The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Languages at st andrews

Anyone here who is currently studying modern languages at st andrews? I’ve received an offer for french and german but I’d like to know more about the actual course aside from the generic information I’ve found on the website. What do you actually study? How literature heavy is it? How are you assessed? And can you change languages, like drop one and pick up another in the first year? Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Hi, I am a first year student at St Andrews studying French and German. In first you, you only have the choice of 1 module in each subject which you have to select. As you go though Uni, you gain access to more modules and choice. Unlike other subjects (which are far more lecture heavy) you will find that you have far more tutorials than you peers but far fewer lectures. In French, your weekly commitment is 1 lecture and 3 tutorials (writing, literature and oral) as well as something called tele-matin, which is a miscellaneous lecture on some part of French culture. The German requirement is slightly different. Instead of having the tele-matin, you have an extra grammar tutorial in addition to the other 3 tutorials. In terms of literature, you cover a new piece every 2 weeks. It is actually called literature and culture. This means that you will also be asked to watch films as well as read plays, novels and poetry. Each semester is roughly 12 weeks so in total, you will cover roughly 6 works of literature/film in tutorials, lectures and homework. In first year, these are all very varied. For example we went from reading a French medieval poem to watching entre les murs.

The thread deleted half my answer....
(edited 2 years ago)
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by bill303
Hi, I am a first year student at St Andrews studying French and German. In first you, you only have the choice of 1 module in each subject which you have to select. As you go though Uni, you gain access to more modules and choice. Unlike other subjects (which are far more lecture heavy) you will find that you have far more tutorials than you peers but far fewer lectures. In French, your weekly commitment is 1 lecture and 3 tutorials (writing, literature and oral) as well as something called tele-matin, which is a miscellaneous lecture on some part of French culture. The German requirement is slightly different. Instead of having the tele-matin, you have an extra grammar tutorial in addition to the other 3 tutorials. In terms of literature, you cover a new piece every 2 weeks. It is actually called literature and culture. This means that you will also be asked to watch films as well as read plays, novels and poetry. Each semester is roughly 12 weeks so in total, you will cover roughly 6 works of literature/film in tutorials, lectures and homework. In first year, these are all very varied. For example we went from reading a French medieval poem to watching entre les murs.

The thread deleted half my answer....

Ooh thanks for the detailed response! That sounds interesting, how are you finding the work? And would you know anything about being able to change languages/study another language just cause I’ve heard in scottish unis you can do 3 subjects ? but I’m still not completely sure how the system works. I’m saying this because I’d be studying post a level french, with german ab initio, but since applying I’ve become kind of interested in spanish as well/instead 😅 I’m going to the offer holder day tomorrow so I’ll probably find out about this but if you have any info yourself I’d be grateful haha. Thanks again for your response 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending