The Student Room Group

First time losing weight, would appreciate any help!

I weigh 93kg, 6ft tall and want to go down to 80-85kg zone. I am starting on my weight loss journey from next Monday but would like to understand the full picture of losing weight. Its my first time intentionally losing weight so i would like someone to proof read the process i believe i should go down:

Find your maintenance calorie level ~ I currently assume its 2500, but ill test it out and if im losing weight too quickly, ill assume its 3000 given my weight/height
Eat at maintenance, with high protein (2.2lbs/lb of body weight) and exercise 3 days a week of pure weightlifting
should see weight loss (ensure im losing 0.5kg a week, if I lose too much, I should eat More)
but will hit a plateau in losing weight
so start to lower calorie intake and move from maintenance to a eating at a calorie deficit whilst continuing to exercise the same consistently as before
should start to lose weight again
then hit a plateau again so in response, lower deficit again and keep doing this until my food deficit hits -500
then when i hit a plateau again in response i will increase number of exercise days//introduce cardio
then hit plateu, at this point ill start bulking (hopefully i would reach my target by this point, but if not, ill bulk)

process should take 12 weeks give or take?

is there anything im missing?
Reply 1
Original post by question_time
I weigh 93kg, 6ft tall and want to go down to 80-85kg zone. I am starting on my weight loss journey from next Monday but would like to understand the full picture of losing weight. Its my first time intentionally losing weight so i would like someone to proof read the process i believe i should go down:

Find your maintenance calorie level ~ I currently assume its 2500, but ill test it out and if im losing weight too quickly, ill assume its 3000 given my weight/height
Eat at maintenance, with high protein (2.2lbs/lb of body weight) and exercise 3 days a week of pure weightlifting
should see weight loss (ensure im losing 0.5kg a week, if I lose too much, I should eat More)
so start to lower calorie intake and move from maintenance to a eating at a calorie deficit whilst continuing to exercise the same consistently as before
then hit a plateau again so in response, lower deficit again and keep doing this until my food deficit hits -500
then when i hit a plateau again in response i will increase number of exercise days//introduce cardio
then hit plateu, at this point ill start bulking (hopefully i would reach my target by this point, but if not, ill bulk)

i think the plan will do for a start.
Reply 2
You shouldn't assume your maintenance; find it on an online TDEE calculator.

You don't need to eat in a calorie deficit, you need to be in a calorie deficit; that's through eating less and/or exercise to burn them off.

A healthy rate of weight loss is up to ~1kg a week.
Reply 3
Original post by question_time

Best thing to do is talk to a professional nutrient guide. He/she will help greatly with your weight loss plan.
Best to get professional advice.
Reply 4
You won't notice three different plateaus in the extremely short span of twelve weeks.
Reply 5
You will not be able to lose around 10kg in 12 weeks, it will take more like 20 weeks.

Do you know what you will do to keep the weight off? after most people diet/try to lose weight, it is not sustainable and they immediately put weight on. If you are trying to lose weight and build muscle, your weight will decrease much slower

I also believe ( but might be wrong) that for maintenance calories, 2500, is A LOT, bear in mind, in order to lose weight you need to be in a calorie deficit, ie burning more calories than you intake. so if you think you would be able to burn roughly 2700 calories a day, then go for it, but if not, eat fewer calories.

Lastly, if I were you I would incorporate some cardio (running, cycling, stair master etc) into your schedule, eg day 1 - weights, day 2- cardio, day 3 rest, repeat

Quick Reply

Latest