The Student Room Group

Title

This thread is now closed.
(edited 2 years ago)
If this is an 'everyday issue' on which you need advice, I dread to think would an 'extraordinary issue' would be!
Original post by Memebigboy._
Long story short, I am said to have impersonated a police officer over WhatsApp to an uncle who has been a bad person such as harassing over phone calls and manipulating my grandmother who has dementia in order to receive money.

The police are now investigating.
How would the police manage to trace IMEI and IP address of the suspect?

Get a lawyer ASAP
Long story short, I am said to have impersonated a police officer over WhatsApp to an uncle who has been a bad person such as harassing over phone calls and manipulating my grandmother who has dementia in order to receive money.

The police are now investigating.
How would the police manage to trace IMEI and IP address of the suspect?

What are the police investigating? The alleged harassment of your grandmother by your uncle? Or the alleged impersonation of a police officer over WhatsApp?

Although WhatsApp messages are end-to-end encrypted, they are easily readable on both the sending and receiving device - including the phone number from which each messages was sent. (Or at least, that was the case when I last poked around the SQLite WhatsApp message database on my own phone.) So if the recipient of the messages (your uncle?) allows the police access to his phone, I doubt that'll it'll take them long to identify the origin of the messages - in terms of the sending phone number.

Having said that, if these alleged WhatsApp messages are along the lines of, "This is the Police. We know you're up to no good. Stop it." then I suspect no-one would be fooled into thinking that was genuinely from the Police so that allegation of "impersonation" would we weak, at best.
Original post by DataVenia
Having said that, if these alleged WhatsApp messages are along the lines of, "This is the Police. We know you're up to no good. Stop it." then I suspect no-one would be fooled into thinking that was genuinely from the Police so that allegation of "impersonation" would we weak, at best.

tbf, that's quite sophisticated for TSR. Next stop GCHQ.
What are my options?
Change Sim Card or phone?

I wouldn't do either.

Sending a message over WhatsApp falsely claiming to be the Police isn't realistically going to lead to a prosecution. This is mainly because if the Police wanted to contact someone, WhatsApp isn't going to be their chosen means of communication. So almost no-one is going to have genuinely believed you to be the Police.

Don't get me wrong, you've committed an offence (based upon the information you've provided so far), but the guidelines the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) use say:

"You should consider the motive of the defendant. Where the impersonation involves a threat to the safety of any person, or to property, or is done with a view to financial gain, then a prosecution should follow."

See https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/public-justice-offences-incorporating-charging-standard#_Toc536105686.

It sounds like your motive was to stop your uncle from harassing your grandmother. Is that correct? Would I also be correct in saying that there was no "threat to the safety of any person, or to property, or ... view to financial gain" involved? That being the case, I think you're fine.
Reply 6
How are you being blackmailed?

If you have evidence of your uncle's harassment and financial deception, why didn't you go to the police?
My advice to you- post this question on as many different forums as you an think of such as Reddit, Digital Spy and money saving expert.
Do not consult a lawyer, a layman can replace one.
They are aware of his antisocial behaviour due to a PRIOR police visit.

I am being blackmailed because my uncle is saying 'I am texting him pretending to be the police and threatening to arrest him'.

This sounds like a "publish and be damned" kind of situation. What is he actually threatening to do? There is no way he could take this to the police that wouldn't have a much worse impact on him.
I didn't text him though. He's playing games. I suspect he's brought a new SIM card and texting himself and blackmailing me. Does that make sense?

Not at all, no. You started this thread by saying:

...I am said to have impersonated a police officer over WhatsApp

Now you're saying:

I didn't text him though...he's brought a new SIM card and texting himself...

So he's got two phones and is using one to impersonate the Police?

I'd originally read all the above as you impersonating the Police (to pressure him). Now I'm completely lost. If he's texting himself, why would you be talking about changing your phone and/or SIM card? Is that an attempt to stop him sending you messages or something?
Subscribing just to see if this thread ever makes sense.
"I am said to have impersonated".

Hmmm. My previous post clearly had too many questions, so I'll try one at a time.

Did anyone actually impersonate the police via WhatsApp?
Reply 12
Ok so did you do so or is he doing and and trying to scare you thinking he has framed you for it?

Neither case will likely result in any issues for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending