The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Parking Question

Hi All!

I've just accepted an offer to study speech and language therapy part time at Sheffield in September.

I will be commuting from Nottingham though and interested to know the closest streets/areas I can park without needing a permit/payment. I don't know Sheffield well at all.

Anyone else commute/drive to uni?

Thank you!

Jess
Reply 1
Anyone? Bump?

:colondollar:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Mobalob
Hi All!

I've just accepted an offer to study speech and language therapy part time at Sheffield in September.

I will be commuting from Nottingham though and interested to know the closest streets/areas I can park without needing a permit/payment. I don't know Sheffield well at all.

Anyone else commute/drive to uni?

Thank you!

Jess

Which site address will you be attending ? Building, street name ?
Reply 3
Original post by meddad
Which site address will you be attending ? Building, street name ?

Human Communication Sciences - at the bottom of Mushroom Lane

Thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by Mobalob
Human Communication Sciences - at the bottom of Mushroom Lane

Thank you!

I'm not at Uni, but I do live in Sheffield. Here's a link to a map of the parking permit zones

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/apply-parking-permit/parking-permit-zones

If you zoom in you will see there's a zone near where you want which apparently doesn't have permit parking whereas everything around it does. I'm pretty sure that's all university land with restricted access or else no parking allowed, so maybe a red herring. I suspect your best bet is to look at the area north or north west of the parking zones in Crookesmoor or Crooks. That's all residential with quite a bit of student housing. Of course, it will also be popular with people trying to do the same thing as you, so I'm not sure how many spaces you will find.

If you're coming from Nottingham you will also need to travel across Sheffield in heavy traffic dependent on the time of day. The two main options are taking the main Sheffield junction down the parkway, or using Junction 29 via Chesterfield to avoid Sheffield City centre. The quickest route may vary from day to day, but I guess google maps will give you the best one.

There is a Park & Ride option from Nunnery Square where you can get a tram to within 10 minutes walk of where you're going. That would avoid the heavy city centre traffic, but there's obviously a cost involved.

Let me know if you have questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending