The Student Room Group

Should I go for a Math degree before attempting computer science?

Greetings, I have some CS books over the shelf and when I try to read any of them I find mathematical symbols that I don't understand on nearly every page, so I was thinking while I have time and financial capacity, I go for a Bachelor degree in mathematics so when I get to CS after some years then I have mastered an important corner of computer science, is it necessary to study math before CS? I really want to clearly and fundamentally understand every concept, every symbol, every equation etc in any book regarding CS

Any advices are much appreciated
Reply 1
It is definitely not necessary, you don't even need a Maths A level (although it would help and some unis do require it) to study CS at degree level, there are maths modules within the degree to teach all the maths that is needed to understand and be able to use all the concepts in CS.
Somewhat contrary to the above, A-level Maths is actually required for a very large proportion of UK CS degrees. Those that don't require it will teach you that material during the course, and both will continue to higher level mathematical content as well in the course (to varying extents). However those that don't require A-level Maths tend to be less theoretical and more applied in nature.

You don't need a maths undergraduate degree to understand even theoretical aspects of CS. You will need to study some maths before and/or during the CS degree, but this will be part of the CS course intrinsically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending