The Student Room Group

Could I describe my GCSEs as "8 GCSEs A*- C" in my CV if I only got Bs and Cs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doubleup
I'm finishing my A-level studies this year and I'm moving on to University shortly. I think I'm just going to go with "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English" or "8 GCSEs including Maths and English".

That's what people write when they have **** grades.

You have 8 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English, and good job for getting that.
Reply 21
Original post by ozzyoscy

You have 8 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English, and good job for getting that.

Thank you, but I'm slightly confused about what you mean.

If you're saying I'm able to present my B-C GCSE grades as "8 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English", then how would it indicate that my grades would be any better or worse than someone saying "8 GCSEs including Maths and English"?

If anything lower than a C is a fail at GCSE, then both of these statements would be showing the grades were somewhere in between A*s and Cs.
Thank you, but I'm slightly confused about what you mean.

If you're saying I'm able to present my B-C GCSE grades as "8 GCSEs A*-C including Maths and English", then how would it indicate that my grades would be any better or worse than someone saying "8 GCSEs including Maths and English"?

If anything lower than a C is a fail at GCSE, then both of these statements would be showing the grades were somewhere in between A*s and Cs.

Any grade at GCSE is a pass.

So people with Fs and Gs just say "I have 8 GCSEs" and it's completely true. (But no one asks for proof so they'd be better off just saying they got A*-C tbh.)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 23
Any grade at GCSE is a pass.

So people with Fs and Gs just say "I have 8 GCSEs" and it's completely true. (But no one asks for proof so they'd be better off just saying they got A*-C tbh.)

Do you have evidence of this? Because I was under the impression that anything under a grade 4 / C was classified as a fail and didn't count as a GCSE qualification.
Do you have evidence of this? Because I was under the impression that anything under a grade 4 / C was classified as a fail and didn't count as a GCSE qualification.

If you didn't pass a GCSE, you'd get a U, which literally stands for 'ungraded'.

Google it and I'm sure you'll see.
I'm creating a CV and I'm curious to know whether I am able to describe my GCSEs as "A* - C", or would I need to actually have at least one A* to present them like that?

You can, but if the employer checks, then you look actively deceitful (unless you are going for some really sharp marketing job). The practical answer is no, it's not worth the risk.
Original post by Fruity Girl
I would describe them as A-C not A-G as the only pass grades are A-C as far as employers are concerned. Using the new numerical grading system confuses employers most of which haven't got the familiarity with them yet. So you might say 8 GCSES 9-5 or 9-4 (equivalent to A-C passes)

OP doesn’t have an A grade, so therefore they shouldn’t say that the highest grade that they have is an A.

The irony in this post… you say that’s what people say when they have bad grades, yet you are resulting in misleading the employer by saying the highest grade you have ranges up to A*.
You might as well. No ones ever going to check your certificates or go to the school where you took your exams to investigate.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
The irony in this post… you say that’s what people say when they have bad grades, yet you are resulting in misleading the employer by saying the highest grade you have ranges up to A*.

The irony of the misuse of the word 'irony'...

Saying you have 8 GCSEs at A*-C grade, or an employer asking for that, has always meant 'GCSEs within the A*-C range', NEVER 'one of the GCSEs is A*'.

Just because it's an 18-30 holiday doesn't mean you have to be literally 18 and 30 to do it... if an employer asks for someone with 2-3 year's experience, doesn't mean you need 3 years... come on...
(edited 2 years ago)

You are mistaken. A GCSE qualification and a GCSE pass are not the same thing. Here's the official government site:

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels
Just to add, every time I’ve started with a new employer they’ve requested to view the certificate of all the qualifications I’ve listed. Including GCSE’s.
Reply 31
Original post by skylark2
You are mistaken. A GCSE qualification and a GCSE pass are not the same thing. Here's the official government site:

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/list-of-qualification-levels

Oh wow, so if somebody got grades 2s and 3s in 11 separate GCSEs, they could claim to have "11 GCSEs including Maths and English" despite not passing?
Reply 32
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You might as well. No ones ever going to check your certificates or go to the school where you took your exams to investigate.

Nah the last thing I'd want to do is mislead my employer, especially if it's only GCSE grades lmao
(edited 2 years ago)
Nah the last thing I'd want to do is mislead my employer, especially if it's only GCSE grades lmao

Get more qualifications so they don’t check then
Nah the last thing I'd want to do is mislead my employer

An admirable quality, but everyone else will 'mislead' the employer and the get the job or place ahead of you, while the employer themselves are misleading you.

Just like an applicant will never tell their interviewer they didn't get along with their co-workers in their last job or that they lack experience, the interviewer will never tell the applicant that everyone here is miserable and they're not actually looking for any qualifications / experience, just someone local and available.
Yes, my A-level results are expected to be considerably higher. I also should be going to university this year.
I think I'm just going to go with "8 GCSEs including x in Maths and y in English" and then present my more recent qualifications.

I think that would be the best way to put it- I wish you the best of luck in your cv application, uni and A Levels! :smile:
Oh wow, so if somebody got grades 2s and 3s in 11 separate GCSEs, they could claim to have "11 GCSEs including Maths and English" despite not passing?

Absolutely they could - which is why being more specific about what you got may be useful, at least as far as putting something which makes it clear that you don't have very low grades goes.
lmfao that's gold
you're probably pushing it there but you haven't exactly lied :biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending