The Student Room Group

Latin 10 marker

How do you structure a 10 mark essay for Latin GCSE OCR (my texts are Pliny's Regulus, Aeneid II, and Germanicus and Piso.) And what sorts of things are we supposed to include in it (e.g. Latin analysis like the 8 markers or just the English?)
tell me more
Original post by tinyperson
tell me more

Thanks for replying -- is there a certain technique I need to use to gain those 10 marks (e.g. should I use PEE) and if so, for the explanation am I supposed to do an analysis of the Latin? I don't plan on memorising the Latin, I just know how to translate it when given the Latin
Reply 3
Hi! Generally how I structure my ones are:

Paragraph 1. Introduction (basically just list your 3 points for the essay)
Paragraphs 2-4. PEEL paragraphs. State your point and back it up with examples from the text - but no need to quote/analyse the Latin as that's not what the 10 marker is asking for. So with G&P, for example, the 2020 question was ‘Tacitus portrays Germanicus as good and Piso as evil’ - all you need to do is find examples in the text that agree/disagree with this statement (e.g. Germanicus was dutiful as he attended to the Armenians before his own differences with Piso and Plancina which shows him as good etc.). You could, if you liked, quote in English but there's no need to quote in Latin and certainly no need to analyse the language of any quotes; just give examples and explain how they link to the question. Normally, aim to have 2/3 examples per paragraph from different parts of the set text (i.e. not all just from the beginning).
Paragraph 5. Conclusion (summarise your points and then answer whether you agree/disagree/are undecided with the question)

Don't spend more than 20 minutes on it though because time is so tight in the literature paper.
Reply 4
Original post by RedVelvet16
How do you structure a 10 mark essay for Latin GCSE OCR (my texts are Pliny's Regulus, Aeneid II, and Germanicus and Piso.) And what sorts of things are we supposed to include in it (e.g. Latin analysis like the 8 markers or just the English?)

8 markers are 5/6 developed points (always aim for 6). For these it is PEE paragraphs yes. As evidence you need the latin quote (provided w the extract for the question) and also an english translation. the explanation is simply analysing. Ideally half (2/3) paragraphs should mention the use of the author's style. "Aeneas uses alliteration to stress this point".

10 markers are again 5/6 developed points. This time no latin or style is required, not even the english translation. for evidence you just need some paraphrased english that compliments your point. "Tacitus shows this through how plancina was hurling insults at germanicus and agrippina". Try aim for 2 pieces of evidence per paragraph and use examples from the whole text so you show the examiner that you know the story well
Original post by Mulefa
Hi! Generally how I structure my ones are:

Paragraph 1. Introduction (basically just list your 3 points for the essay)
Paragraphs 2-4. PEEL paragraphs. State your point and back it up with examples from the text - but no need to quote/analyse the Latin as that's not what the 10 marker is asking for. So with G&P, for example, the 2020 question was ‘Tacitus portrays Germanicus as good and Piso as evil’ - all you need to do is find examples in the text that agree/disagree with this statement (e.g. Germanicus was dutiful as he attended to the Armenians before his own differences with Piso and Plancina which shows him as good etc.). You could, if you liked, quote in English but there's no need to quote in Latin and certainly no need to analyse the language of any quotes; just give examples and explain how they link to the question. Normally, aim to have 2/3 examples per paragraph from different parts of the set text (i.e. not all just from the beginning).
Paragraph 5. Conclusion (summarise your points and then answer whether you agree/disagree/are undecided with the question)

Don't spend more than 20 minutes on it though because time is so tight in the literature paper.

tysmmm this is really useful!! usually I analyse in my essays so that's probably why I don't get very many marks
Original post by RM007
8 markers are 5/6 developed points (always aim for 6). For these it is PEE paragraphs yes. As evidence you need the latin quote (provided w the extract for the question) and also an english translation. the explanation is simply analysing. Ideally half (2/3) paragraphs should mention the use of the author's style. "Aeneas uses alliteration to stress this point".

10 markers are again 5/6 developed points. This time no latin or style is required, not even the english translation. for evidence you just need some paraphrased english that compliments your point. "Tacitus shows this through how plancina was hurling insults at germanicus and agrippina". Try aim for 2 pieces of evidence per paragraph and use examples from the whole text so you show the examiner that you know the story well

ahh okk I didn't realise I needed so amny points for the 8 markers either! do you have like a timings guide? so how long i should spend (roughly) on the 4 marker and the 8 marker etc?
Reply 7
I m doing both prose texts. Regulus, germanicus, land n sea. Taking the exams as a private candidate all on my own. I m looking at past years papers for Lang papers. Whilst the 2 prose i had only translated them. Wondering where to get resources for answering questions like ‘comment’ ,” talk abt the styles”, wondering if i actually need a tutor. Any advice? Many thanks.
Original post by 33pp33
I m doing both prose texts. Regulus, germanicus, land n sea. Taking the exams as a private candidate all on my own. I m looking at past years papers for Lang papers. Whilst the 2 prose i had only translated them. Wondering where to get resources for answering questions like ‘comment’ ,” talk abt the styles”, wondering if i actually need a tutor. Any advice? Many thanks.

zig zag education does some nice style notes I hear (I haven't bought them so I can't say for sure)

does that help?
Reply 9
Original post by 33pp33

Yeah, that's a hard one if you're a private candidate. For free resources though, try looking at this Youtube channel, specifically the video on 8 marker questions. Also, if you do a quick Google search (e.g. Regulus Latin GCSE style points Quizlet) you should be able to find some useful sets like this one. Also, OCR have released the 2020 Latin papers here and if you have a look at the mark schemes they have some style points.

If you're still struggling, it might be worth getting a tutor to go over them with you and find some style points or get someone here/Reddit to upload an annotated version of the set text with them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 10
Original post by RedVelvet16
ahh okk I didn't realise I needed so amny points for the 8 markers either! do you have like a timings guide? so how long i should spend (roughly) on the 4 marker and the 8 marker etc?

no not really 8 marker like 10-15 mins and 10 marker is usually whatever time i have left in the exam lol. my advice is dont rush as i find i tend to make a lot of silly mistakes when doing this but try and answer concisely, dont waffle or ramble
Original post by RM007
no not really 8 marker like 10-15 mins and 10 marker is usually whatever time i have left in the exam lol. my advice is dont rush as i find i tend to make a lot of silly mistakes when doing this but try and answer concisely, dont waffle or ramble

Thank you!

Quick Reply