The Student Room Group

gcse german listening

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for gcse german listening? Overall I am pleased with how I’m doing in german however my listening grade is around 2-3 grades lower than the other components and I really want to improve this. I’ve done some practice papers and I’ve tried listening to german podcasts but I struggle to process it before it moves on. I know that the main thing I need to do is simply learn more vocab but if anyone has any tips that would be great :smile: thanks!
There is a channel called easy german on youtube, Idk if you've heard of it. But they're really useful for improving your listening skills because its spoken at a normal speed with german and english subtitles. Listen to those and do lots of past papers !
When I was going my final GCSE German listening exam (Last year) my teacher gave me a list of "Annoying little words" to revise. These are phrases like "Niemals" or "Anstatt" for example which aren't the main words from the sentence so you might not notice them very easily. However, they can often change the meaning and the exam boards love to use them!

Here's a Quizlet link for some "Annoying little words" in German. As you become more familiar with them, you'll naturally begin to notice them more in your listening practice.

https://quizlet.com/41452/german-little-words-flash-cards/
Reply 3
Original post by Sweetpotato100
There is a channel called easy german on youtube, Idk if you've heard of it. But they're really useful for improving your listening skills because its spoken at a normal speed with german and english subtitles. Listen to those and do lots of past papers !

thank you!
Reply 4
Original post by GA-Thrawn
When I was going my final GCSE German listening exam (Last year) my teacher gave me a list of "Annoying little words" to revise. These are phrases like "Niemals" or "Anstatt" for example which aren't the main words from the sentence so you might not notice them very easily. However, they can often change the meaning and the exam boards love to use them!

Here's a Quizlet link for some "Annoying little words" in German. As you become more familiar with them, you'll naturally begin to notice them more in your listening practice.

https://quizlet.com/41452/german-little-words-flash-cards/

ok thank you - i’ve had a look at the quizlet and there are some words on there that I don’t know so I’ll learn those :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest