Outside music activities... Watch

This discussion is closed.
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Which universities have a lot of music activites such as orchestras, chamber music, concerts, choirs etc.
I am looking through websites and prosepecti but often they are like, yeah we have an amazing music background with orchestras blah blah and it turns out it is for grade5's, lol so that is strecthing it a bit - but can anyone help me?
Create
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Birmingham have at least two grade 7/8 standard orchestras, playing a variety of things from Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, some Ravel, Rach, Elgar etc.
They also have (I think 5?) choirs - but 1 maybe 2 of those are audition only.
There's a very strong Univeristy Music Society who are often putting on lunchtime recitals (chamber groups and solos inc), and the orchestras usually give one concert per term.

The orchestra I play with gets to play in the Symphony Hall once a year as well - which should be amazing.

There's also the Guild Music Theatre Group - if you're into musicals etc, which is great fun.

I believe Manchester also has very good music facilities - and of course being so close to the Royal Northern, there are lots of opportunities arising....

At Cambridge there are the Uni orchestras and then there are also the college orchestras (and of course choirs). If you're a member of a uni orchestras, you'll often get asked to join some of the smaller college orchestras for various concerts if they are short of players.

When I was enquiring at Loughborough, the information I received is that they don't have a Symphony Orchestra (which really surprised me), just a string orch.... correct me if I'm wrong!

Hope some of that helps. If I think/remember any more, I'll post them up.
picju96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Warwick has a very strong music scene, but no music degree, so everyone is doing it extra curricular. I think this is a big bonus. There is a symphony orchestra (who last year got asked to go to India for the biggest wedding of the year of a billionaire's son's), a wind orchestra, brass band, big band and many other smaller ensemble groups. There is a huge chorus, and smaller vocal groups such as chamber choir and revelation type choirs. The wind and brass is auditioned in symphony orchestra, and chamber choir is auditioned, but everything else is open to all. Musicians are also required by Music Theatre Warwick who put on large scale productions quite regularly. There is a high standard in all the groups. Go to www.warwick.ac.uk/musiccentre for more information.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Warwick is really sorted... no music dpt so none of the snobbery... lots of auditioned stuff - they offer a loooooooooooad of music scholarships etc etc... *notices the post above saying everything she's thinking* That was my main reason for applying to Warwick... and then i got there... and fell in love
Kew
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Royal Holloway has tons of extra-curricular music, though this isn't surprising considering it has such a good Music Department.You have to audition for the Symphony Orchestra (which does a concert at Sir John Smith's Square in London every spring, in addition to ordinary concerts), Chamber and String Orchestras, and some of the choirs - I can't remember off the top of my head if you have to audition for things like the big band, the contemporary music group and so on. The standard of playing required for the auditioning groups is around grade 8, though obviously the standard isn't quite as high as that for non-auditioning music groups.

The great advantage is that everyone can belong to the music groups, regardless of whether they actually are Music students or not. The only time you have to be a music student to take part is in Induction Week and Playing Week, when all Music students form a choir and orchestra, have rehearsals during the week and finish off with a concert at the end.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by historyhoney)
Which universities have a lot of music activites such as orchestras, chamber music, concerts, choirs etc.
I am looking through websites and prosepecti but often they are like, yeah we have an amazing music background with orchestras blah blah and it turns out it is for grade5's, lol so that is strecthing it a bit - but can anyone help me?
One of my main reasons for applying to Cambridge was it's incredible music. Look on the music group websites (there should be links off the main uni website)
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nottingham has lost of music ensembles of a good standard. Also if you are a brass player, uni's in the north tend to be better for brass bands (der obvious? ).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise