The Student Room Group

a level religious studies

I do AQA, the advanced information (2022) doesn't show metaethics as content that's coming up but my teacher insists on it. Is metaethics coming up?
Reply 1
Original post by ummmmmmmmm
I do AQA, the advanced information (2022) doesn't show metaethics as content that's coming up but my teacher insists on it. Is metaethics coming up?

I assume you're talking about AQA Religious studies, rather than AQA Philosophy?

For religious studies, it is not on the advance info so it can't come up for the 10 or 15 mark questions for ethics.

Nor is it needed for the 25 mark dialogues questions.

However, your teacher might be thinking that it's worth learning because it is possible to use it for the 25 mark dialogue questions, even though it is not necessary.

I would say that unless you are aiming for an A*, I would not bother learning it.
Original post by Joe312
I assume you're talking about AQA Religious studies, rather than AQA Philosophy?

For religious studies, it is not on the advance info so it can't come up for the 10 or 15 mark questions for ethics.

Nor is it needed for the 25 mark dialogues questions.

However, your teacher might be thinking that it's worth learning because it is possible to use it for the 25 mark dialogue questions, even though it is not necessary.

I would say that unless you are aiming for an A*, I would not bother learning it.

yes i’m talking about RS , and i’m aiming for an A* but i don’t see how metaethics can be used alongside any of the other advanced topics as further knowledge 😭 thanks for confirming though. I do have another question, challenges to religious experiences is specified on the advanced information but religious experience is not. does that mean i wouldn’t have to cover religious experience (for instance, william james) as i can form an essay on challenges to religious experiences without the content on religious experience
Reply 3
Original post by ummmmmmmmm
yes i’m talking about RS , and i’m aiming for an A* but i don’t see how metaethics can be used alongside any of the other advanced topics as further knowledge 😭 thanks for confirming though. I do have another question, challenges to religious experiences is specified on the advanced information but religious experience is not. does that mean i wouldn’t have to cover religious experience (for instance, william james) as i can form an essay on challenges to religious experiences without the content on religious experience

Yes you wouldn't have to learn about James, or Visions etc. Though they might be useful for a 15 mark question on verifying religious experiences

Meta-ethics can be used for 25 mark dialogues questions - especially divine command theory, since it's a christian approach to ethics - and the criticims of it are thus good criticisms of Christian ethics. Also, the critiques of naturalism apply to Bentham's utilitarianism.
Original post by Joe312
Yes you wouldn't have to learn about James, or Visions etc. Though they might be useful for a 15 mark question on verifying religious experiences

Meta-ethics can be used for 25 mark dialogues questions - especially divine command theory, since it's a christian approach to ethics - and the criticims of it are thus good criticisms of Christian ethics. Also, the critiques of naturalism apply to Bentham's utilitarianism.

ohhh okay thankyou!

Quick Reply