The Student Room Group

Alevels for Dental Nursing

What alevels do you need for dental nursing? Can I do a foundation year if I do not have the right alevels?
I’m interested in applying to Newcastle Uni for dental nursing however I do not have biology as an alevel, my alevels are English Language, Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology.
Original post by Thahani H
What alevels do you need for dental nursing? Can I do a foundation year if I do not have the right alevels?
I’m interested in applying to Newcastle Uni for dental nursing however I do not have biology as an alevel, my alevels are English Language, Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology.

@Mesopotamian.or @hungrysalamander may be able to help :smile:

Do you want to study dental nursing or dental hygiene & therapy? Newcastle offers the latter, I think you need an apprenticeship for the former.
For dental hygiene & therapy at Newcastle, you need"ABB including Biology and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking." I'm not sure about requirements for other universities but you will have to apply to universities that don't require A-level biology or take A-level biology.
You don't need any A levels for dental nursing. In my college you only need 4 GCSE's.
Reply 4
Original post by hungrysalamander
Do you want to study dental nursing or dental hygiene & therapy? Newcastle offers the latter, I think you need an apprenticeship for the former.
For dental hygiene & therapy at Newcastle, you need"ABB including Biology and excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking." I'm not sure about requirements for other universities but you will have to apply to universities that don't require A-level biology or take A-level biology.

Would it be possible to do dental hygiene and therapy without biology alevel and do a foundation year, or would I just have to stick with dental nursing apprenticeship?
Also, is dental nursing just an apprenticeship and not a uni course or are there Unis that offer dental nursing as a course?
Thank you!
Would it be possible to do dental hygiene and therapy without biology alevel and do a foundation year, or would I just have to stick with dental nursing apprenticeship?
Also, is dental nursing just an apprenticeship and not a uni course or are there Unis that offer dental nursing as a course?
Thank you!

I've checked entry requirements for dental hygiene & therapy and most of them require A-level biology. Idk if foundation years exist for dental hygiene & therapy.
Some places, like Portsmouth, offers a certHE in dental nursing. Here's more information on how to become a dental nurse:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/dental-nurse

Quick Reply

Latest