The Student Room Group

I sent a classmate a copy of my essay which I passed for their resubmission

I recently passed my essay at university however one of my classmates did not. Now they have to resubmit their paper. I made the mistake of sending a copy of my essay to this classmate and now I’m worried they will copy too much of the essay, as the classmate is quite lazy. How could this effect me? Please help

Scroll to see replies

you could get into a lot of trouble. it was a very silly thing to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I recently passed my essay at university however one of my classmates did not. Now they have to resubmit their paper. I made the mistake of sending a copy of my essay to this classmate and now I’m worried they will copy too much of the essay, as the classmate is quite lazy. How could this effect me? Please help

Talk to your classmate and warn them not to copy the essay, and tell them if they do then the university will likely find out (as they will have already read your essay and recognise any similarities) and your classmate will be in trouble for plagiarism. Hopefully that will put them off enough that they don't attempt to weave your work in with theirs. I would advise talking to your classmate face to face or on the phone, not putting anything in email or text about it. If the worse comes to it, it doesn't necessarily mean bad consequences for you as giving them the essay doesn't mean you were inviting them to copy it. But it's important to talk to your classmate as soon as possible about it.
Reply 3
Talk to your classmate and warn them not to copy the essay, and tell them if they do then the university will likely find out (as they will have already read your essay and recognise any similarities) and your classmate will be in trouble for plagiarism. Hopefully that will put them off enough that they don't attempt to weave your work in with theirs. I would advise talking to your classmate face to face or on the phone, not putting anything in email or text about it. If the worse comes to it, it doesn't necessarily mean bad consequences for you as giving them the essay doesn't mean you were inviting them to copy it. But it's important to talk to your classmate as soon as possible about it.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be doing this
Reply 4
It is collusion, and for them will be collusion and plagiarism. Both are serious instances of academic malpractice and can be heavily punished. You need to address this with the person in question ASAP.
Reply 5
If the worse comes to it, it doesn't necessarily mean bad consequences for you as giving them the essay doesn't mean you were inviting them to copy it.

Yes, it does mean bad consequences. Ignorance of the rules are not a defence against flouting them. Your advice is generally good, but this line is nonsense.
Original post by gjd800
Yes, it does mean bad consequences. Ignorance of the rules are not a defence against flouting them. Your advice is generally good, but this line is nonsense.

This website has scared me so much that in university I'm going to write essays in a silent, vacuum sealed room and scream at anyone that breathes near me if I have it in my bag, like a chicken.
as a tutor I know folks collaborate on work, heck I even encourage it sometimes - a great way to improve your writing is to debate assignments, share drafts, and mark each others work

BUT this is somewhat different and it probably isn't okay for me to comment on specific cases at a different uni

having said that . . .again from a tutor point of view, if this is first year then it might just be a wrap on the knuckles and might not even come back to you.

TurnItIn will flag to me if someone copied others' work and I will probably only focus on the copier not the copy-ee (if that's a thing) unless its outrageous. Most Unis let students submit draft work to software like this, it could be a relief for you if your friend did this

Related to this, I see assignments that are clearly not the students work or even purchased assignments (its not hard to tell!) and will escalate, sometimes the course/programme leader can be reluctant to challenge through formal channels . . .
Reply 8
Original post by LittleSkink
as a tutor I know folks collaborate on work, heck I even encourage it sometimes - a great way to improve your writing is to debate assignments, share drafts, and mark each others work

BUT this is somewhat different and it probably isn't okay for me to comment on specific cases at a different uni

having said that . . .again from a tutor point of view, if this is first year then it might just be a wrap on the knuckles and might not even come back to you.

TurnItIn will flag to me if someone copied others' work and I will probably only focus on the copier not the copy-ee (if that's a thing) unless its outrageous. Most Unis let students submit draft work to software like this, it could be a relief for you if your friend did this

Related to this, I see assignments that are clearly not the students work or even purchased assignments (its not hard to tell!) and will escalate, sometimes the course/programme leader can be reluctant to challenge through formal channels . . .

This seems utterly bonkers to me. I've been at 4 institutions in the past 10 years ish and not a single one would be so blasé about collusion (and to be clear, collusion is different to collaboration). I have had a lad dragged across the coals only this week for sending his mate some stuff for an open book exam that the mate then duly copied and submitted. They both got the same penalties.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
This website has scared me so much that in university I'm going to write essays in a silent, vacuum sealed room and scream at anyone that breathes near me if I have it in my bag, like a chicken.

It's not that bad. Just don't send anybody your essays etc because, sad as it sounds, people cannot be trusted.
agree there is a big difference between collaboration and collusion, hopefully folks can see the difference - I am certainly not trying to condone collusion, and Unis have rules and procedures in place to deal with that, but sometimes they seem reluctant to use them (ime)
The fact that you got through turnitin first means you should be fine. You can't plagiarise something after you've submitted it. They can be done for plagiarism but sing how they handing it way after you it'll affect them not you
Reply 11
Original post by Guru Jason
The fact that you got through turnitin first means you should be fine. You can't plagiarise something after you've submitted it. They can be done for plagiarism but sing how they handing it way after you it'll affect them not you

Collusion, mate. If the friend submits identical work, the dept will want to know who gave it to whom. That it got through TurnItIn at the first instance means very little if the mate goes on to submit the same content.
Original post by gjd800
Collusion, mate. If the friend submits identical work, the dept will want to know who gave it to whom. That it got through TurnItIn at the first instance means very little if the mate goes on to submit the same content.

Say it was taken stole or something. Don't tell them you gave it them. They they get rightly punished for plagiarism and they'll get off free.
Say it was taken stole or something. Don't tell them you gave it them. They they get rightly punished for plagiarism and they'll get off free.

And when the 'friend' produces an email trail showing where it came from? Come on.
Reply 14

No they won't.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
No they won't.

Christ, what is it with you lot in this subforum. Clueless.

Maybe the 'guru' part is ironic?
You will likely both face either failing the module automatically, attending an academic misconduct meeting, OR being removed from the course. If you are lucky you might be permitted to resit, but considering the severity I would be doubtful. You did a very silly thing.
A 'friend' wouldn't plagiarise your work. Get better friends if they do.
Original post by Admit-One
And when the 'friend' produces an email trail showing where it came from? Come on.

What's is gonna show? The part where they say "copy my work word for word". Students work together all the time. It's ain't gonna prove they colluded unless they specifically state it.
What's is gonna show? The part where they say "copy my work word for word". Students work together all the time. It's ain't gonna prove they colluded unless they specifically state it.

I think the problem here is that you don’t understand what collusion is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending