The Student Room Group

Will Smith smacking Chris Rock

Thoughts on Will Smith smacking Chris Rock
funny
Reply 2
42 mil views
Original post by Farah_xx
Thoughts on Will Smith smacking Chris Rock

Considering the background, I understand this action.Chris made a bad joke about his wife's hair although she has written on facebook before that it has something to do with her illness. That is tasteless. And even if Chris did not read it, he went too far. I would have done the same, but with a punch.
Obviously all the self-centred feminists are gonna agree that Will did the right thing so they can make this about Jada being the victim just because she's a woman. But as a man with some class, I disagree with what he did. Someone makes a joke about your wife, so what? Laugh it off while the cameras are watching, be the bigger man and confront the person backstage when the cameras are off, tell them you don't appreciate the joke and that this person owes your wife an apology. Instead Will Smith chooses to interrupt the show, assault another man and then swear at him, while millions of people around the world (including families with young children) are watching. Yes the joke was in poor taste - that's part of the job, especially in stand-up comedy ("roasting" is famous at the Oscars) and especially Chris Rock's style of jokes. Still no excuse for what Will Smith did. Coming from someone who has grown up watching Will Smith and everything he's made since Fresh Prince, someone who's aware of what a huge role model he is for young men (especially young black men) - I think the man has really embarrassed himself and potentially sabotaged his whole career because he chose violence. I actually think he deserves to lose his Oscar, which would be a tremendous shame, but there must be some repercussions for violent outbursts when the whole issue could have been handled in a civil manner between mature adults off screen. Instead, I think we will see a precedent in comedy clubs across the country with people finding it acceptable to jump on stage and attack someone who makes a joke that offends you.

Before anyone jumps in with abuse - watch the clips of the show again. Will Smith is seen laughing at the GI Jane joke while Jada looks visibly annoyed. Camera cuts to Chris Rock, and seconds later Will is on the stage. Within that gap of a few seconds off-screen, he's already blown a fuse. There's also a video taken by someone sitting behind Jada, clearly showing her laughing while Will is swearing at Chris Rock. Does that look like someone who's offended or someone who enjoys the drama? This is a woman who emasculated her husband on live TV for the world to watch, made the whole thing about herself and her feelings instead of a discussion. And a man with the bigger career and more to lose who's lost all self-control. The only person who handled the situation with dignity, like a true professional - is Chris Rock.
Reply 5
He's in abusive relationship
EfFMPoxXgAAI16q.jpg
Reply 6
Original post by asif007
Obviously all the self-centred feminists are gonna agree that Will did the right thing so they can make this about Jada being the victim just because she's a woman. But as a man with some class, I disagree with what he did. Someone makes a joke about your wife, so what? Laugh it off while the cameras are watching, be the bigger man and confront the person backstage when the cameras are off, tell them you don't appreciate the joke and that this person owes your wife an apology. Instead Will Smith chooses to interrupt the show, assault another man and then swear at him, while millions of people around the world (including families with young children) are watching. Yes the joke was in poor taste - that's part of the job, especially in stand-up comedy ("roasting" is famous at the Oscars) and especially Chris Rock's style of jokes. Still no excuse for what Will Smith did. Coming from someone who has grown up watching Will Smith and everything he's made since Fresh Prince, someone who's aware of what a huge role model he is for young men (especially young black men) - I think the man has really embarrassed himself and potentially sabotaged his whole career because he chose violence. I actually think he deserves to lose his Oscar, which would be a tremendous shame, but there must be some repercussions for violent outbursts when the whole issue could have been handled in a civil manner between mature adults off screen. Instead, I think we will see a precedent in comedy clubs across the country with people finding it acceptable to jump on stage and attack someone who makes a joke that offends you.

Before anyone jumps in with abuse - watch the clips of the show again. Will Smith is seen laughing at the GI Jane joke while Jada looks visibly annoyed. Camera cuts to Chris Rock, and seconds later Will is on the stage. Within that gap of a few seconds off-screen, he's already blown a fuse. There's also a video taken by someone sitting behind Jada, clearly showing her laughing while Will is swearing at Chris Rock. Does that look like someone who's offended or someone who enjoys the drama? This is a woman who emasculated her husband on live TV for the world to watch, made the whole thing about herself and her feelings instead of a discussion. And a man with the bigger career and more to lose who's lost all self-control. The only person who handled the situation with dignity, like a true professional - is Chris Rock.

Very well said
Original post by asif007

You have your views and points on that issue and after thought again and see this in another perspective, I change my mind and think that Will Smith went too far when he escalated. I agree with you.

Will Smith is suspended for ten years now. That is to say he is not allowed to be at the academy awards in this time span.
What a simple wordplay with Chris surname. Smith's action may forget in the next years, but his memes are created for eternity. :lol:
People say that Chris rocks the academy awards with his roast. Sheesh, that is even a worse wordplay than yours.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by asif007

Not sure that I agree with the last sentence. Will Smith undoubtedly let himself and his fans down and might have damaged his reputation and career, but only might have. Chris Rock however didn’t come out with a surprise comment, it was something that he dreamt up and rehearsed for hours on end. If he didn’t realise what incredibly poor taste he was showing then he really does have a problem. His career stands to encounter far bigger problems than Will Smith’s Imao
(edited 1 year ago)
Here comes a new challenger!!!

Quick Reply

Latest