The Student Room Group

Can teachers withdraw a student from exams ?

Hi so I’m in year 13 and I did horribly in my recent mocks mostly because of anxiety and stress reasons where I get so nauseous and throw up my stress is too much in exams . And they used these mocks as indication to see if we will be entered for exams or not ? But I’m confused it’s nearly April …shouldn’t they have already put in our names ? Can teachers not put your name in for a exam that I have been working towards for two years ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chi2020
Hi so I’m in year 13 and I did horribly in my recent mocks mostly because of anxiety and stress reasons where I get so nauseous and throw up my stress is too much in exams . And they used these mocks as indication to see if we will be entered for exams or not ? But I’m confused it’s nearly April …shouldn’t they have already put in our names ? Can teachers not put your name in for a exam that I have been working towards for two years ?

Entries were done in February ... is this an empty threat?
Original post by Chi2020

Once you've been entered they can't withdraw you from the exam :smile:

I think @Muttley79 is right.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Entries were done in February ... is this an empty threat?

No clue , my teachers kept saying if we do bad in these exams they will withdraw our names and won’t let us sit the exams so we repeat another year , I’m worried sick
@EOData any advice for the OP? (another school that seems to not know their stuff when it comes to exams).
Original post by Chi2020
No clue , my teachers kept saying if we do bad in these exams they will withdraw our names and won’t let us sit the exams so we repeat another year , I’m worried sick

They can with draw an entry: https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/entries/check,-change-or-withdraw-entries

However they should not do this without your consent.
Reply 6
Original post by TriplexA
Once you've been entered they can't withdraw you from the exam :smile:

Of course they can - and up to 21 April they get a full refund as well. Regardless, I don't think it is reasonable for a candidate to be withdrawn at this stage without their consent.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
They can with draw an entry: https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/entries/check,-change-or-withdraw-entries

However they should not do this without your consent.

Unfortunately I don’t think they care for our consent , it’s up to the teacher
Original post by Chi2020
Unfortunately I don’t think they care for our consent , it’s up to the teacher

Get parents involved ...they are trying to manipulate results for league tables.
Original post by Chi2020

i am in the same situation
It's highly, highly unlikely that you'd be withdrawn from an examination against your wishes at this stage. SLT couldn't be doing with all the aggro and hassle of it. I suspect this is a ruse from your teacher to get you to pull your finger out and do some work.
Reply 11
Original post by Reality Check
It's highly, highly unlikely that you'd be withdrawn from an examination against your wishes at this stage. SLT couldn't be doing with all the aggro and hassle of it. I suspect this is a ruse from your teacher to get you to pull your finger out and do some work.

I agree.
Reply 12

Thank you put me at ease for a while , it’s just my friends predicted got changed by a teacher cuz she did bad in the mocks and way below her predicted , I thought predicted grades couldn’t be changed after the ucas has been sent off she has received offers already idk if they will withdraw their offer. This reason was also why I was scared when they said they can withdraw us from examinations I don’t know if it’s empty threats or if they need my consent to do or they will just do it without asking they keep saying it over and over and my mocks have been horrible this month .
Original post by Chi2020
Thank you put me at ease for a while , it’s just my friends predicted got changed by a teacher cuz she did bad in the mocks and way below her predicted , I thought predicted grades couldn’t be changed after the ucas has been sent off she has received offers already idk if they will withdraw their offer. This reason was also why I was scared when they said they can withdraw us from examinations I don’t know if it’s empty threats or if they need my consent to do or they will just do it without asking they keep saying it over and over and my mocks have been horrible this month .

No problem.

As for the revision of predicted grades, I think this is more of an internal thing than a UCAS thing. You're right that the prediction sent to the universities isn't going to be revised or changed now, but the teacher is at liberty to change what he or she predicts for the student in light of recent test/mock results. Just have to hope that your friend outperforms these predictions on the day!

Personally, I'd be inclined to be very adult about this, speak to the teacher in private after a lesson and ask respectfully that he or she does not threaten you with things like examination withdrawal as you find it adds to your stress levels and isn't in any way motivating or productive. Unfortunately, your teacher should just know this already... :frown:

Best of luck with your forthcoming examinations.
No problem.

As for the revision of predicted grades, I think this is more of an internal thing than a UCAS thing. You're right that the prediction sent to the universities isn't going to be revised or changed now, but the teacher is at liberty to change what he or she predicts for the student in light of recent test/mock results. Just have to hope that your friend outperforms these predictions on the day!

Personally, I'd be inclined to be very adult about this, speak to the teacher in private after a lesson and ask respectfully that he or she does not threaten you with things like examination withdrawal as you find it adds to your stress levels and isn't in any way motivating or productive. Unfortunately, your teacher should just know this already... :frown:

Right? This sounds horrid, why are we threatening stressed children??? I'm sure they realise the gravity of the exams already, no need to add on.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Right? This sounds horrid, why are we threatening stressed children??? I'm sure they realise the gravity of the exams already, no need to add on.

Exactly - teachers really shouldn't need telling this sort of stuff. Even an ECT (early career teacher) would realise that you don't motivate a pupil already stressed and anxious about their examinations by holding the threat of sudden examination withdrawal over them :facepalm:
No problem.

Hi i am in a similar situation your post has helped me to calm down as well thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ////////////
Hi i am in a similar situation your post has helped me to calm down as well thanks

No problem - glad it helped :smile: I honestly wouldn't worry about idle threats like this - instead just concentrate on working and getting the results you're capable of.
Just to add to what others have said, the school will have their own internal set of predicted grades, so that, for instance, they can give informed advice on whether you should fork out $$$ for remarks if your results aren't all you'd hoped for. If someone gets three Bs and is devastated because they were hoping for three A*s, that advice will be rather different if actually their teachers thought they'd get 3 Cs given their recent performance. They might also be used to decide, for instance, whether to ring up a university or the exam board to say the results are most likely wrong (this does happen occasionally, one year at my son's school one subject had massively low grades and it turned out the marks for one paper were missing an entire section. It was dealt with very quickly and without everyone having to ask for remarks).
Original post by Chi2020

Your year group didn't do GCSEs and has almost no experience of public exams! Of course you borked your Mocks: just like many, many other students. It's a process and a learning curve and I bet you can identify things you'll do differently in the summer :smile: . Do NOT let anyone make you feel like you're the worst - it's absolutely untrue and students who are struggling are everywhere this year... it's sad, but it's also a fact you can take heart from.

Entries were done around 22 Feb 22, however withdrawals can be made until about 21 April, then further adjustments can be made but it costs.
Having said that though, has anyone said they are withdrawing you from your A Levels? What a horrid and unproductive way to motivate students!
How are you coping now with exam anxiety? Usually one would expect to see an increase of a grade or two between mocks and the final exams, and your exam nerves should decrease as you become more confident in your subject knowledge and have greater exposure to questisons.

One suggestion is to ignore the empty threat, focus on the revision work at hand, and perhaps try a meditation / breathing / anxiety app to help you reduce your stress levels. It's a useful technique to employ before an exam, and even during one to reset your peace of mind and help you concentrate well. Try iBreathe, Headspace, or Calm.

Don't compare yourself to previous years' students or to your peers, just compare yourself to you yesterday and take another step forward.

Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending