This discussion is closed.
..:lee:..
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
heya all
does anyone know how and why oxygen dissolves in water? i need to know for c/w and dont have a clue i cant find any helpful info. any help would be great, thanks

..:lee:...
MAC1205
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think its due to the negative and positive forces of the electrons on the O and the H . I am not quite sure though as i don't do chemistry. But i think it must be something to do with that?
Rep:
?
hey
its actually for as biology, but thanks anyways, ill try and work with that info, if anyone has anyother ideas, please feel free to add them
thanks again

BCHL85
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ok, my idea: concentration of oxygen in the air is higher than concentration of water, so it moves to water.
BCHL85
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ah, temperature or pressure also affect to this process.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The first reply is closest. Oxygen the element has a relatively high electron density; water is polar, which means that the oxygen in water has a slight negative charge and the hydrogens have a slight positive charge. Because of this positive charge, the hydrogens are attracted to oxygen (due to its previously mentioned high electron density), and so move close to it. You end up with each oxygen molecule being surrounded by water molecules - so it's dissolved.
ryanm
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
its true because oxygen is in a lower concentration in the water than the atmosphere, hence it moves down the concentration gradient from the area of high concentration to low concentration.

The oxygen has to cross the air/water interface- often a slow process. Just how slow depends on whether the water is still or running, how much surface is in contact with the air, what's dissolved in the water, and whether any films (like soap, or broken bacteria or algae cell walls) are floating on the surface. Once the oxygen crosses the surface, it is caged by water molecules.

water is a polar molecule cos the oxygen is more electronegative than the hydrogen. This means because of its larger nucleus (greater +ve charge) the bonding electrons spend more time orbiting around here than the hydrogens, hence the hydrogens are left slightly positively charged and the oxygen is slightly negatively charged (greek letter lower case delta is used)

but... im not sure if this has anythin to do with it cos, oxygen is a non-polar molecule due to equal electronegativities and wouldnt be attracted to water that much and in molecular form doesnt have any lone pairs of electrons and doesnt hydrogen bond. this is why its not very soluble in water as attractions are weak.

my guess is that the water molecules surround the oxygen atoms, and slightly polarise as the slightly positive charge of hydrogen ends of water molecule would attract electrons, thus leaving the other side of the oxygen molecule slightly positive so the slightly negative parts of water molecules (the oxygen) are attracted here.
Rep:
?
hey everyone
thanks for all the help i can now finally finish my coursework, im pretty sure i know how it works, thanks again

X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.87%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.73%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.74%
It might lead to more bullying (82)
35.19%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.47%

Watched Threads