The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Is the University of Portsmouth being extra nice to everyone?

I’ve only received an offer from one Uni being the University of Portsmouth. I was denied by Sheffield and I’m waiting on my other choices.

I planned on not going to Portsmouth Uni because I prefer my other options and if I don’t get into my other options I was thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying as I will have higher than my predicted grades.
However, they’ve been sending me letters and tbf they are going the extra mile.

I’d received one of their offers which is unconditional if you set it as your firm and they also offer something like £1000 for a Vice-Chancellors Scholarship, the first pick of accommodation and room, etc.
They’ve also sent me a birthday card (my birthday is in 2 days) and said they’ll send some money to a charity of my choice as a birthday gift lol

As my mum didn’t get accepted into any of her choices and had to go to a University she didn’t want through clearing, she really wants me to go there.

Can anyone else who got an offer from Portsmouth confirm if they’ve received a similar? Do all Unis do this?
Trying to figure out if I’m special or not lmao
(edited 2 years ago)
They probably just want more students. Unis that have too many students applying don't need to do this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by SpaceLover29
They probably just want more students. Unis that have too many students applying don't need to do this.

Makes sense lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by SpaceLover29

Oh you cynic!
(yeah I agree)
Original post by comprehensive
I’ve only received an offer from one Uni being the University of Portsmouth. I was denied by Sheffield and I’m waiting on my other choices.

I panned on not going to Portsmouth Uni because I prefer my other options and if I don’t get into my other options I was thinking of taking a gap year and reapply as I will have higher than my predicted grades.
However they’ve been sending me letters and tbf they are definitely going the extra mile.

I’d received one of their offers which are unconditional if you set it as your firm and they also also offer something like £1000 for a Vice-Chancellors Scholarship, first pick of accommodation and room, etc.
They’ve also sent me a birthday card (birthday is in 2 days) and said they’ll send some money to a charity of my choice as a birthday gift lol

As my mum didn’t get accepted into any of her choices and had to go to a University she didn’t want through clearing, she really wants me to go there.

Can anyone else who got an offer from Portsmouth confirm if they’ve received similar? Do all Unis do this?

Don't be too swayed by all these things, it's just the marketing team doing their job in trying to attract more students. Wait until you get all your offers back before making a decision about who to Firm/Insure.
Original post by harrysbar
Don't be too swayed by all these things, it's just the marketing team doing their job in trying to attract more students. Wait until you get all your offers back before making a decision about who to Firm/Insure.

What cheeky little sausages, I hate to admit that it has slightly worked (especially on my Mum). You’re completely right tho, I won’t let it impact my decision.
I had a firm offer from them. Very little communication. Hadn't even received a registration link when other courses had. Every time I called I was told I'd get it in a day or two, then the next day the course was cancelled after being told it was going ahead the day before. This was two weeks before it was due to start. I'd say no, they're not.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by idontdousernames
I had a firm offer from them. Very little communication. Hadn't even received a registration link when other courses had. Every time I called I was told I'd get it in a day or two, then the next day the course was cancelled after being told it was going ahead the day before. This was two weeks before it was due to start. I'd say no, they're not.

Damn that’s unfortunate and pretty *****y on their end. What ended up happening?
What cheeky little sausages, I hate to admit that it has slightly worked (especially on my Mum). You’re completely right tho, I won’t let it impact my decision.

Well your mum probably thinks you're amazing so is pleased to think a uni recognises that :smile:

But there's no hurry and it's sensible to wait to weigh up all your offers.

Do you know much about the Vice-Chancellor's scholarship they’re offering for students who meet or get above their predicted grades with this offer? After looking it up it’s apparently for “students who are talented and gifted within their chosen subject area” which would look very nice on my empty CV and LinkedIn profile, however is it actually worth anything at all or just a useless award to try and pull in some extra students?
Damn that’s unfortunate and pretty *****y on their end. What ended up happening?

They offered me alternative courses, but I wasn't interested in them. They also said I could defer a year which is what I did. This was last September.
I ended up having this year out of education and I'm using it to try and focus on personal development. Just started a blog to try and hold myself accountable. I'm probably going to withdraw my deferral as I got offered a course by another uni that I like more, but I'm waiting to see if they can meet my needs at the moment.
Do you know much about the Vice-Chancellor's scholarship they’re offering for students who meet or get above their predicted grades with this offer? After looking it up it’s apparently for “students who are talented and gifted within their chosen subject area” which would look very nice on my empty CV and LinkedIn profile, however is it actually worth anything at all or just a useless award to try and pull in some extra students?

I'm sorry to say this but I honestly think it's just a way to pull in some extra students, nothing you could really use to put on your CV in future. The £1000 would be good and the first pick of accommodation so it's not completely useless but only worthwhile if Portsmouth genuinely does end up being the uni you want to Firm because it has the best course, for example. If you end up preferring another uni then you shouldn't just pick Portsmouth for the incentives it is offering because you will be paying 9k plus in tuition fees (getting a loan anyway) so it's not worth it.

Edited to say - it's usual to have nothing much on your CV when you're still at school - don't worry about that!
(edited 2 years ago)
They offered me alternative courses, but I wasn't interested in them. They also said I could defer a year which is what I did. This was last September.
I ended up having this year out of education and I'm using it to try and focus on personal development. Just started a blog to try and hold myself accountable. I'm probably going to withdraw my deferral as I got offered a course by another uni that I like more, but I'm waiting to see if they can meet my needs at the moment.

It’s good that you spent some time to focus on yourself and personal development. I wish you luck with your future education wherever that is!
I'm sorry to say this but I honestly think it's just a way to pull in some extra students, nothing you could really use to put on your CV in future. The £1000 would be good and the first pick of accommodation so it's not completely useless but only worthwhile if Portsmouth genuinely does end up being the uni you want to Firm because it has the best course, for example. If you end up preferring another uni then you shouldn't just pick Portsmouth for the incentives it is offering because you will be paying 9k plus in tuition fees (getting a loan anyway) so it's not worth it.

Yeah that sounds about right. I’m just going to do as you suggested and wait for all my offers before making a decision.
I think the £1000 was the value of the scholarship rather than a bag full of cash (unfortunately xD). No idea how they value a scholarship though.
I like Portsmouth Uni and it looks like it would be fun as hell, but as I previously mentioned I’m going to make sure I don’t rush my decision.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey @comprehensive,

Those above are right, you shouldn't rush your decision. Waiting until you have all your offers is the smart choice at the end of the day you need to choose a university you can see yourself enjoying, as that's where you'll grow the most as an individual and do your best. (Having said that, we do appreciate the fact you think we are a nice university :h:)

If you haven't attended a visit day already our last applicant experience day is this month on the 23rd April. We encourage applicants to visit us, not only to show you what it would be like to live and be a student here but also to meet your potential future peers and staff to see if you gel with them too. We would also recommend this for the other universities you receive offers from too.

Good luck with everything, and please do let me know if you need anything,

Alex - Official UoP Rep :smile:

Hi @idontdousernames,

We are so sorry for your experience, we recognise that this really isn't good enough.

If you'd be willing to share more information on this, we'd like to hear. You can send us a direct message or an email to [email protected] with your name and the course you applied to - we will then pass this on to the correct team as feedback.

Alex - Official UoP Rep

I planned on not going to Portsmouth Uni because I prefer my other options and if I don’t get into my other options I was thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying as I will have higher than my predicted grades.
However, they’ve been sending me letters and tbf they are going the extra mile.

I’d received one of their offers which is unconditional if you set it as your firm and they also offer something like £1000 for a Vice-Chancellors Scholarship, the first pick of accommodation and room, etc.
They’ve also sent me a birthday card (my birthday is in 2 days) and said they’ll send some money to a charity of my choice as a birthday gift lol

Can anyone else who got an offer from Portsmouth confirm if they’ve received a similar? Do all Unis do this?

It is a crap uni, begging for students. Their main aim is nothing but to farm money. Professors here are really dumb. Not for all courses, there are ofcourse some super smart professors and students, but majority defeats them. You be better off at some better uni, realising how crap this uni is kicks in from second year.
Original post by Anonymous
It is a crap uni, begging for students. Their main aim is nothing but to farm money. Professors here are really dumb. Not for all courses, there are ofcourse some super smart professors and students, but majority defeats them. You be better off at some better uni, realising how crap this uni is kicks in from second year.

Damn I’m sorry to hear that.
I‘ve firmed an offer from Exeter and I’m either going to go there or re-apply next year while doing an extra A-level in my gap year.
Thank you for the wise words haha
Damn I’m sorry to hear that.
I‘ve firmed an offer from Exeter and I’m either going to go there or re-apply next year while doing an extra A-level in my gap year.
Thank you for the wise words haha

No worries! Follow up with any questions you have. Ngl, apart from Academic side, portsmouth is still pretty chill place. Good friends, night life is decent, etc. But yeah, thats for 3 years, you go ahead with Career which is greatly impacted from your Academic Side. So choose wisely and good luck, hope you get the Uni you like.
Original post by University of Portsmouth
If you'd be willing to share more information on this, we'd like to hear. You can send us a direct message or an email to [email protected] with your name and the course you applied to - we will then pass this on to the correct team as feedback.

Same line is posted on every single negative review of Portsmouth Uni, just making sure the MARKETING team sees this so OTHERS don't get to see this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending