The Student Room Group

Which university should I choose for a finance student?

Now I have received two offers, one is a Master of Finance from the University of Edinburgh, and the other is a Master of Finance from Johns Hopkins University. But I don't know which one to choose. I hear Johns Hopkins' Master in finance may not have a very good reputation(even though I don't whether it's correct), but it offers a slightly better course than the university of Edinburgh. Thus, I was at a hard decision point. If I want to work in the finance area in the future, which one should I choose? I hope someone with experience can give me some advice, thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! I am in a similar situation, I have received offers from Loughborough and Nottingham to do Economics and want to work in IB (Investment Banking) in the future, I enjoyed visiting both unis but have noticed a theme that financial institutions prefer the more traditional universities such as Oxbridge, Warwick etc. So from that point of view I would go for Edinburgh, in your case; however, you are in that town/campus for 3 years, so you have to want to go to the uni as well!!!

Hope this helps.
Original post by c_hindle1204
Hi! I am in a similar situation, I have received offers from Loughborough and Nottingham to do Economics and want to work in IB (Investment Banking) in the future, I enjoyed visiting both unis but have noticed a theme that financial institutions prefer the more traditional universities such as Oxbridge, Warwick etc. So from that point of view I would go for Edinburgh, in your case; however, you are in that town/campus for 3 years, so you have to want to go to the uni as well!!!

Hope this helps.

Is this for your undergraduate? Go to Nottingham, their economics department and course is a lot stronger than Loughborough's, you'll have a much wider range of optional modules, and they do well in IB and other banking areas in terms of university alumni representation.

For OP, I heard that John Hopkins was quite good, but I always thought it was stronger in medicine and such. Not sure about finance.
Original post by econhelp525
Is this for your undergraduate? Go to Nottingham, their economics department and course is a lot stronger than Loughborough's, you'll have a much wider range of optional modules, and they do well in IB and other banking areas in terms of university alumni representation.

For OP, I heard that John Hopkins was quite good, but I always thought it was stronger in medicine and such. Not sure about finance.

Thanks for the help! Think I am pretty much set on Nottingham now! Not only the course but the city as well sold it for me. Yes it is for my undergrad.
Reply 4

Hi, I just wanted a suggestion, I have received offers from Nottingham, Bristol, and Bath for BSC Economics and I am an International student which universities do you think have the best department and employable prospects?
Original post by Manvith
Hi, I just wanted a suggestion, I have received offers from Nottingham, Bristol, and Bath for BSC Economics and I am an International student which universities do you think have the best department and employable prospects?

They're all very solid universities. Nottingham and Bristol in particular are pretty strong within econometrics, and have big economics Departments. Bath's course is highly technical as well, and have a lot of modules around development economics and political economics. In terms of best department, it's a pretty even playing field. You should look into the module choices they each offer and decide that way.

Since you're an international student, I suspect international rankings might hold some weight with you. In that case, Nottingham and Bristol are probably the ones you want to look at (for international job prospects). Bath is by no means bad in international rankings either, sitting somewhere between 160-250 in the world. But all this really means is which university has higher research output and funding, doesn't matter much at the undergraduate level.

In terms of employability, they're all pretty level. You won't struggle for a job going to any of these universities, but I will say that Bath is particularly known for their very good industry links, and almost everyone there take a placement year. It's one of the things Bath is the most known for.
Original post by c_hindle1204
Thanks for the help! Think I am pretty much set on Nottingham now! Not only the course but the city as well sold it for me. Yes it is for my undergrad.

Great choice, Nottingham is an excellent university to study economics at, very strong department, rigorous course, and strong employability prospects. Good luck.
Reply 7
They're all very solid universities. Nottingham and Bristol in particular are pretty strong within econometrics, and have big economics Departments. Bath's course is highly technical as well, and have a lot of modules around development economics and political economics. In terms of best department, it's a pretty even playing field. You should look into the module choices they each offer and decide that way.

Since you're an international student, I suspect international rankings might hold some weight with you. In that case, Nottingham and Bristol are probably the ones you want to look at (for international job prospects). Bath is by no means bad in international rankings either, sitting somewhere between 160-250 in the world. But all this really means is which university has higher research output and funding, doesn't matter much at the undergraduate level.

In terms of employability, they're all pretty level. You won't struggle for a job going to any of these universities, but I will say that Bath is particularly known for their very good industry links, and almost everyone there take a placement year. It's one of the things Bath is the most known for.

I am an International student who is having Permanent Residence also known as PR, I won't be worrying much about International rankings I want to settle in the UK and get a job here, and thank you for the insight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending