The Student Room Group

Why does the UK still have a monarchy?

I would prefer if the UK were a republic with an elected upper and lower chamber. Why is it that we still have a monarchy? I honestly don't see the point of them. They just waltz around spending our money, enjoying the high life, and I just don't understand why. Isn't it about time the monarchy was abolished and we became a proper republic?

The idea of a monarchy is pretty antiquated now. We should do away with it in my opinion.

Scroll to see replies

I agree it doesn't seem fair that random people are treated specially because of who their parents are when they aren't really doing much
Maybe the monarchy should go with the Queen. Who knows?
Original post by SagaciousSag
Maybe the monarchy should go with the Queen. Who knows?

100% should end with the queen. The farce of the royal trip to the west indies really irked me. What the hell did will and kate go there for? Their ancestors basically enslaved africans, raped the country and bled them of resources, and they went there why? Pointless ****ing institution. Should be got rid of asap. We're all basically paying for these toffs to go on an eternal holiday. They serve no function in a modern day democracy.
Reply 4
Absolutely not. As a figure head Queen Elizabeth 2 has singularly devoted her whole life to this country, been devoted to her duty and shames us all for her resilience and uncomplaining outlook. There are so many people who do not understand the history of our present monarchy and their role linked to parliament. There is no one standing in the UK who has sacrificed more from a very early age right through to old age for us all. She has given her every waking hour to the role of monarch and worked so hard with other world leaders to make this country prosper, including having the prime minister's ear. The fortune she owns is used wisely and she pays her way in many aspects of Royal life. She has many powers but does not use them nearly enough. She makes her feelings known when the country is being mis-managed, albeit she is not allowed to be political. She whole heartedly supports our armed forces, thank goodness, as many politicians have sidelined them and abused their use and given lip service to living conditions and veteran support. I am only sorry her powers are not greater and involve more sacking and barring all politicians elected or otherwise who are greedy, corrupt and only in it for themselves (they should be grateful the Queen can no longer take off their heads) This would include the retaking control of mismanaged, incapable and corrupt devolved Governments. Unfortunately that act alone would empty most of the house of Lords and Parliament. We need someone as an anchor for UK traditions to stabilise this country. We are fast becoming a mess of a state with mass population.

I agree there are some royals who have recently done great damage to the UK monarchy by being extremely self centred narcissists and allowing their overblown sense of entitlement and grandeur to cloud their judgement. That is unforgivable. Their perception and abuse of power has been disgraceful. Resigning from the monarchy and then trying to be a fake royal on social media is helping no one. Those royals should hang their heads in shame at the damage they have done and are continuing to do to the UK.

Other Royals hardly mentioned are very hard working. Princess Anne, Prince Charles, and Prince Edwards all have a sense of duty and tradition and do their best to support charities and events across the UK. They all act as positive role models in a society that is fast evolving into a 'grab it all' - ' when its gone it's gone' society. The Royal family are a draw to many thousands of visitors from abroad and are a to boost tourism for the economy. They are supported at a cost but they are our Royals and they are absolutely worth it.

For all their faults, we should continue to uphold the traditional structures of society, and that includes the monarchy. As more and more people enter the country and want power for themselves, they will seek to destroy the established structures which have maintained a relatively calm and ordered society for the past few hundred years. This started in the 1960's and is still continuing. This wish to dissolve the monarchy is power envy. If we dissolve the monarchy, dismantle the structures of society and rush for elected officials to be in place instead this will be just the start. The clamour will grow louder until we disintegrate into violent civil war, get dictators and autocrats in power and repeat the same mistakes of history experienced by many new violent, unstable societies. Unfortunately as so often is the case, we only realise the value of something when it has gone.
Original post by Muttly
Absolutely not. As a figure head Queen Elizabeth 2 has singularly devoted her whole life to this country, been devoted to her duty and shames us all for her resilience and uncomplaining outlook. There are so many people who do not understand the history of our present monarchy and their role linked to parliament. There is no one standing in the UK who has sacrificed more from a very early age right through to old age for us all. She has given her every waking hour to the role of monarch and worked so hard with other world leaders to make this country prosper, including having the prime minister's ear. The fortune she owns is used wisely and she pays her way in many aspects of Royal life. She has many powers but does not use them nearly enough. She makes her feelings known when the country is being mis-managed, albeit she is not allowed to be political. She whole heartedly supports our armed forces, thank goodness, as many politicians have sidelined them and abused their use and given lip service to living conditions and veteran support. I am only sorry her powers are not greater and involve more sacking and barring all politicians elected or otherwise who are greedy, corrupt and only in it for themselves (they should be grateful the Queen can no longer take off their heads) This would include the retaking control of mismanaged, incapable and corrupt devolved Governments. Unfortunately that act alone would empty most of the house of Lords and Parliament. We need someone as an anchor for UK traditions to stabilise this country. We are fast becoming a mess of a state with mass population.

I agree there are some royals who have recently done great damage to the UK monarchy by being extremely self centred narcissists and allowing their overblown sense of entitlement and grandeur to cloud their judgement. That is unforgivable. Their perception and abuse of power has been disgraceful. Resigning from the monarchy and then trying to be a fake royal on social media is helping no one. Those royals should hang their heads in shame at the damage they have done and are continuing to do to the UK.

Other Royals hardly mentioned are very hard working. Princess Anne, Prince Charles, and Prince Edwards all have a sense of duty and tradition and do their best to support charities and events across the UK. They all act as positive role models in a society that is fast evolving into a 'grab it all' - ' when its gone it's gone' society. The Royal family are a draw to many thousands of visitors from abroad and are a to boost tourism for the economy. They are supported at a cost but they are our Royals and they are absolutely worth it.

For all their faults, we should continue to uphold the traditional structures of society, and that includes the monarchy. As more and more people enter the country and want power for themselves, they will seek to destroy the established structures which have maintained a relatively calm and ordered society for the past few hundred years. This started in the 1960's and is still continuing. This wish to dissolve the monarchy is power envy. If we dissolve the monarchy, dismantle the structures of society and rush for elected officials to be in place instead this will be just the start. The clamour will grow louder until we disintegrate into violent civil war, get dictators and autocrats in power and repeat the same mistakes of history experienced by many new violent, unstable societies. Unfortunately as so often is the case, we only realise the value of something when it has gone.

Alright, why not have an elected queen if you think it's such a good idea? I take issue with someone being able to be the head of state by virtue of birthright.
Upon the Queen’s unfortunate demise, I propose we appoint Richard Ayoade as the next king.
I think we can still incorporate the traditions of a monarch into our own elected head of state, such as remaining a neutral, independent and non-partisan figurehead that strengthens national unity, remains a treasured symbol of the country and preserves our democratic institutions. The House of Commons Speaker, Lindsay Hoyle, is a great example of a well-respected politician that is already elected to be a referee in the political process and champion the interests of the British people while remaining impartial and keeping our representatives following the rules. However, I think it's highly unlikely that we will actually get rid of the monarch with an elected head of state yet. As long as the royals continue their duties and keep a safe public image, it will never even come close to reaching the top of the political agenda. It would be yet another incredibly lengthy and divisive issue, requiring both the codification of our constitution and a subsequent referendum to legitimise the process. Anyway, the monarch does serve a useful function to our democracy but one that can be better fulfilled through reforming our head of state to be elected with the consent of the people, not inherited out of privilege and birthright.
Original post by Angus5124
I think we can still incorporate the traditions of a monarch into our own elected head of state, such as remaining a neutral, independent and non-partisan figurehead that strengthens national unity, remains a treasured symbol of the country and preserves our democratic institutions. The House of Commons Speaker, Lindsay Hoyle, is a great example of a well-respected politician that is already elected to be a referee in the political process and champion the interests of the British people while remaining impartial and keeping our representatives following the rules. However, I think it's highly unlikely that we will actually get rid of the monarch with an elected head of state yet. As long as the royals continue their duties and keep a safe public image, it will never even come close to reaching the top of the political agenda. It would be yet another incredibly lengthy and divisive issue, requiring both the codification of our constitution and a subsequent referendum to legitimise the process. Anyway, the monarch does serve a useful function to our democracy but one that can be better fulfilled through reforming our head of state to be elected with the consent of the people, not inherited out of privilege and birthright.

Can you see the paradox though? You say it has a place in our democracy, but by it’s very nature, a monarchy is undemocratic. It’s a biproduct of feudalism. It has no place is modern democracy.

when I see the royals prancing around on TV, my blood boils. To me the royal family represents racism, slavery, elitism, toffs, white privilege. Basically all the bad things about humanity. The UK should seriously consider getting rid of it. Hope it happens in my lifetime.
Original post by boulderingislife
Can you see the paradox though? You say it has a place in our democracy, but by it’s very nature, a monarchy is undemocratic. It’s a biproduct of feudalism. It has no place is modern democracy.

when I see the royals prancing around on TV, my blood boils. To me the royal family represents racism, slavery, elitism, toffs, white privilege. Basically all the bad things about humanity. The UK should seriously consider getting rid of it. Hope it happens in my lifetime.

Yes, the monarchy is inherently undemocratic but I would argue it's strict neutrality over the policy or leadership of government grants it some leniency to remain as part of our democracy; the monarch has not refused royal assent to a bill in over three-hundred years and is currently the most popular public figure in the country. I do agree that it has historically been the symbols of imperialism, elitism and slavery - but like most of our institutions they can be modernised and reformed to reflect the trends in public opinion. I think the hereditary nature of the monarch may make this increasingly difficult as we live in a society that is becoming more conscious of these past injustices. But could the younger royals offer that much needed freshness and adaptability within the monarchy to keep it alive and relevant in the modern day? I'm not completely sure, but at least for now, it's not going anywhere soon.
'I wish I could abolish this thing massively more powerful, popular and effective than me :tongue:'

Got to dream I suppose, see you next episode :tongue:
Reply 11
send em to the wall
The Queen is probably the only people that I like in the royal family.
Original post by Joeyz99
Why does nobody talk about Epstein/Maxwell and Prince Andrew having sex with underage girls..

Our politicians, royalty, powerful billionaires like Bill Gates are all doing it

Mossad

You haven't seen the recent royal media have you? They've literally been talking about this. Unless by "nobody" you mean the British public.
If you think the alternative is any better watch The Disc on YT. The full expose of the politicians abuse of expenses. Even allowing for that our system is less corrupt than most around the world.
Original post by boulderingislife
I would prefer if the UK were a republic with an elected upper and lower chamber. Why is it that we still have a monarchy? I honestly don't see the point of them. They just waltz around spending our money, enjoying the high life, and I just don't understand why. Isn't it about time the monarchy was abolished and we became a proper republic?

The idea of a monarchy is pretty antiquated now. We should do away with it in my opinion.

I am in favour of our constitutional monarchy.

The Crown is the glue that binds our country to its past and unifies the people. That may sound like some sentimental hogwash but I think its so absolutely important.

Walter Bagehot is the foremost writer on our British constitution. He demarcated the state into two the "dignified" and the "efficient." The Crown is the "dignified". Its function supersedes the everyday hussle-bussle of politics and government. The Prime Minister, Cabinet and Parliament fall into the "efficient" category.

I think it is so important to have an apolitical & impartial head of state whose purpose is not to govern - but ensure proper governance. It is the indispensable glue of our unwritten constitution, and binds the various organs of state (Cabinet/Courts/Parliament) to a more profound sense of legitimacy beyond quotidian plebiscites & everyday politics -- which are capricious and ephemeral. The Crown is tied to our quondam Kings and Queens of England and, in so doing, to our broader tradition and history. The Crown's represent our nation's dignity and history - from civil wars to major political events; and confers legitimacy on the Prime Minister and his government. It suffuse respect and deference to these institutions - and the peoples - in such a way that no legislature can one their own. When the judiciary/justices are appointed, they undergo the swearing-in ceremony and are given their official robes. The opening of parliament is a ceremonial process which confers the due respect on the affairs of the Parliament. The same with privy councillors.

If you look at America, the famous political animosity results from a lack of a unifying central figure of universal respect that imbues the organs of state with a calling beyond the everyday business of government. America does not have a figure to tie the nation to its tradition, culture and history.

I think the Crown is worth its weight in gold.
Reply 16
Original post by Pythian
I am in favour of our constitutional monarchy.

The Crown is the glue that binds our country to its past and unifies the people. That may sound like some sentimental hogwash but I think its so absolutely important.

Walter Bagehot is the foremost writer on our British constitution. He demarcated the state into two the "dignified" and the "efficient." The Crown is the "dignified". Its function supersedes the everyday hussle-bussle of politics and government. The Prime Minister, Cabinet and Parliament fall into the "efficient" category.

I think it is so important to have an apolitical & impartial head of state whose purpose is not to govern - but ensure proper governance. It is the indispensable glue of our unwritten constitution, and binds the various organs of state (Cabinet/Courts/Parliament) to a more profound sense of legitimacy beyond quotidian plebiscites & everyday politics -- which are capricious and ephemeral. The Crown is tied to our quondam Kings and Queens of England and, in so doing, to our broader tradition and history. The Crown's represent our nation's dignity and history - from civil wars to major political events; and confers legitimacy on the Prime Minister and his government. It suffuse respect and deference to these institutions - and the peoples - in such a way that no legislature can one their own. When the judiciary/justices are appointed, they undergo the swearing-in ceremony and are given their official robes. The opening of parliament is a ceremonial process which confers the due respect on the affairs of the Parliament. The same with privy councillors.

If you look at America, the famous political animosity results from a lack of a unifying central figure of universal respect that imbues the organs of state with a calling beyond the everyday business of government. America does not have a figure to tie the nation to its tradition, culture and history.

I think the Crown is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you Pythian for your eloquent summary
If you didn't have a Queen, you'd have a President as most EU countries do. The UK Monarchy is a cultural and social institution, it represents tradition and values... and hey, when tourists flock to watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, that shows that the monarchy also generates tourism and revenue.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hyped22
If you didn't have a Queen, you'd have a President as most EU countries do. The UK Monarchy is a cultural and social institution, it represents tradition and values... and hey, when tourists flock to watch the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, that shows that the monarchy also generates tourism and revenue.

So what if it represents a tradition? Traditions change. Times move on, and so should the UK. France, Germany and a host of other european countries used to have the monarchy and now do not.

i think it is about time the UK move out of the medieval times and adopt a more modern system of governance. And sorry, but tourists flocking to buckingham palace isn’t a good enough reason to keep the monarchy.
Original post by Muttly

This is the legacy of monarchy. Not something we should celebrate or be proud of. Unless you are a white racist that is…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-53527405?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Quick Reply

Latest