The Student Room Group

Can anyone give me some suggestions on my university future plan?

I am in year 13 now and get rejected from imperial college London physics and university of Cambridge nat sci this year. And I am quite confused about my future plan as imperial and Cambridge are my dream school as they have very strong physics program.

I am predicted for 4 a*, with all AS-level mark (physics and chemistry)higher than 90 and AL-level mathematics higher than 95, pending for further mathematics. I got gold in SMC and BPHO senior challenge, silver in 2020 BPHO round 1. This year I got an average of 6.9 in NSAA with physics 9.

My plan is
1. Go to UCL, because it’s in London and have a high overall rank
2. Go to Manchester, as it has a strong physics program
(Studying in UK university means little chance to reapply Cambridge and imperial)
3. Taking a gap year, reapply for imperial and college
4. Reapply to imperial and Cambridge from other university outside the UK.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions!
Just my two cents: I took a gap year and reapplied to Cambridge. I'm definitely glad I did, even though I wasn't accepted; it would have felt unfinished otherwise. I would say if Imperial and Cambridge are really important to you, reapply. If you have an idea of what you would do on a gap year, preferably related to physics, you have nothing to lose in taking a gap year.
Reply 2
Original post by penguingirl18
Just my two cents: I took a gap year and reapplied to Cambridge. I'm definitely glad I did, even though I wasn't accepted; it would have felt unfinished otherwise. I would say if Imperial and Cambridge are really important to you, reapply. If you have an idea of what you would do on a gap year, preferably related to physics, you have nothing to lose in taking a gap year.

Thanks for the suggestion! The only thing I concern about is my age because I am 19 now and taking a gap year means I start the undergraduate course at 20!
Original post by Impercamcal
Thanks for the suggestion! The only thing I concern about is my age because I am 19 now and taking a gap year means I start the undergraduate course at 20!

Hmm, I guess that's a personal decision. I considered a second gap year but decided I wanted to move on with university for that reason. Everything I've heard is that being a year or two older when you start university doesn't matter or affect you socially, and that it's worth taking a year if the opportunity for a different school is important to you. You might consider whether there are any projects you'd like to do on a gap year, especially something you wouldn't have time to pursue once you start university and a career.
Original post by Impercamcal
I am in year 13 now and get rejected from imperial college London physics and university of Cambridge nat sci this year. And I am quite confused about my future plan as imperial and Cambridge are my dream school as they have very strong physics program.

I am predicted for 4 a*, with all AS-level mark (physics and chemistry)higher than 90 and AL-level mathematics higher than 95, pending for further mathematics. I got gold in SMC and BPHO senior challenge, silver in 2020 BPHO round 1. This year I got an average of 6.9 in NSAA with physics 9.

My plan is
1. Go to UCL, because it’s in London and have a high overall rank
2. Go to Manchester, as it has a strong physics program
(Studying in UK university means little chance to reapply Cambridge and imperial)
3. Taking a gap year, reapply for imperial and college
4. Reapply to imperial and Cambridge from other university outside the UK.

Thanks everyone for any suggestions!

do you have offers from UCL n Manchester uni....if so y not differ the entry n apply to ur dream university or apply to Cambridge for your master , PhD
'Cambridge' isnt all its cracked up to be - its academically tough, a hothouse environment and highly pressured. Its still totally possible to be throughly miserable at Cambridge - it doesnt suit everyone. And it also doesnt guarentee you a fantastic job or lifelong happiness. Plenty of people at the top of their field didnt go there.

Applying to Uni isnt a vanity project. It isnt 'I must be an amazing person because I got an offer from .....'.
Its actually 'I got an offer from a Uni I want to go to, to do a degree subject that really excites me."
If you obsess about Cambridge everything else you do for the rest of your life will feel like second-best.
Time to rearrange your head - and be proud of what offers you do have, and plan for what lies ahead.
Physics at Manchester - lucky you. One of the top Universities in the world, and a great Uni city.
Reply 6
Original post by Vitamin _A10
do you have offers from UCL n Manchester uni....if so y not differ the entry n apply to ur dream university or apply to Cambridge for your master , PhD

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 7
Thanks a lot! I will try to adjust my mental attitudes and make the final decision carefully!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending