The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Psychology Paper 2 7182/2 - 8 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pt1878
Ways of studying the brain 16 marker
Comparing humanistic & psychodynamic approach 8 marker
Describe features of science 8 marker

Thank you. So there wasn't a 16 marker on approaches? I think there definitely will be this year since content has been cut down so much
Original post by Beans
This is great! Everything is explicitly mentioned! According to how I’d write psychodynamic I couldn’t really suggest anything else, other than maybe the ages of the psychosexual stages and a little on the Oedipus complex?

omg literally tysm!! v much appreciated and ill add those in!!
since the endocrine system isn't on advanced information, im guessing when we are revising the nervous system, we wont have to talk about the endocrine system?
In the Tutor2U topic companion it talks about how the evidence for the existence of Maslow’s hierarchy thin which is expected from an approach that disputes the validity of empirical research and how there's some validation provided by clinical data, with some surprising confirmation from the realm of management studies (Maslow, 1965; Rogers and Roethlisberger, 1982).

Can anyone explain this in simple terms please?And what is the realm of management studies?
Reply 64
Nope, 8 on a comparison and there was a 6 on conditioning I think?
I think it will be a 16 marker this year tbh
Original post by Anonymous #289
Thank you. So there wasn't a 16 marker on approaches? I think there definitely will be this year since content has been cut down so much
Original post by HAMZAHHHH
Heyyy could someone pls check my A01 for the psychodynamic approach, I don't have a teacher lol cuz am on a gap year but any help would be v much appreciated. Hope revision's going well!!

According to the psychodynamic approach, behaviour can be explained by inner conflicts of the mind. Freud highlighted the role of the unconscious mind, the tripartile personality and the influence of early childhood experiences on later life. Freud also believed that the unconscious mind determines most of our behaviour and we are motivated by unconscious emotional drives.

Freud suggested that our personality is made up of three parts. The id is present at birth and demands instant gratification, the ego develops around the age of 1 and is motivated by the reality principle and lastly the superego is developed around the age of 3 and is motivated by the morality principle. Furthermore, Freud suggested that the mind is made up of three parts as well, the conscious, preconscious and unconscious.

Freud theorised that we use defence mechanisms such as repression, denial and displacement to reduce anxiety when unconscious conflicts between the id and superego cannot be replaced. He also suggested that conflicts arise due to unresolved issues during the 5 psychosexual stages we go through whilst we are growing up. These stages are: the oral stage, anal stage, phallic stage, latent stage and lastly the genital stage. Unresolved issues throughout any of these stages leads to fixations in which the child becomes stuck and carries out certain behaviours associated with that stage throughout their adult life.

It's good but a bit long, I would just stick to 6 points so it flows and is much easier to remember
1. Unconscious, conscious, preconscious
2. Id, ego, superego
3. Defence mechanisms
4. Psychosexual stages
5. Oedipus complex
6. Psychoanalysis
does divisions of the nervous system, structure of neurons and process of synaptic transmission have any ao3?
Original post by the8thv
does divisions of the nervous system, structure of neurons and process of synaptic transmission have any ao3?

No - pretty sure it doesnt
Original post by the8thv

I don't think so I think it's typically AO1 or AO2 application questions :smile:
Original post by anon25x
In the Tutor2U topic companion it talks about how the evidence for the existence of Maslow’s hierarchy thin which is expected from an approach that disputes the validity of empirical research and how there's some validation provided by clinical data, with some surprising confirmation from the realm of management studies (Maslow, 1965; Rogers and Roethlisberger, 1982).

Can anyone explain this in simple terms please?And what is the realm of management studies?

Basically the clinical evidence for maslow is rogerian therapy which uses ideas of self-actualisation and the idea of self.
Maslow doesn't have much evidence besides rl application and the ideas of the hierarchy of needs is abstract and unable to be tested under experimental conditions. this shows that maslow is pseudoscientific & unfalsifiable, so not a 'real' science
Original post by newgoose
Basically the clinical evidence for maslow is rogerian therapy which uses ideas of self-actualisation and the idea of self.
Maslow doesn't have much evidence besides rl application and the ideas of the hierarchy of needs is abstract and unable to be tested under experimental conditions. this shows that maslow is pseudoscientific & unfalsifiable, so not a 'real' science

prsom !
-Action potential reaches axon terminal button of pre-synaptic neuron
-Stimulates vesicles to move to edge of membrane and burst (exocytosis) flooding their neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft
-The neurotransmitter diffuses across the cleft and binds to receptor sites on the outer membrane of the post-synaptic neuron
-This causes an either excitatory or inhibitory response from the post synaptic neuron

Is this a good description of synaptic transmission and would it get 4 marks?Here's the MS:

electrical impulses (action potentials) reach the presynaptic terminal
electrical impulses (action potentials) trigger release of neurotransmitters (or named
example)
neurotransmitters cross the synapse from vesicles
neurotransmitters combine with receptors on the postsynaptic membrane
stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by neurotransmitters result in either excitation
(depolarisation) or inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.
Reply 72
Original post by anon25x
-Action potential reaches axon terminal button of pre-synaptic neuron
-Stimulates vesicles to move to edge of membrane and burst (exocytosis) flooding their neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft
-The neurotransmitter diffuses across the cleft and binds to receptor sites on the outer membrane of the post-synaptic neuron
-This causes an either excitatory or inhibitory response from the post synaptic neuron

Is this a good description of synaptic transmission and would it get 4 marks?Here's the MS:

electrical impulses (action potentials) reach the presynaptic terminal
electrical impulses (action potentials) trigger release of neurotransmitters (or named
example)
neurotransmitters cross the synapse from vesicles
neurotransmitters combine with receptors on the postsynaptic membrane
stimulation of postsynaptic receptors by neurotransmitters result in either excitation
(depolarisation) or inhibition (hyperpolarisation) of the postsynaptic membrane.

As you wrote about excitatory/inhibitory neurotransmitters I would definitely mention summation aswell
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lilymaye8:)
Yeah what does everyone think the 16 markers will be on???

The only Qs that they haven't asked on approaches are abt: SLT & Psychodynamic approach in the new spec on A level papers, psychodynamic approach usually tends to be about comparison with another approach, since aqa have excluded comparison Qs (for approches) & also asked SLT Q on an As Paper they might ask this for A level, although they could ask psychd Q

For biopsych, if i were to make a guess i'd say localisation of brain function with ao2 or maybe 8 marker of research into plasticity. Don't think they will ask 16 marker on ways of studying the brain as it was already on past paper (:

for research methods, it's prolly gonna be on designing an exp (12) so make sure to practice!! although they might ask 4-6 marker on features of science as people found it really hard on past paper (at least our class did)
im not sure if this has been asked, but do you guys know if we need to learn about the SAM and HPA stuff? Because it's not listed but involves the nervous system ( i think ) so i'm a bit stuck on whether to revise it or not. I probably will just incase, but wanted to hear your thoughts
Original post by pt1878
Ways of studying the brain 16 marker
Comparing humanistic & psychodynamic approach 8 marker
Describe features of science 8 marker

What are the features of science? I'm going over research methods but I always forget
Original post by diya277
What are the features of science? I'm going over research methods but I always forget

Remember FORE: Falsifiability, objectivity, Replicability and Empirical methods
These are the main ones that you should know in-depth, however there are other features such as theory and hypothesis construction and paradigms+ paradigm shifts that could come up and are worth going over and understanding what they are to be able to explain them in your own words
(edited 1 year ago)
for the psychodynamic AO1, could you not mention the psychosexual stages and instead just talk about the tripartite personality and defence mechanisms in detail?
Original post by s.norman182
im not sure if this has been asked, but do you guys know if we need to learn about the SAM and HPA stuff? Because it's not listed but involves the nervous system ( i think ) so i'm a bit stuck on whether to revise it or not. I probably will just incase, but wanted to hear your thoughts

i dont think so, I never knew what HPA and SAM even meant before i looked it up , the words aren't on my AQA textbook so i wont be
Original post by imaqines
for the psychodynamic AO1, could you not mention the psychosexual stages and instead just talk about the tripartite personality and defence mechanisms in detail?

Yh, briefly talk about the role of unconscious, then talk about EITHER personality or psychosexual stages bcz if u talk about both it'll take too long

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending