The Student Room Group

Would like to defer entry

I would like to defer my entry to university for 2022-23 by holding on to one of the unconditional offers (St Andrews) I have, but I would also like to include a new set of university choices for 2023-24 entry. Is this possible?
I don't think you can do that, but you can email or phone whatever unis you have places for this year and tell them you want to defer a year.
Reply 2
Original post by Dark Blood
I don't think you can do that, but you can email or phone whatever unis you have places for this year and tell them you want to defer a year.

Thing is, I'm considering studying law, but I have an IR offer from St Andrew's as I find journalism attractive. Can I in the next UCAS application cycle, apply for law courses, while still keeping my IR place through deferment?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by denebola
Thing is, I'm considering studying law, but I have an IR offer from St Andrew's. Can I in the next UCAS application cycle, apply for law courses, while still keeping my IR place through deferment?

I don't think so, but you should be able ring the uni and transfer your course as long as you have good enough grades. You can transfer course whilst at uni as well if you have the grades and they have places. It's common for people to drop out so there usually are enough places.
Original post by denebola
Thing is, I'm considering studying law, but I have an IR offer from St Andrew's. Can I in the next UCAS application cycle, apply for law courses, while still keeping my IR place through deferment?

Basically, no. If you apply in the next cycle you will lose your St Andrews offer
No, you cannot apply through UCAS whilst holding a deferred offer for that year. You must decline/withdraw from your deferred offer to re-apply to alternative courses. You cannot have your cake and eat it!

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/when-apply/deferred-entry
Although note that you could include St. Andrews in your new choices if you chose to reapply.

There's a bit of risk, (you are not guaranteed to get another offer just because you had one previously), but you might assume that you'd at least be competitive the second time around.

Quick Reply

Latest