The Student Room Group

Plagiarism - Postgrad Applications

According to my university's policies, a referee "may need" to disclose an academic misconduct if they are aware of it.

Problem is that this involved a first offence of plagiarism which was already penalised and resolved in the university. However, it requires the involvement of an Academic Malpractice Panel and it was Faculty level (rather than School level) since it happened during my final year.

My referee has been nice, so even if she did disclose it, I do think that she would elaborate that I have learnt from my mistakes and I would not do anything of the like ever again.

I intend to apply for the LPC or equivalent, and want to know how much would this affect my application or my ability to be granted a place by a provider? I do not intend to pursue scholarship funding but to pay myself instead.

Some would have issues with the SRA but I am not interested in that since I would likely pursue another kind of office job. I just want to study the course since I am able to and money is not an issue for me.

Also, I have just sent an e-mail on my surrounding circumstances to a provider so I have to do the waiting game for some time. I want to know what others have to say though.

I have read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6220096

So @Reality Check ...?
Original post by Anonymous
According to my university's policies, a referee "may need" to disclose an academic misconduct if they are aware of it.

Problem is that this involved a first offence of plagiarism which was already penalised and resolved in the university. However, it requires the involvement of an Academic Malpractice Panel and it was Faculty level (rather than School level) since it happened during my final year.

My referee has been nice, so even if she did disclose it, I do think that she would elaborate that I have learnt from my mistakes and I would not do anything of the like ever again.

I intend to apply for the LPC or equivalent, and want to know how much would this affect my application or my ability to be granted a place by a provider? I do not intend to pursue scholarship funding but to pay myself instead.

Some would have issues with the SRA but I am not interested in that since I would likely pursue another kind of office job. I just want to study the course since I am able to and money is not an issue for me.

Also, I have just sent an e-mail on my surrounding circumstances to a provider so I have to do the waiting game for some time. I want to know what others have to say though.

I have read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6220096

So @Reality Check ...?

Aren't we rather putting the cart before the horse, given you've not even had your panel meeting and decision yet? I really wouldn't get tangled up in this sort of stuff yet.

I'm not sure it's wise to worry about hypotheticals, as you do seem exceedingly anxious and trying to garner every piece of information or advice out there. I think I'd advise not to worry until there's something concrete to worry about. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
Aren't we rather putting the cart before the horse, given you've not even had your panel meeting and decision yet? I really wouldn't get tangled up in this sort of stuff yet.

I'm not sure it's wise to worry about hypotheticals, as you do seem exceedingly anxious and trying to garner every piece of information or advice out there. I think I'd advise not to worry until there's something concrete to worry about. :smile:

Problem is that it seems likely that I would get penalised, becoming penalised is the least of my worries right now. The issue is about how it could be mentioned by a reference.
Problem is that it seems likely that I would get penalised, becoming penalised is the least of my worries right now. The issue is about how it could be mentioned by a reference.

Well we don't know either the outcome or how your ref would describe the infraction, (beyond the expectation that they would provide a balanced and fair explanation).

I can't speak for LPC, but in postgrad world in general we would consider these kind of things on a case by case basis. I know you are looking for a more concrete answer but that's really not possible at this stage.

Could it affect the outcome of an application? Yes. Will it? Impossible to say.

If there is a finding of academic misconduct against you, then your referee will need to disclose this - it would be normal practice to do do this. The effect of this disclosure on any future applications (such as to an LPC provider) is going to depend on that institution's policies, but you can imagine that it would be a serious matter as it calls into question your academic integrity.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Well we don't know either the outcome or how your ref would describe the infraction, (beyond the expectation that they would provide a balanced and fair explanation).

I can't speak for LPC, but in postgrad world in general we would consider these kind of things on a case by case basis. I know you are looking for a more concrete answer but that's really not possible at this stage.

Could it affect the outcome of an application? Yes. Will it? Impossible to say.

I see, I will have to speak for myself properly when the hearing date comes. Thank you for your kind input.

If there is a finding of academic misconduct against you, then your referee will need to disclose this - it would be normal practice to do do this. The effect of this disclosure on any future applications (such as to an LPC provider) is going to depend on that institution's policies, but you can imagine that it would be a serious matter as it calls into question your academic integrity.

My theory is that I am sure that these providers have received many applications from students with academic misconduct in their records before. Whether they have an absolute zero tolerance policy is the question here, I suppose. I am sure that the point of referees is to provide the explanation and context behind the misconduct, so it will still depend on what has been said by them. I would find it barbaric if they refuse to give a place base on a dirty record to be honest.
Reply 6
I admit that it would be bizarre if they were to treat it like a criminal record, but I have heard of someone with a criminal record that went on with the BPTC before?
My theory is that I am sure that these providers have received many applications from students with academic misconduct in their records before. Whether they have an absolute zero tolerance policy is the question here, I suppose. I am sure that the point of referees is to provide the explanation and context behind the misconduct, so it will still depend on what has been said by them. I would find it barbaric if they refuse to give a place base on a dirty record to be honest.

I think the issue you could have regarding the effect of any record of academic malpractice is the nature of the course you're applying to. The LPC is a bridge between academic work and working as a solicitor, and the requirements around integrity and 'character' do have a bearing on this. In other words, if you were applying for a postgrad in History of Art, a relatively minor finding of academic malpractice would probably not scupper anything - but an application to an LPC with a finding of academic malpractice is a whole different kettle of fish.

This is all speculation though - as we have said, it's going to depend on the institution's assessment of your whole application, including any issues like malpractice. It's not possible to be definitive.
Reply 8
I think the issue you could have regarding the effect of any record of academic malpractice is the nature of the course you're applying to. The LPC is a bridge between academic work and working as a solicitor, and the requirements around integrity and 'character' do have a bearing on this. In other words, if you were applying for a postgrad in History of Art, a relatively minor finding of academic malpractice would probably not scupper anything - but an application to an LPC with a finding of academic malpractice is a whole different kettle of fish.

This is all speculation though - as we have said, it's going to depend on the institution's assessment of your whole application, including any issues like malpractice. It's not possible to be definitive.

I see, so does that mean applying for a Masters degree is still on the table? I do admit that History of Art sounds fun.
I see, so does that mean applying for a Masters degree is still on the table? I do admit that History of Art sounds fun.

:smile: History of Art is something which I have promised myself I will study when I have time.

Yes, definitely on the table, but as we've mentioned, the effect of any academic malpractice on your application will be down to the institution to which you have applied.
:smile: History of Art is something which I have promised myself I will study when I have time.

Yes, definitely on the table, but as we've mentioned, the effect of any academic malpractice on your application will be down to the institution to which you have applied.

I see, should I even bother putting in applications with an LLM and a History of Art (this one when I have the time) in your opinion?
I see, should I even bother putting in applications with an LLM and a History of Art (this one when I have the time) in your opinion?

Of course you should! Honestly, please do try to not worry about hypotheticals - I know this is easy to say. I think you've got the lie of the land pretty well, and the next thing is to wait and see what the outcome of your AMP will be.
Of course you should! Honestly, please do try to not worry about hypotheticals - I know this is easy to say. I think you've got the lie of the land pretty well, and the next thing is to wait and see what the outcome of your AMP will be.

It most likely would result with me being penalised, which means that it is a guilty misconduct. At most it seems that the piece of work concerned would either be marked 0 or capped at 30%, overall my university grades would remain ok and I can still graduate with a decent 2:1 at worst. Now I want to understand how I ought to deal with my references, you know.
I just want to say how impressed I am that people assumes that I am the same person, props RC.

Quick Reply

Latest