The Student Room Group

A-Levels subjects

Do I need to take maths at A-Levels for a Finance course at uni? I'm currently doing IGCSE but I need to know if maths is a compulsory subject needed in A-Levels for a Finance degree.
Original post by sharafxo
Do I need to take maths at A-Levels for a Finance course at uni? I'm currently doing IGCSE but I need to know if maths is a compulsory subject needed in A-Levels for a Finance degree.

Hello @sharafxo
While having a strong grasp of maths for this subject would definitely help, it's not a requirement / compulsory at many universities for a BSc (Hons) Finance.
You would probably need a Grade C / Grade 4 or above in Maths at GCSE though.

At ARU we have a variety of course options:
Accounting & Finance - Cambridge, Chelmsford or Peterborough - 96 UCAS tariff points required

Banking & Finance - Chelmsford only - 96 UCAS tariff points required

Business & Finance - Chelmsford only - 96 UCAS tariff points required

The two degrees only in Chelmsford are there because this is the home to our Bloomberg Financial Markets lab, which uses real-time data to create a fully simulated and completely safe trading environment. It is your chance to put your Business / Banking skills and knowledge into practice, which students find really helpful.

I hope this helps. The best thing to do at this stage would be to hunt down a few unis you're interested in and check their entry requirements on their course pages.

All the best of luck with your future A-Levels

Megan
Reply 2
Original post by ARUOfficial
Hello @sharafxo
While having a strong grasp of maths for this subject would definitely help, it's not a requirement / compulsory at many universities for a BSc (Hons) Finance.

Accounting & Finance - Cambridge, Chelmsford or Peterborough - 96 UCAS tariff points required

The two degrees only in Chelmsford are there because this is the home to our Bloomberg Financial Markets lab, which uses real-time data to create a fully simulated and completely safe trading environment. It is your chance to put your Business / Banking skills and knowledge into practice, which students find really helpful.

I hope this helps. The best thing to do at this stage would be to hunt down a few unis you're interested in and check their entry requirements on their course pages.

Megan

Alright, thanks a lot for your advice.
Reply 3
Original post by ARUOfficial
Hello @sharafxo

Megan

I did my IGCSEs a couple months ago and my results are being published in a month. I think I'm going to land a grade D in maths sadly. Do you suggest I still pursue a finance course for uni as the minimum requirements for many unis that I have checked is a grade C.
I did my IGCSEs a couple months ago and my results are being published in a month. I think I'm going to land a grade D in maths sadly. Do you suggest I still pursue a finance course for uni as the minimum requirements for many unis that I have checked is a grade C.

Hello @sharafxo

My advice would be to speak to the universities you are interested in on your results day. And here is the step by step of what will happen:

Most universities, including ARU, have a call centre open for immediate access to an admissions representative on results day
OR

You can do an online application with us if you prefer.

The admissions team can then take a look at all of your qualifications and see whether they can make you an offer.

If you call us, they will be able to tell you on the phone if you have an offer or not. The online applications can take a few days to process.

You can find all the info here to help you prepare, if you do want to talk to ARU on the day.

In regards, to pursuing a finance course:

If you are passionate about a future career in finance, don't give up now based on your predicted GCSE maths grade, because:

It might not go as bad as you think

When you are truly determined to do something, you can achieve it. Even if your GCSEs did not go the way you hoped. We see this all the time with students who struggled in Year 10/11 and then go on to smash their degrees and graduate with first class honours!

Why I think you will be ok:

Universities generally offer support if you need it. That's why we're there.

Your tutors will cover the basics from the start anyway, as all the students are coming in with different levels of education.

At ARU you would also have a personal tutor from your faculty who can be on hand to support in any academic queries you might have

Finally, if you get chatting with your course mates you can set up a study-group at ARU, and we let students hire spaces in the library for these. That way you can all support one another there too. Something you find easy :rolleyes:, your course mates might find hard :confused: and vice versa - it really helps to work together - that's something ARU students are great at!

So my parting words of advice: don't give up yet. Wait for Results Day and in the meantime try not to stress about the future. We'll be waiting for your call and hopefully we can help you through what options are out there. And if you decide you don't want to call us, I am sure other universities will be absolutely over the moon to hear from you too :smile:

Side note: I did this podcast with Emma (who came to ARU through Clearing) about how to prepare for results day. I hope this helps.

Take care & good luck.

best wishes
Megan

Heya! Which uni you are looking into going? All the universities always have entry requirement criteria on the website :smile: For example UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/statistics-economics-and-finance-bsc , it says you need maths a-level for sure while the other two a-levels seem to be optional. It all depends what the uni wants and best way to go about it is to explore difference finance courses in different universities and see what they need. I would think Russell groups tend to require one specific a-level usually. However that's not always the case! Perhaps university you want to go into doesn't need maths a-level :smile: Lower ranked universities are more lenient about entry levels and so perhaps you shouldn't give up on finance if you really want to pursue it!

Just have a look around all of the finance courses in unis you want to go into. If you can't decide then start thinking by where you want to study in UK, which will help narrow it down. Then look at courses and their modules (if you like them or not).

Hope this helps and good luck!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
alright thank you so much. i'll keep you posted with what grade i got!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending