The Student Room Group

How best to approach firms for work experience?

HI, I'm a high school student and am applying for university later this year in hopes of getting to study law. However I've yet to get work experience in a law firm and have no family who work in law to approach on the topic. Is there anyone who has gotten work experience at a law firm that could tell me how they approached firms on the topic and got a response?

EDIT: Thanks to everyone who replied to me! Just a little update, I got some work experience at a firm just this summer so now I can put it on my uni application! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by idk_2005
HI, I'm a high school student and am applying for university later this year in hopes of getting to study law. However I've yet to get work experience in a law firm and have no family who work in law to approach on the topic. Is there anyone who has gotten work experience at a law firm that could tell me how they approached firms on the topic and got a response?

You don't need legal work experience to be competitive for a law degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Gmaster1980
You don't need legal work experience to be competitive for a law degree.

I am aware if this fact ... maybe I worded the question wrong... I was simply wondering how people who have managed to get work experience approached the firms is all.
Original post by idk_2005

Hi there @idk_2005

There are many law firms who already have opportunities for Year 10-13 students. These will mostly be bigger firms like Clifford Chance, Eversheds Sutherland, Allen & Overy, Bird & Bird just to mention a few. They have their own application processes so you can just fill them out.

For the smaller regional firms, it's best to find out firms in your area or in places you can travel to and research them through their websites or any other info you can find. Chambers Student and Legal Cheek have been particularly helpful for me. You should then tailor your CV and cover letter to the specific firms mentioning who you are and what you're seeking, why you're interested in the firm and how your previous experience aligns with their values. Make sure you're really showing your interest through your cover letter because that's what will make you stand out. As for the CV, because you don't have any legal experience, you can use your experience in any part-time jobs and extract transferrable skills or mention any A-level subjects that are relevant to their practice areas. Volunteering, unpaid work experience, school projects etc are all valuable so don't leave them out.

You can also find virtual work experience programmes which are free and you can complete at your own pace. These are available on Springpod and Forage.

Hope that helps :smile:

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending