OP protagonist' thing still doesn't interest me. They all blur into one generic mass in my mind.

Japanese Airdate: Apr 1, 2022
Director: Kawasaki Yoshiki

See, there are just so many people being isekai'd that this world had to set up a pest control service! I'd watch it, but it itself is isekai.

Spy x Family

Genre: Action, Comedy
Animation Studio: Wit Studio, CloverWorks
Director: Furuhashi Kazuhiro (Shoukoku no Altair, Dororo (2019))

Add another comedy series to my lineup – I've been getting the manga recommended to me for a while, and having now watched the anime trailer, it does look fantastic.

Summertime Render

Genre: Mystery, Supernatural
Japanese Airdate: Apr 15, 2022
Director: Watanabe Ayumu (Uchuu Kyoudai, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni)

This isn't comedy, or sport, or isekai, or music – I think it makes my list by default, just for variety's sake! I do like a good dark mystery though, especially if there may be time travel elements involved.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2

Animation Studio: Kinema Citrus, DR Movie
Director: Jinbou Masato (Chaos;Child, Isekai Shokudou)

The #1 most anticipated anime of Spring 2022, according to AniChart. I didn't watch S1, because it's isekai.

Thermae Romae Novae

Animation Studio: NAZ
Japanese Airdate: Mar 28, 2022
Director: Tatamitani Tetsuya (Africa no Salaryman (2019))

Nice to see this get a new adaptation, 10 years on from the short, Flash anime it got last time. Seems its' getting the more standard 'all eps in one day' Netflix treatment, so not one I'll be following weekly.

Tiger & Bunny 2

Genre: Action, Sci-fi
Director: Kase Mitsuko (Crystal Blaze, Ristorante Paradiso)

Speaking of decades, here's a sequel I wasn't expecting! I think this is also hitting Netflix all in one day, but April 8th is early enough in the season that I can still CHOOSE to watch an ep a week alongside everything else.

Tomodachi Game

Genre: Game, Psychological
Animation Studio: Okuruto Noboru
Director: Ogura Hirofumi (Kuroshitsuji II, Warau Salesman New)

Survival games usually involve large groups, and/or characters who've never met previously; the focus on a small group of friends in this one has me intrigued!

Ultraman Season 2

Animation Studio: Production I.G, Sola Digital Arts
Japanese Airdate: Apr 14, 2022
Director: Aramaki Shinji (Appleseed Alpha, Blade Runner: Black Lotus) & Kamiyama Kenji (Seirei no Moribito, Higashi no Eden)

I didn't realize there was a S1! Though I've only recently started keeping track of Netflix originals and their weird release patterns. Definitely some of the best 3D animation this season.

Yuusha, Yamemasu

Animation Studio: EMT Squared
Director: Ishii Hisashi (Ame-iro Cocoa in Hawaii, Ame-iro Cocoa Series: Ame-con!!)

Again, I'm put off by the over-powered protagonist, but not being isekai certainly works in its favour.

Yu☆Gi☆Oh!: Go Rush!!

Genre: Action, Game
Animation Studio: Bridge
Director: Kondou Nobuhiro (Nobunagun, Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalite)

And lastly... not my card game, but good to see the franchise is still leading to new anime series! Maybe I'll get that MTG Netflix series someday...

-

All the info has been sourced from AniChart, AniDB, AniList, Youtube and MAL. If you think I've missed any upcoming full-length TV anime off this list, let me know and I'll look into them.
Just read the summary to Spy x Family. That is more exiting and funnier than I expected. Sounds like an anime I may please to add on my list.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Just read the summary to Spy x Family. That is more exiting and funnier than I expected. Sounds like an anime I may please to add on my list.
It's definitely the series I'm most looking forward to, apart from the sequels to things I've watched before anyway. :yep:
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
It's definitely the series I'm most looking forward to, apart from the sequels to things I've watched before anyway. :yep:
Just see that even a badminton anime is on air soon. Is it just my perception or did the sport animes got popular in the last two years...
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Just see that even a badminton anime is on air soon. Is it just my perception or did the sport animes got popular in the last two years...
Yeah, there's definitely more of them, and covering a wider range of sports than just the popular baseball and football! I thought it was promotion for the Tokyo Olympics, since even things like beach volleyball (Harukana Receive) and sport climbing (Iwakakeru!) got anime series in recent years, but it looks like it's continuing even after the Olympics ended.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
Over to HIDIVE, to find out if it's worth keeping my subscription going this season:

Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road (The Executioner and Her Way of Life)

A fantasy world is being inundated with 'Lost Ones': people from our real world country of Japan, who are transported there against their wills, often by illegal magical summoning. A schoolboy named Mitsuki finds himself in this situation, but his new isekai life doesn't quite go according to plan; he has no currency, no known super powers, and he can't even make a quick profit through introducing new technology to their world - previous Lost Ones have already done all of that long ago. A priestess named Menou reaches out to him, but in reality her role is to exterminate dangerous Lost Ones... turns out she's our real protagonist, and already has her next target in sight: a schoolgirl named Akari.

I got oversaturated and bored with isekai years ago, yet this series is self-aware that it's one of many, and bakes that into its premise - I like what it's doing with the genre. The world and its class systems were interesting. Menou was a solid main character, though I found her aide Momo annoying. Also, apparently this is shoujo-ai, which I missed in my pre-season synopsis! Not bad, but I think this season has better to come.

Official HIDIVE link: https://www.hidive.com/tv/the-execut...er-way-of-life
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Yeah, there's definitely more of them, and covering a wider range of sports than just the popular baseball and football! I thought it was promotion for the Tokyo Olympics, since even things like beach volleyball (Harukana Receive) and sport climbing (Iwakakeru!) got anime series in recent years, but it looks like it's continuing even after the Olympics ended.
Oh, true. I have already forgotten the Olympic games. By the by the best sport anime in my opinion was and still is Attack No.1. Ever heard of this anime? it is a very old one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
29.55%
As I expected (12)
27.27%
Harder (17)
38.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed