What is the difference between a BA degree and an honours degree? Watch

Andysw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I was looking at a degree course from the bath spa prospectus and it said that when you completed the 2 year foundation course you can apply for an honours degree.

Can someone explain what the difference is between a 2 year foundation degree and a 3 year (BA) degree?

What is an honours degree?
scraceus999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Umm you are confused arent you lol.

If you do the 2 years foundation, you can then progress onto the normal 3 year BA degree. Honours is the BA degree at a 2:1 level or above, so that depends on how you perform. They are the same thing so dont worry about it
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scraceus999)
Honours is the BA degree at a 2:1 level or above,
No; honours degrees are all results of third class honours or above (1st, upper second and lower second are all above third class honours). Below an honours degree is a n ordinary, or pass, degree. All are designated as BA, BSc or whatever.
noodles!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Alright, I'm confused now. Well, I was in the first place. So if I graduate with a 2:1 it will be a BA(Hons) yes?
scraceus999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
No; honours degrees are all results of third class honours or above (1st, upper second and lower second are all above third class honours). Below an honours degree is a n ordinary, or pass, degree. All are designated as BA, BSc or whatever.
thats what i meant lol.....was having trouble getting it into words. When i said BA i didnt mean ONLY BA i only said that cos the OP was saying about his degree being BA.

I didnt think getting a 3rd resulted in honours? if you miss a third then you have failed, so where is tha gap between the pass degree and the honours?
TheBrightShadow
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A foundation degree is a pre-university degree standard degree usually taken by students who lack the qualification to be admitted into a BA or BSC course. When completed you will then progress into the BA degree which is 3/4 years.

An honours degree means when you completed and passed a sufficient amount of modules within the degree (in my case you have to pass 11 out of 12). If you don't pass enough modules you will gain a normal degree with no degree classification i.e. (2:1, 2:2 etc).
Andysw
Rep:
?
But a 2 year foundation degree requires 160 tariff points. How does that make it for students who lack the qualification?
Vincente
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well for example a friend of mine needed ABB/BBB to gain admission to a foundation science degree. In his case he doesn't have science A levels.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by scraceus999)
I didnt think getting a 3rd resulted in honours? if you miss a third then you have failed, so where is tha gap between the pass degree and the honours?
Of course it does; what do you think it is third class of? Some courses will award pass (or ordinary)degrees below the level of third class honours, others will fail the student.
Andysw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vincente)
Well for example a friend of mine needed ABB/BBB to gain admission to a foundation science degree. In his case he doesn't have science A levels.
Oh I see. So it's just a case of whether or not a student took a particular course for a-levels/btec.

But can you take a foundation degree for science (or other subjects) even though you have a-level science?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Andysw)

But can you take a foundation degree for science (or other subjects) even though you have a-level science?
Of course. You may not have the right science qualification, or your maths record may be poor.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
By the sounds of it, scraceus999 has heard the same thing as me. I've heard that I can only put BA Hons after my name if I get a 2:1 or above in my exams. Otherwise it's apparently just a plain BA. I've never had any confirmation or denial of that though :nah:
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
By the sounds of it, scraceus999 has heard the same thing as me. I've heard that I can only put BA Hons after my name if I get a 2:1 or above in my exams. Otherwise it's apparently just a plain BA. I've never had any confirmation or denial of that though :nah:
In that case you have both been misinformed about the British system of degree classification.

The order goes:

• First class honours
  • Upper second class honours
  • Lower second class honours
  • Third class honours
  • Ordinary degree

Below that you fail.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In that case you have both been misinformed about the British system of degree classification.

The order goes:

• First class honours
  • Upper second class honours
  • Lower second class honours
  • Third class honours
  • Ordinary degree

Below that you fail.
I'm glad to hear it I thought it was just one of these weird Oxbridge rules
opalescence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My degree programme is a BA (Hons) in Business. I was told that not all the modules are necessary to get an ordinary degree. After reading this thread I am confused.
If I were to drop/fail those modules that are not necessary, will I still receive an ordinary degree?
Aliylum
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As a 3rd year doing BA(hons) Business at Strathclyde:

BA is a 3 year course. You will have modules that are compulsory for everyone and modules that you can choose. To complete a full year, you need to have 120 credits worth of modules. For my uni, 1 module = 20 credits.

Honours is still part of a BA dergree but is a year extra. In this year you will submit a dissertation.

Entry into Honours year is considered in 3rd year by the uni and you need to meet a certain standard to be accepted for Honours - think its 60% average.

So basically Hons is more work (credits), at a higer level, requiring a dissertation and is only open to those who perform decently in years 1-3.

Lastly, I believe I am correct in saying that if you do a BA only, you just get a pass, pass with merit (60% avg) or pass with distinction (70% avg).

If you do a Hons then you get 1st class, upper and lower 2nd and 3rd class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zedd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends upon whether you study in Scotland or not.

In Scotland a BA is a 3 year unclassified degree or as we term it: an ordinary degree, which is awarded mostly at non-ancient universities. There are two may ways of getting this degree: You can either opt to leave after the third year and receive a BA, or if you receive a degree classification of 3 in your honours studies then you will be awarded an ordinary degree (BA) instead of an honours degree (BA(Hons).
opalescence
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
@Aliylum: Thanks for clarifying. In my case, I am studying a course programme from England. If I choose to do only a BA, will I still be able to graduate with a BA without honours?

@Zedd: No, I am studying in England. Thanks for clarifying. Do you know the difference between the salary for a BA and a BA (Hons) holder?
Zedd
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by opalescence)
@Aliylum: Thanks for clarifying. In my case, I am studying in England. If I choose to do only a BA, will I still be able to graduate with a BA without honours?

@Zedd: No, I am studying in England. Thanks for clarifying. Do you know the difference between the salary for a BA and a BA (Hons) holder?
A non-honours degree is essentially worthless from what I can gather (honours degrees being so common these days most employers want a 2.1 or 2.2 honours degree to enter into graduate positions). The only instances where that isn't the case are when the degree is a professional degree, e.g., medicine, dentistry, vet med., nursing, etc. Really though it depends on what you want to do and what the businesses that you apply to are looking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads