The Student Room Group

I need help to pick universities

Hi I got offers to study pharmacy.

But I don’t know like does rankings matter and what about how diverse it is.

University of East Anglia 1st year

Hertfordshire university 1st year

University of Reading with foundation

Kingston university with foundation

Brighton university with foundation
It makes sense to go for the main degree without a foundation as your Firm - especially UEA as its a good Uni.
What you choose as your Insurance depends on your grade expectations and what the offers are, but Reading is again, a good Uni and their Foundation courses (across all subjects) have a good reputation.

General advice about making F&I choices here - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/the-smart-way-to-choosing-your-first-and-insurance-choices
Original post by Catttttt
Hi I got offers to study pharmacy.

But I don’t know like does rankings matter and what about how diverse it is.

University of East Anglia 1st year

Hertfordshire university 1st year

University of Reading with foundation

Kingston university with foundation

Brighton university with foundation

Just to add to what Mcginger has said,.......it doesn't really matter with pharmacy where you do the degree, all that matters to employers is that you have a degree in pharmacy (any class!) .....AND you have passed the pre-reg exam and are on the GPhC register as a fully-qualified pharmacist.

Pharmacy is slightly different to some professions, like perhaps Law, in that no one really cares if you went to a former-poly, or if you went to UCL or KIngs.

I also concur that going straight into year 1 rather than a foundation year is better if you can do that, as otherwise it is an extra year of study, plus more importantly an extra year of fees/living expenses.
In addition, it turns the journey to be a pharmacist into a 6-year long process, which can be quite a long slog, so I would suggest UEA, or Herts.
Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mrlittlebigman
Just to add to what Mcginger has said,.......it doesn't really matter with pharmacy where you do the degree, all that matters to employers is that you have a degree in pharmacy (any class!) .....AND you have passed the pre-reg exam and are on the GPhC register as a fully-qualified pharmacist.

Pharmacy is slightly different to some professions, like perhaps Law, in that no one really cares if you went to a former-poly, or if you went to UCL or KIngs.

I also concur that going straight into year 1 rather than a foundation year is better if you can do that, as otherwise it is an extra year of study, plus more importantly an extra year of fees/living expenses.
In addition, it turns the journey to be a pharmacist into a 6-year long process, which can be quite a long slog, so I would suggest UEA, or Herts.
Good luck!

Very much agree with Mrlittlebigman with this comment.

The overwhelming majority (95% or so) of pharmacy grads will find employment in either the hospital or community sectors.

In regards to these sectors. Once you have registered as a pharmacist with the GPhC where you studied and what grade degree level you obtained is almost irrelevant. No one will ask or care. This is unusual for a degree subject.

For the tiny few who aspire to (and obtain employment) in academia or industry, university and degree level does however count.

It is a long course so my advice is choose a university not on which is perceived “best” for pharmacy but where you will be happiest living and studying. Universities differ greatly in their overall experience. Do look carefully and take advantage of open days. You really must visit before accepting an offer.

In regards foundation years for pharmacy. I am somewhat doubtful if there will be sufficient payback for the extra time and expense spent. Go for year one.

Again, best of luck….
Reply 4
Original post by mrlittlebigman

Good luck!

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate that
Reply 5
Thank you all for the help!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending