The Student Room Group

Are I suitable for pharmacology?

So guys I didn't get a place at any of my chosen unis for medicine and would like to do pharmacology. Can you guys tell me if Its a suitable career for me.
So basically personally I like the practical aspect of chemistry and biology at A level and I thought I would be really interested in a career in pharmacology. The idea of doing pharmacology gives me some sort thought where I would be liking the practical side where I make drugs for patients or create new ones. I think as a career it seems cool and very interesting. But I've heard many people say its a difficult course to do at uni and Idk if I should take it or not. I'm decent at chemistry and biology I predicted A's in both.

Send me your thoughts .
Reply 1
thanks
Original post by gcseismad
So guys I didn't get a place at any of my chosen unis for medicine and would like to do pharmacology. Can you guys tell me if Its a suitable career for me.
So basically personally I like the practical aspect of chemistry and biology at A level and I thought I would be really interested in a career in pharmacology. The idea of doing pharmacology gives me some sort thought where I would be liking the practical side where I make drugs for patients or create new ones. I think as a career it seems cool and very interesting. But I've heard many people say its a difficult course to do at uni and Idk if I should take it or not. I'm decent at chemistry and biology I predicted A's in both.

Send me your thoughts .

I think the best thing for you to do is look at the careers out there and then look at the required degrees.
Pharmaceuticals AKA industry work is really complex and there are a lot of roles involved. Pharmacology is one aspect, but it's not actually what you're describing here.

To put it simply;
Chemistry; is the degree you need if you want to be part of the process of making the drug, the active ingredient, i.e penicillin.
Pharmacology; is largely the study of the effect of the drug on the body you're dealing a lot more with biochem than straight chem. You would be researching the targets for the drugs etc and drug metabolism
Pharmacy; is the formulation of the medicine itself; i.e. that paracetamol tablet isn't 100% paracetamol, there are bulking agents, preservatives etc that make it a medicine. This is formulation science and end-stage involvement.

Obviously, there are other industry roles; quality assurance, data management, engineering etc. So to say you want to 'make drugs' is not specific enough, you should research more.
Reply 3
Original post by mispelt
I think the best thing for you to do is look at the careers out there and then look at the required degrees.
Pharmaceuticals AKA industry work is really complex and there are a lot of roles involved. Pharmacology is one aspect, but it's not actually what you're describing here.

To put it simply;
Chemistry; is the degree you need if you want to be part of the process of making the drug, the active ingredient, i.e penicillin.
Pharmacology; is largely the study of the effect of the drug on the body you're dealing a lot more with biochem than straight chem. You would be researching the targets for the drugs etc and drug metabolism
Pharmacy; is the formulation of the medicine itself; i.e. that paracetamol tablet isn't 100% paracetamol, there are bulking agents, preservatives etc that make it a medicine. This is formulation science and end-stage involvement.

Obviously, there are other industry roles; quality assurance, data management, engineering etc. So to say you want to 'make drugs' is not specific enough, you should research more.

thank u for making it clear

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending