The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Psychology Paper 1 7182/1 - 24 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

AQA A Level Psychology Paper 1 7182/1 - 24 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Tuesday 24th May AM
Length: 2h

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In the advanced spec it says, "Students will be expected to draw on knowledge, skills and understanding from across the
specification when responding to synoptic questions and extended writing." I am confused on how much to revise topics not listed because I want to only focus on the listed topics but I'm scared a non-listed topic comes up.
Original post by nisaa_
In the advanced spec it says, "Students will be expected to draw on knowledge, skills and understanding from across the
specification when responding to synoptic questions and extended writing." I am confused on how much to revise topics not listed because I want to only focus on the listed topics but I'm scared a non-listed topic comes up.

I think maybe like, for example in an evaluation, you might be able to use biological explanations (removed) to criticise a psychologcial explanation of something. I've noticed most of the explanations removed are biological.
Reply 3
Original post by s.norman182
I think maybe like, for example in an evaluation, you might be able to use biological explanations (removed) to criticise a psychologcial explanation of something. I've noticed most of the explanations removed are biological.

thanks!
Original post by s.norman182

this is so helpful!
my teacher said that they will only ask qs on the listed topics so im only doing whats on the list....i dont have time to revise things that may not come up lol
For the questions, how many case studies do you have to use? Say it's a 8 mark question? How many examples are people using?
For me probs 2-3
Original post by ngozigrey
For me probs 2-3

Oh really? Also, what sort of structure would you use? Like point, case study, explanation? Or do you have another structure?
Original post by >Username<
For the questions, how many case studies do you have to use? Say it's a 8 mark question? How many examples are people using?

In terms of studies I think that I'm going to take the approach of learning the main ones (E.g: social influence: Milgram) and then learning one more for evaluation for every topic that needs it. For instance, if I can find 3 evaluation points without research support or research contradicting a theory, then I'll use them to reduce the amount of knowledge needed so I'm able to apply more. Hope this helps!
Original post by Izzy.Maddy
In terms of studies I think that I'm going to take the approach of learning the main ones (E.g: social influence: Milgram) and then learning one more for evaluation for every topic that needs it. For instance, if I can find 3 evaluation points without research support or research contradicting a theory, then I'll use them to reduce the amount of knowledge needed so I'm able to apply more. Hope this helps!

For okay but for a 8 mark question how many case studies would you refer to?
Original post by >Username<
For okay but for a 8 mark question how many case studies would you refer to?

In AQA 8 markers have 3 A01 marks for knowledge and 5 marks for A03 Evaluation. So I would personally learn two Evaluation points but try and memorise one which had a contradiction. For example, Miranda as a cultural replication strength for situational variables affecting obedience but then say how despite the fact it was replicated in Spain it has only been tested in individualist Western cultures.
(edited 1 year ago)
I've found that I sometimes get stats and dates of studies mixed up - it's so difficult each study has different numerical findings and dates its inevitable that I'm gonna mix some of them up. do u think this would this have an effect on my marks?
Original post by eighthirty
I've found that I sometimes get stats and dates of studies mixed up - it's so difficult each study has different numerical findings and dates its inevitable that I'm gonna mix some of them up. do u think this would this have an effect on my marks?

I've asked my teacher this and as long as you get approximately the correct percentages you should be okay. For instance, you don't need to know that there's a 2% genetic risk of developing Schizophrenia if your aunt has it, however, you do need to know the risk of developing it is lower than if that person was your parent, sibling or twin and perhaps that it's under 5%. Still all accurate but less precise so that it's easier to remember. Hope that helps!
Original post by Izzy.Maddy
I've asked my teacher this and as long as you get approximately the correct percentages you should be okay. For instance, you don't need to know that there's a 2% genetic risk of developing Schizophrenia if your aunt has it, however, you do need to know the risk of developing it is lower than if that person was your parent, sibling or twin and perhaps that it's under 5%. Still all accurate but less precise so that it's easier to remember. Hope that helps!

okay thank you very much!
Also how important are dates and actual study information?:
ie 90 participants took part in 8 trials in Study A (1987)
a lot of random numbers that are sort of meaningless.. is such information worth learning do u think?
I'd make sure you know that for any AO1 on the advanced information but wouldn't worry too much about AO3. That's just what I would personally do.
Reply 16
Great
Original post by ngozigrey
my teacher said that they will only ask qs on the listed topics so im only doing whats on the list....i dont have time to revise things that may not come up lol

It's true that they will ask specific questions on those topics. However, anything that is NOT listed won't be a direct question but you still may need to know it could be a part of your answer.
Original post by HelloItsMe777
It's true that they will ask specific questions on those topics. However, anything that is NOT listed won't be a direct question but you still may need to know it could be a part of your answer.

could u give an example for a question that could be asked?
If the question doesn't directly ask then I don't think my brain would think to incorporate a topic not mentioned.
Original post by eighthirty
could u give an example for a question that could be asked?
If the question doesn't directly ask then I don't think my brain would think to incorporate a topic not mentioned.

For example, the cognitive approach is not mentioned on the advance information. But you will need to know how schemas work for gender schema theory.

I think they may still ask things like “Outline what is meant by a schema” (though it will be in the context of the topic that is on the advance info).

I’d say the advance information is definitely useful for revision, focus your revision there but also go over things that are not mentioned (this is what I am doing). I think there may be like small mark question, maybe 10 marks on each paper or so, where they test on things that are indirectly linked to the advance information stuff - remember they need to have a way to differentiate between A*, A, B, C and so. Or if the paper is ridiculously easy then grade boundaries will be skyhigh, I do OCR A chemistry and A* there is like sometimes as high as 90% because the papers are easy.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply