The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Is Bristol Uni a low ranking university?

I have recently received all my uni decisions back. I have decided Warwick (ABB) is my firm choice. I have received offers from LSE (AAB) and Bristol (BBB). Bristol reduced the offer from AAB to BBB. I have realised the LSE accommodation is too expensive in comparison to Bristol and I prefer Bristol's course more. Am I making a mistake if I reject LSE for a lower ranking uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redcandy
I have recently received all my uni decisions back. I have decided Warwick (ABB) is my firm choice. I have received offers from LSE (AAB) and Bristol (BBB). Bristol reduced the offer from AAB to BBB. I have realised the LSE accommodation is too expensive in comparison to Bristol and I prefer Bristol's course more. Am I making a mistake if I reject LSE for a lower ranking uni?

ranking rly dont matter; bristol is a great uni and city is lovely too . if bristol's course suits you more you should deffo choose that
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

LSE is by far the most reputable university that have given you an offer.

Warwick and Bristol will be peers in reputation.

Bristol is not "low ranking". Is your reduced offer contextual?
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Bristol is not "low ranking". Is your reduced offer contextual?

Yes, the offer is a contextual offer.
Yes, the offer is a contextual offer.

Bristol makes 'two grades lower' contextual offers.

If you like the course, it sounds like a dream offer - you could even have that as your Firm and not bother with an Insurance.
No it is not low ranking may they offer other projects
All are great unis, make your decision based on which you actually like the most not by its position in a league table. The importance of league tables is highly inflated on this site
Personally I've heard there's no student life at LSE and that it can be a really isolating place to study, especially for British students as there are so many international students who often stay in their own cliques. Also, London doesn't really have a student atmosphere at all and if anything it's really stressful so you may end up regretting spending your time at uni there if you don't enjoy the angsty city vibes. It does however sound like a cool place to make international friends and generally improve on your work ethic as it's clearly a pretty gruelling environment.
Bristol is a great place to be a student - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q
Reply 10
Original post by jeonsugarhigh
Personally I've heard there's no student life at LSE and that it can be a really isolating place to study, especially for British students as there are so many international students who often stay in their own cliques. Also, London doesn't really have a student atmosphere at all and if anything it's really stressful so you may end up regretting spending your time at uni there if you don't enjoy the angsty city vibes. It does however sound like a cool place to make international friends and generally improve on your work ethic as it's clearly a pretty gruelling environment.

Thanks for your insight! I really want to go to uni with a good student atmosphere.
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
Bristol is a great place to be a student - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

I've lived in London my whole life and I love the city, the buildings and the fast pace lifestyle. However, Bristol is a beautiful city and it will be fun to explore a new city.
Reply 12

Bristol is definitely not low ranking, the reason they've reduced your offer is most likely because you recieved a contextual offer, which is a good thing. I'd say if you've decided on warwick as your firm choice and its between LSE and Bristol as your backup option definitely go for Bristol. as you mentioned, you prefer the course and Bristol accommodation is cheaper. on top of this, the bristol grades are lower than warwick which makes sense for a backup option and also LSE tends to not have a good student life at all, whilst Bristol has a very good student life in comparison.
Although LSE might be viewed as 'more prestigious' this doesnt matter much, theyre both top 10 universities and both very good.

Dont agree with contextual offers if you put them as a backup. I think its ungrateful lol
There's like 130 universities in the UK. Bristol is ranked like 25th, yeah, I think you're good.
Original post by sami1815
Dont agree with contextual offers if you put them as a backup. I think its ungrateful lol

Surely all the offers from the OP are contextual ? They are based upon an individual's circumstances, not the specific university
Original post by dunnott
Surely all the offers from the OP are contextual ? They are based upon an individual's circumstances, not the specific university

Not all universities give them out. I also think a student should only get them if they put a uni as their firm otherwise it’s a slap in the face to students who actually achieve the grades
Reply 17
Original post by dunnott

Yes, the majority of my offers were contextual. My firm and insurance were both contextual offers.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Original post by sami1815

Ultimately, I am so grateful for all the offers I received! Contextual offers are given based on individual circumstances that the university takes into consideration.

I completely understand your point of view, but there’s so much more to it than grades when deciding your firm and insurance. I had to factor the cost, accommodation, travel, the modules, the university’s ability to provide additional support for my circumstances and the location etc.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jeonsugarhigh

I knew two people at uni who had dropped out of LSE as you do not get a standard uk uni experience. It is a great place to study but if you’re not doing their core subjects like economics and you’re a home student you would probably be better off elsewhere as their reputation probs wouldn’t cover it if you were studying something like history

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending