The Student Room Group

Economics Market structure question?

I'm stuck on these questions
1) An explanation of the four most important features of four different market structures, including a summary of the implications of these market structures on the behaviour of the two chosen organisation's - Tesco and Coca-Cola.

2) A discussion of the difference in actual competition in markets between countries and over time in relation to the two chosen organisation's - Tesco and Coca-Cola. Tesco is an oligopoly and so is Coca-Cola. But what are the differences between them in terms of competition in markets between countries.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Can someone please point me in the right direction?
Reply 3
Original post by Sania9518
1) An explanation of the four most important features of four different market structures, including a summary of the implications of these market structures on the behaviour of the two chosen organisation's - Tesco and Coca-Cola.

2) A discussion of the difference in actual competition in markets between countries and over time in relation to the two chosen organisation's - Tesco and Coca-Cola. Tesco is an oligopoly and so is Coca-Cola. But what are the differences between them in terms of competition in markets between countries.

Bump
Reply 4
Bump

Bump
Reply 5
Bump

Bump. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.
Hi! These are interesting questions and both of which im struggling to actually understand! If I had to guess for the second one I would presume going along the lines of Tesco's being an oligopoly and hence potentially being able to force prices up for consumers (Assuming there is collusion between firms e.g Sainsbury's, ASDA etc), you could also bring in the idea of the 'kinked demand curve' and the interdependence between oligopolists. I would assume Coca-Cola to be a monopoly and as a result there is the potential for limiting supply to force up prices, however there is potential for advantages such as it being able to exploit economies of scale and the potential for dynamic efficiency, resulting in better products for consumers as a result of R&D, due to the abnormal (supranormal, depends what your teacher calls them) profits. Hope this helps!
Reply 7
Original post by c_hindle1204
Hi! These are interesting questions and both of which im struggling to actually understand! If I had to guess for the second one I would presume going along the lines of Tesco's being an oligopoly and hence potentially being able to force prices up for consumers (Assuming there is collusion between firms e.g Sainsbury's, ASDA etc), you could also bring in the idea of the 'kinked demand curve' and the interdependence between oligopolists. I would assume Coca-Cola to be a monopoly and as a result there is the potential for limiting supply to force up prices, however there is potential for advantages such as it being able to exploit economies of scale and the potential for dynamic efficiency, resulting in better products for consumers as a result of R&D, due to the abnormal (supranormal, depends what your teacher calls them) profits. Hope this helps!

What should I put summary of the implications of these market structures on the behaviour of the two chosen organisation's. I chose Tesco and Coca-Cola.

Discuss the differences in actual competition in markets between countries and over time in relation to the two chosen organisation's - Tesco and Coca-Cola.

Please help me answer these two questions. Thank you for your response.
Reply 8

Bump
Reply 9
Bump
What should I put summary of the implications of these market structures on the behaviour of the two chosen organisation's. I chose Tesco and Coca-Cola.

Discuss the differences in actual competition in markets between countries and over time in relation to the two chosen organisation's - Tesco and Coca-Cola.

Please help me answer these two questions. Thank you for your response.

Please help me answer these questions :-)

Bump
Bump

Can someone help me please
Bump
Bump

I'm stuck on this question and would appreciate ANY help. Thanks so much.

1). How does the market structure (oligopoly, monopoly, perfect competition and monopolistic competition) affect the organisation e.g. Tesco and Coca-Cola.

2) Also, how does the firm's respond to the market structure they are in. I know that both Tesco and Coca-Cola are oligopolies but my question is how does this affect the behaviour of the organisation?
Bump
Bump

Bump
Bump

Bump
I'm stuck on this question and would appreciate ANY help. Thanks so much.

1). How does the market structure (oligopoly, monopoly, perfect competition and monopolistic competition) affect the organisation e.g. Tesco and Coca-Cola.

2) Also, how does the firm's respond to the market structure they are in. I know that both Tesco and Coca-Cola are oligopolies but my question is how does this affect the behaviour of the organisation?

I guess that since tesco is an oligopoly firm, it competes on quality rather than price (e.g. to differentiate its goods from Asda). This means it has got to have dynamic efficiency to keep up with the trends and compete on product quality.
coca-cola is a monopoly which needs to have heavy spending on advertisements to create a brand name. Tesco doesn't sell just one product, so it can't really advertise just one of its products.
So, coca cola spends on adverts but tesco spends on customer service and loyalty cards like tesco clubcard to compete on non-price factors.

Quick Reply

Latest