I am of the opinion that video games are a waste of time

Watch this thread
John Sneed
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
MY mom said bideo games are bad for time managemnt and will not get me into oxbridge waht do u think fellow student roomers
Escape Studios Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
I don't know your life or background. I can only go by my experience, so take what I can say with a grain of salt.

People need time to relax, so finding time for your hobbies is part of time management in my opinion. Finding time for yourself is important for your mental well-being and avoiding burnout, so if you can incorporate it into your schedule, without your studies slipping, then why not?

Also, you can also debate how games can help with problem-solving skills and hand-eye coordination, so it depends of how you see things to be completely honest, in regards as to whether they are a waste of time or not.

Hope this perspective is of some use

-James
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by John Sneed)
MY mom said bideo games are bad for time managemnt and will not get me into oxbridge waht do u think fellow student roomers
I think that games aren't a waste of time, if the purpose of playing games is to have fun now and then and to distract from serious everyday life - as long as it does not lead to procrastination in the long run.
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
not this
Coldhands0
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I think a waste of time is something u dont enjoy doing or studying a subject in uni u dont like.we need things that we enjoy to do and have fun like playing video games or anything else, plus if everything u did came down to "its a waste of time" then life would be very boring but we all have our own life and its are choice what we wanna do with it
jmichelle7
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Your ‘mom’ is a raging ***** who doesn’t know how much money you can make from playing fifa ✊🏽🤟🏽
sufys
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Well, making random threads on TSR probably won't get you into Oxbridge either.
Talkative Toad
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
As a mobile gamer I can't say that I disagree with your mum.
Catherine1973
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Well I have to restrict amount I play when exams come up. I won’t be getting new Lego Star Wars game until after my exams.

And I’m nearly 50, doing a masters and had a good career working in the video game industry. (In the finance side).

Though anything can be a time suck. An hour posting on student room! An hour watching good morning Britain etc. just decide I want x downtime then use it on whatever you want. Then stop after x time.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
They aren't a waste of time if they are of benefit to you. If you gain a morsel of enjoyment out of them, surely they are of value to you?

Don't put pressure on yourself and don't allow others to impose pressure on you. Oxbridge is an aspiration but not an immovable goal. Decide your own path.

Also, side note, video games have actually been found to help those with conditions such as ADHD, PTSD and depression. Through engaging during these gaming sessions, therapists have been able to discuss and explore reactions to in-game scenarios with 10-12 year olds more effectively than through traditional approaches. However, this comes at a time when the WHO recently defined 'gaming disorder' as a mental health condition, which coincided with the opening of gaming addiction centres in Asia and by the NHS in England. So I guess rough with smooth....
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Oh thank God you're taking the ****, I thought I was going to have to read some some long post that was all just ********.
Callicious
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Gaming is great. I don't have a 150 WPM on 10fastfingers Advanced thanks to reading books- and you can bet having that is handy.
harlz_chalamet
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
mario and luigi won't be happy to hear this
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Talkative Toad)
As a mobile gamer I can't say that I disagree with your mum.
Me too. Try to post more comments in gaming forums instead, that makes more sense!
Blue_Cow
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
lmao
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You're not wrong exactly but you're beside the point. Video games aren't supposed to be productive, they're supposed to be fun and relaxing. And they do that very well.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
No, video games won't get you into Oxbridge. Nor will any other hobbies. That's kinda the point of having hobbies; you're allowed to have things in your life which aren't all about your career progression.

They don't have anything to do with time management except that if you have bad time management and spend too much of your time on fun stuff and not enough on essential stuff you'll have problems.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I can’t believe how many serious responses this received.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Unfortunately our OP was banned so I can only assume that this thread was not in good faith.

More positively, they now have much more time for videogames.
Kallisto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I can’t believe how many serious responses this received.
What did you expect, it is a serious question. And this one is address to passionate gamers who spend hours for videogames. It is a big community.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (31)
26.96%
As I expected (39)
33.91%
Harder (38)
33.04%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.09%

Watched Threads