The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Physics Paper 3 7408/3 - 16 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2022 g
Aha nicee :smile:
Hmm i doubt 90% will come from the advanced info itself. Cause it says “Topics not explicitly given in the list may appear in multiple-choice items, low tariff questions, or via synopticity”- for paper 1 and 2, nearly half the paper is MCQs. So I’m guessing, that if a candidate just learns the topics given in the advanced info, and nothing else. He/she may get like a grade A. But if the candidate has an understanding of all the topics in the spec, then the candidate has a higher chance of getting an A*. That’s how i thought it would work, but I’m probs wrong tbh. Oh well :biggrin:.

Where did you get the info that 90% of the marks are given in the advanced info? If that was the case, then that helps big time tbh. And makes the exam prep a lot less stressful.

You're probably right, that sounds likely.

I think I read that in one of the Ofqual statements, but I'm not quite sure. I'll post it if I can find it.
Original post by 2022 g
Yeah that’s a fair point tbh
Dam you guys are doing engineering. That option looks intense Icl. Did you guys get to choose your options? And also how is engineering going for you?

i don't think it's too intense?? idk it's subjective i guess but it relates to the thermal n mechanics stuff in a few ways. n nah we didn't get to choose our options, teachers chose for us. the main reason why they do engineering is cos every yr most people in the class want to become some sorta engineer
Original post by penguingirl18
You're probably right, that sounds likely.

I think I read that in one of the Ofqual statements, but I'm not quite sure. I'll post it if I can find it.

i thought that for papers 1&2, the first half of those papers with the longer Qs r based on the topics they gave on the advanced info n its in the order they stated it but the MC is on all the topics. don't take my word for it tho
Reply 23
Original post by tinyturtle319
i don't think it's too intense?? idk it's subjective i guess but it relates to the thermal n mechanics stuff in a few ways. n nah we didn't get to choose our options, teachers chose for us. the main reason why they do engineering is cos every yr most people in the class want to become some sorta engineer

Ah i see. Tbh that kinda sucks, that you can’t choose your option.
I’ve heard that Turning points is the much easier option, from my teacher. And that its a good option if you’re focused on just getting a good grade. Turning Points is literally history content with a splash of maths.
Me being as someone who enjoys maths, and is also looking to get an engineering degree (hopefully), i ain’t ever choosing the engineering option. Hell no lol.
Looking at the data sheet I’m like bruh. So many equations for Engineering, compared to other options. This is just my opinion lmao.
You must be really good at maths if you don’t find it too intense. Kudos on that.
And good luck for your exams!
Reply 24
Original post by tinyturtle319
i thought that for papers 1&2, the first half of those papers with the longer Qs r based on the topics they gave on the advanced info n its in the order they stated it but the MC is on all the topics. don't take my word for it tho

It had a feeling it will probably be like that. But best to learn and practice everything tbh.
26th May till first paper..
Original post by 2022 g
Ah i see. Tbh that kinda sucks, that you can’t choose your option.
I’ve heard that Turning points is the much easier option, from my teacher. And that its a good option if you’re focused on just getting a good grade. Turning Points is literally history content with a splash of maths.
Me being as someone who enjoys maths, and is also looking to get an engineering degree (hopefully), i ain’t ever choosing the engineering option. Hell no lol.
Looking at the data sheet I’m like bruh. So many equations for Engineering, compared to other options. This is just my opinion lmao.
You must be really good at maths if you don’t find it too intense. Kudos on that.
And good luck for your exams!

i'm guessing u guys got the option to choose then??
haha thx for the compliment but genuinely, i think the maths/formulas look tough but it isn't too bad. there's a section where it's just suvat but with angular motion instead i guess.
i feel like i'd find turning points harder but that's probably just me cos i genuinely can't with history
good luck with your exams too!
Original post by 2022 g
Meanwhile I’m learning about the arguments scientist have with whether light is a particle or wave lol.
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it.
Icl as well as learning TP, its actually quite easy tbh, yet quite boring lol.
I’m guessing you find astrophysics quite easy right? Since its your fave :smile:

Wow you guys have already started your options?!
We just started radioactivity last week and don't think will finish till paper 1
Reply 27
Original post by beastyray789
Wow you guys have already started your options?!
We just started radioactivity last week and don't think will finish till paper 1

I’m on a gap year. So i don’t go school. Hence I’m currently doing options.
Doing alevel aqa paper 3, the previous past papers focus on different practicals. How can I get more practice with the practicla on the advanced information? Do I still have enough time to secure at least an A on this paper?
I'm using the flashcards on practicals from Physics and Maths Tutors.
Original post by 2022 g
Yeah that’s a fair point tbh
Dam you guys are doing engineering. That option looks intense Icl. Did you guys get to choose your options? And also how is engineering going for you?

I chose to do engineering... it is not intense as it seems in my opinion! As long as you understand thermal physics, further mechanics and mechanics, it is just small additions to those topics!
For those doing turning points the advanced information for AQA says mass and energy, could length and time dilation come up then?
For section A in all the past papers there are 3 questions, can we assume the three practicals given in the advanced information are going to be the 3 Q’s in the exam? Surely they wouldn’t leave out the topic they tell us to revise entirely?
Original post by Tolisimon
For section A in all the past papers there are 3 questions, can we assume the three practicals given in the advanced information are going to be the 3 Q’s in the exam? Surely they wouldn’t leave out the topic they tell us to revise entirely?

i think those 3 topics will be the 3 questions
Normally in section B there are 4 questions in past papers but sometimes there are 5, do you think there will only be 4 topics which are the 4 bullet points in the advanced information?
Original post by 2022 g
Turning points is literally the history of physics. So much content bruh.
What option is everyone else doing?

im doing astrophysics. i think its quite cool
Original post by goodluckguysabcd
Normally in section B there are 4 questions in past papers but sometimes there are 5, do you think there will only be 4 topics which are the 4 bullet points in the advanced information?

arent there only 3 bulletpoints in the advanced info? for section B..
Original post by Tolisimon

yeah but usually they base 1 or 2 of the questions on the actual required practical and then they do a third question that is based off a practical you’re unlikely to have seen before. but the unknown practical will probably be based off one of the 3 topics they listed.
anyone got any tips on revising for the unfamiliar practicals in paper 3 section B?
Since for the astrophysics optional topic there are four questions on the paper and four topics on the advance information, do you think it's safe to say that there won't be any questions on topics outside the advance information?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending